Ibanez Rgt42fm
Todd Simpson
Jun 25 2014, 07:20 AM
GMC:er
My first recording session with my new IBANEZ RGT42FM tonight for the IRON MAIDEN COLLAB. I gotta say, FREAKING WOW!!!!

I set it up and it actually has BETTER action than my RG560!! It's newer so the neck has a lot fewer miles and can go just about flat without any real fret buzz. I dropped the trem down as far as it wold go in the mounts and it plays like a daaarreeeeaaaammm!!

I bought it to fix up and sell but I'm having second thoughts smile.gif You buy something to sell then not wanna sell it?

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
bleez
Jun 25 2014, 08:14 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 25 2014, 07:20 AM) *
I dropped the trem down as far as it wold go in the mounts

does that mean you've got the trem flat so it doesn't pull up, only down?
Im totally thinking about getting an Ibanez RG but Im not too sure on the best way to get the trem set up, never having really used one before.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 26 2014, 05:24 AM
It's still set as a "Floating Trem" of course smile.gif But it's set very flat so that it's not leaning forward or back.

The trem setup depends on you. I palm mute a TON so I need the trem well balanced or it will be moving all the time. Some folks "Block" the trem so that it doesn't move. There are WADS of videos on youtube about setting up floyd trems. That's actually how I learned to do it is by watching youtube vids smile.gif

Which RG are you thinking about?

P.S. COIL SPLITTING!!!!!

This new RG I acquired is dual humbucker and it lets you coil split using the selector. It sounds freaking killer!!!! So very punchy, like Yngwie style pick attack. really digging it!

I learned some spiff licks from KRIS DAHL the other day in chat that really do sound much better using single coils over humbuckers. I didn't really get the single coil thing to be honest until fairly recently. smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 25 2014, 03:14 AM) *
does that mean you've got the trem flat so it doesn't pull up, only down?
Im totally thinking about getting an Ibanez RG but Im not too sure on the best way to get the trem set up, never having really used one before.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 26 2014, 05:45 AM

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 26 2014, 06:33 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Interesting. I was concerned about the trem moving with palm muting, probably because I always play a LP Im probably quite heavy with my right hand. I guess its going to be crucial to get it properly set up, I'll let the guys in the shop do it wink.gif
The 1st chioce model Im thinking about is -
RG350DXZ
BUT I also wanted to try out the S771 if I didnt get on well with the trem I might go for this one. It looks crazy thin, I dunno what it would be like to play.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 26 2014, 05:24 AM) *
It's still set as a "Floating Trem" of course smile.gif But it's set very flat so that it's not leaning forward or back.

The trem setup depends on you. I palm mute a TON so I need the trem well balanced or it will be moving all the time. Some folks "Block" the trem so that it doesn't move. There are WADS of videos on youtube about setting up floyd trems. That's actually how I learned to do it is by watching youtube vids smile.gif

Which RG are you thinking about?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jun 26 2014, 08:48 AM
The trem. can be dive only, there are many products/solutions like this;

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?m...jis6seom1opeif2

So after insert and calibrating, the springs can be adjusted tight and bending/muting etc. won't be a problem. Actually I don't think blocking is needed for muting, the floyd type bridge is very easy for resting the hand compared to a LP so you might even like the comfort more and won't use that much strength to get the same sound.

I also didn't think much on ibanez coil splits until recently, I thought they were for cleans (which are not bad) but focusing on the attack feel made me realize things are more flowing and reactive without getting too wild on split positions (which are also noiseless).

Something very tele/strat like on cleans can sound like a neck hum. on dist. with great string separation and clarity. No matter how much gain or fast playing every note is still clear. Only thing to look out for is "spike" sounds on heavy distortion which means the guitar is hitting with too much high-end, this can also be adjusted with the tone knob.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 26 2014, 01:23 PM
The good thing about Floyd Rose Bridges IMHO is that they provide a nice flat surface on which to mute. Each string sinks in to it's saddle without protrusions so keeping a flat mute should be straight forward.

Even with a floating trem, it should be balanced enough to provide for stable muting. As mentioned below, you can always block the trem or just tight the screws on the bottom sprints to pull it very far backward if need be. smile.gif I usually tighten my spring screws quite a bit. I don't use pull ups much but I leave just enough tension to do so.

On my newest ibby, the RGT42. The springs feel brand new despite the guitar being 10 years old. So it doesn't drift even under heavy mute, despite being set to "float". Bringing me to my next point, that you can always replace springs or add a third spring if there are only two in order to stabilize the trem smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 26 2014, 01:33 AM) *
Interesting. I was concerned about the trem moving with palm muting, probably because I always play a LP Im probably quite heavy with my right hand. I guess its going to be crucial to get it properly set up, I'll let the guys in the shop do it wink.gif
RG350DXZ
BUT I also wanted to try out the S771 if I didnt get on well with the trem I might go for this one. It looks crazy thin, I dunno what it would be like to play.

Both of those are a fine choice smile.gif The NATURAL finish model would probably have a higher resale/trade in value and keep more of it's value overall. Also, a bit more rare of an instrument. Thus its higher price. Still, if it's within budget, I'd say get the pricier model of the two. The 350 is a fine ibby of course, and often the "First Ibby" model that folks get. But who could say no to a BURLED top?

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 26 2014, 01:33 AM) *
RG350DXZ

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 26 2014, 08:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks for the info Todd and Mertay.
The trem of that RG350 is an edge II zero point, is that a kinda variant of a floyd or are they quite new to the RGs?

Hey Todd, I do like that burled wood one as well cool.gif the store Im going to only has the fixed bridge model though dry.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 26 2014, 09:08 PM
Agreed smile.gif I largely ignored coil splits until very recently. But I have started noticing how crisp and punchy a single can make notes/strikes, even under high gain. I like the way the split sounds better than the actual single coils in my RG560. Not sure why it sounds better though I'm guessing one of our single coil aficionados knows why!
Attached Image

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jun 26 2014, 03:48 AM) *
The trem. can be dive only, there are many products/solutions like this;

http://www.fu-tone.com/catalog/index.php?m...jis6seom1opeif2

So after insert and calibrating, the springs can be adjusted tight and bending/muting etc. won't be a problem. Actually I don't think blocking is needed for muting, the floyd type bridge is very easy for resting the hand compared to a LP so you might even like the comfort more and won't use that much strength to get the same sound.

I also didn't think much on ibanez coil splits until recently, I thought they were for cleans (which are not bad) but focusing on the attack feel made me realize things are more flowing and reactive without getting too wild on split positions (which are also noiseless).

Something very tele/strat like on cleans can sound like a neck hum. on dist. with great string separation and clarity. No matter how much gain or fast playing every note is still clear. Only thing to look out for is "spike" sounds on heavy distortion which means the guitar is hitting with too much high-end, this can also be adjusted with the tone knob.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 26 2014, 10:36 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 27 2014, 08:19 PM
The Edge II is yet another ibby floydish copy smile.gif Double locking and does a fine job. Some folks really hate the EDGE III but the Edge II seems to be fine. I"ve got an EDGE PRO II In my RGT42FM and I like it smile.gif

The fixed bridge option can save you lots of headaches associated with locking terms, and it's a valid option. Just follow your instincts when you go and play the guitars. IF it feels "right" then it's right smile.gif

P.S. I"m planning on using my RGt42 FM in this weekends chat lessons so you can see the Edge Pro II in action and hear the INFINITY pickups.

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 26 2014, 03:33 PM) *
thanks for the info Todd and Mertay.
The trem of that RG350 is an edge II zero point, is that a kinda variant of a floyd or are they quite new to the RGs?

Hey Todd, I do like that burled wood one as well cool.gif the store Im going to only has the fixed bridge model though dry.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 27 2014, 08:19 PM

+Quote Post
Jeroen
Jun 27 2014, 08:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I played an Ibanez RGA 72 tqm for a while with an Edge iii trem. Well, I can tell you from experience that the edge iii trem is a no go. It sucks, it just will NOT stay in tune. I traded the Ibby in for a PRS Se Torero with a real Floyd Rose. It's great and stays in tune all the time.

the edge ii trem however, I don't know, never had one..

Be careful to have it setup properly, the enemy of every trem is a bad setup!!

This post has been edited by Jeroen: Jun 27 2014, 08:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Jun 27 2014, 10:41 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
thanks guys, I appreciate the info. The more I look into the ibanez trems, the more of a minefield it seems to become! I know Les Pauls..... but not so much with the ibby's huh.gif

There is a 2nd hand Prestige RG3270 which may just be available to me. If Im correct then this is a Japanese model, it has the edge pro trem. Its also roughly £100 cheaper than a band new Jem555. I dunno if that is reasonable but I do like the idea of having one of the MIJ ibby's. There does not seem to be a lot of them up here. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 28 2014, 12:41 AM
Easy way to find out smile.gif When you play an ibby, just look at the back of the headstock. It will always say where it was built. if it doesn't say where, DON"T BUY IT smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 27 2014, 05:41 PM) *
thanks guys, I appreciate the info. The more I look into the ibanez trems, the more of a minefield it seems to become! I know Les Pauls..... but not so much with the ibby's huh.gif

There is a 2nd hand Prestige RG3270 which may just be available to me. If Im correct then this is a Japanese model, it has the edge pro trem. Its also roughly £100 cheaper than a band new Jem555. I dunno if that is reasonable but I do like the idea of having one of the MIJ ibby's. There does not seem to be a lot of them up here. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jun 28 2014, 05:30 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Jun 27 2014, 10:41 PM) *

All the Prestige models are made at the Fujigen factory,.
As Todd says, just check tha back of the Headstock for a Serial Number (should start with the letter 'F' to show it was produced at Fujigen), and the 'Team J Craft' logo.
Like this:-
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jun 28 2014, 05:31 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 28 2014, 05:54 PM
Bingo!!! smile.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jun 28 2014, 12:30 PM) *
All the Prestige models are made at the Fujigen factory,.
As Todd says, just check tha back of the Headstock for a Serial Number (should start with the letter 'F' to show it was produced at Fujigen), and the 'Team J Craft' logo.
Like this:-
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:13 PM