3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Camera Shyness Experiment
Adam
Sep 4 2020, 09:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Gabriel suggested that I might be able to overcome my shyness and the mistakes I make when the recording is on by recording a random piece regularly not for technical improvement but to get me used to the thought. I thought it might work better if I share the piece in a place everyone can see it.

Here's video number 1:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 4 2020, 11:40 PM
Instructor
Excellent!! This is a GREAT first step my friend! Please share videos here frequently, let's fight and overcome this REC effect!!

Congrats for starting this thread.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 5 2020, 03:00 AM
GMC:er
Great job! Make it a habit! REcord a bit and put it in a playlist on youtube.

Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 4 2020, 04:21 PM) *
Gabriel suggested that I might be able to overcome my shyness and the mistakes I make when the recording is on by recording a random piece regularly not for technical improvement but to get me used to the thought. I thought it might work better if I share the piece in a place everyone can see it.

Here's video number 1:

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 6 2020, 10:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Today's video:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2020, 02:02 AM
Instructor
GREAT! Please check your mentoring thread. There is a question for you there.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 8 2020, 08:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Today's video:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2020, 02:15 PM
Instructor
Nice Adam!! What song are you playing in this vid?

Keep these videos coming!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 9 2020, 03:01 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 9 2020, 03:15 PM) *
Nice Adam!! What song are you playing in this vid?

Keep these videos coming!

Thank you! The song is Last of the Wilds from Dark Passion Play.

I noticed Emppu goes wild not only during live shows but also studio recordings, so I tried to do a few spontaneous pinchings. I don't know if it turned out good or bad. I somehow picked up the technique but I have zero experience as of when to use it to colour things up.

I do have to add some copper foil shielding for that guitar, though. I've only had a luthier set it up and swap pick-ups but the electronics compartment isn't shielded and it can be heard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2020, 05:08 PM
Instructor
Amazing song! I didn't know this one. You are playing it very well! I'm still not convinced of the way you use your left hand thumb, but let's wait for Todd's thoughts about it since he recommended it.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 9 2020, 09:45 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 9 2020, 06:08 PM) *
Amazing song! I didn't know this one. You are playing it very well! I'm still not convinced of the way you use your left hand thumb, but let's wait for Todd's thoughts about it since he recommended it.

I think you missed Todd's reply smile.gif He did explain it in our mentoring thread:

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 7 2020, 11:47 PM) *
Thumbless technique is just about reducing overpressure created by clamping down too hard while using the thum on the neck. It forces the hand to just use the finger tips. One can't clamp down too hard without the fulcrum the thum provides. It can always be added back later as a guide. I still use the technique myself during fast bits when I want a light touch.

Todd

Here's today's quickie, just before the nighttime. It's not much but it's still something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2020, 02:00 PM
Instructor
Nice melody. Congrats on your 4th experimental video! Please keep them coming!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 11 2020, 03:37 AM
Great!! Just like playing guitar, overcoming camera shyness takes practice. Every time that red light comes on, people can tense up and lose part of their ability to play. So the more often you record your self, the better at it you will and the less shy and more confident you will feel. I'd say make a youtube playlist of your "red light" videos and just keep adding to it. The more the better!!!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2020, 02:36 PM
Instructor
That's true Todd. I hope that this thread inspires more students to start this experimental practice.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 11 2020, 08:13 PM
I hope so as well. It's very important to just play. One doesn't always have to have a plan or purpose. Though those things are helpful, sometimes, when a player doesn't feel like doing drills or learning bits, just playing in front of a camera and doing some "noodling" can be very constructive and creative. Especially when getting used to "red light syndrome"!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 11 2020, 09:36 AM) *
That's true Todd. I hope that this thread inspires more students to start this experimental practice.

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 11 2020, 10:10 PM
Learning Roadie
I can tell from experience that having a set of exercises, like the Bootcamp drills, for a session takes care of "what-should-I-play" kind of problems. Perfect when one is short on time but still wants to practice for a while. It's also true that at times one needs to relax, vent out or whatever else can be done during unplanned sessions. For me, the biggest practice here is the thing I set on my mind: to come up with something to play and start playing it without thinking it over at all. I'm not going to play live in front of people but I still think it's important to improvise, so there's no awkward silence.

Here's next one:

You may have noticed a drastic change in lighting and the sound. I replaced my small lamp's lightbulb and bought a 7-band custom equalizer because my amp only has Volume, Tone and Gain knobs. It feels much more alive and dynamic now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2020, 05:48 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! I'm impressed of how this thread is evolving! smile.gif

It's nice to see that you are improving the quality of your videos. Both audio and video are much better now. Good job!!

And yes, I agree with everything you say about practice. It's important to know what to practice and have a good routine based on your long term goals so you know what you need to work when you pick up your guitar. But it's also essential to dedicate some time to let your creativity flow and play the first things that come to mind. I like starting my guitar sessions with an improvisation, most of the times without a backing track, just me and my guitar. If possible, I try to do this as the first thing of my day, after my breakfast and before I start working.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 12 2020, 07:55 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 12 2020, 06:48 PM) *
Hi Adam! I'm impressed of how this thread is evolving! smile.gif

It's nice to see that you are improving the quality of your videos. Both audio and video are much better now. Good job!!

And yes, I agree with everything you say about practice. It's important to know what to practice and have a good routine based on your long term goals so you know what you need to work when you pick up your guitar. But it's also essential to dedicate some time to let your creativity flow and play the first things that come to mind. I like starting my guitar sessions with an improvisation, most of the times without a backing track, just me and my guitar. If possible, I try to do this as the first thing of my day, after my breakfast and before I start working.

The surroundings have improved and now it's only my playing that can improve.

I don't have a practice routine schedule or anything but I'm the task-oriented type. I get a task, I do it and I move on to other things. I miss the days when I could play to my heart's content but now I work 7 days a week and there's a limited time for guitar between work, sleep and other things I need taken care of. I'm also working on a fangame for Danganronpa series and I'm trying to split my spare time between that and music. It's tough but as long as I can fit in an hour for playing guitar, it's fine.

I was never good at improvising or rhythm guitar, so I'm focusing on technicalities. That might give me more tools and when I can afford to have improvisation in my routine, I will be limited by other things than mechanics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 13 2020, 09:17 AM
It's very important to sometimes just pick up the guitar, clear ones head and simply play. Without a plan, without a preconception, just place the hands on the axe and go. smile.gif This is not just about overcoming camera syndrome, it's about forcing the brain to be a bit creative on the spot. At first, it can be daunting. But, like anything, it gets easier the more it's done.

QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 11 2020, 05:10 PM) *
I can tell from experience that having a set of exercises, like the Bootcamp drills, for a session takes care of "what-should-I-play" kind of problems. Perfect when one is short on time but still wants to practice for a while. It's also true that at times one needs to relax, vent out or whatever else can be done during unplanned sessions. For me, the biggest practice here is the thing I set on my mind: to come up with something to play and start playing it without thinking it over at all. I'm not going to play live in front of people but I still think it's important to improvise, so there's no awkward silence.

Here's next one:

You may have noticed a drastic change in lighting and the sound. I replaced my small lamp's lightbulb and bought a 7-band custom equalizer because my amp only has Volume, Tone and Gain knobs. It feels much more alive and dynamic now.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 13 2020, 06:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam @ Sep 12 2020, 03:55 PM) *
The surroundings have improved and now it's only my playing that can improve.

I don't have a practice routine schedule or anything but I'm the task-oriented type. I get a task, I do it and I move on to other things. I miss the days when I could play to my heart's content but now I work 7 days a week and there's a limited time for guitar between work, sleep and other things I need taken care of. I'm also working on a fangame for Danganronpa series and I'm trying to split my spare time between that and music. It's tough but as long as I can fit in an hour for playing guitar, it's fine.

I was never good at improvising or rhythm guitar, so I'm focusing on technicalities. That might give me more tools and when I can afford to have improvisation in my routine, I will be limited by other things than mechanics.

Number 6!! Great job Adam! If the task trick works for you, keep doing it! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Sep 13 2020, 09:25 PM
Learning Roadie
This guitar isn't shielded and it runs of a set of PAF type pickups. It's not exactly suited for that kind of thing but it was the only one tuned half-step down.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:26 AM