6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Vonhotch Guitar Mentoring
Alex Feather
Sep 25 2012, 01:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 23 2012, 11:15 PM) *
I see a lot of people are using ez drummer. I got myself a copy, it sounds really good, now I just need to figure it out. laugh.gif Here is my attempt at a drum track. Is this what you wanted me to do?
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoringdrums1/s-ycwIn
I have also still been working on the other sound files you gave me to transcribe. I went back to the first one and transcribed it then realized you had given me the answer. But I did get it!!! Then I've gone back to this one and then I worked on this one some more
http://soundcloud.com/alex-feather-akimov/chord-progression
Is this one Dm7, Bbmaj, Gm, Fmaj

Perfect! I am glad you got EZ drummer it is a very useful software and you can do so much with it!
Composition is very fun! smile.gif
Each song has a structure that you need to decide on before you will do anything
Here is abbreviation that is used for it to make it easier to understand
Verse = A
Chorus = B
Bridge = C
Solo = Solo and a part you would like it to be played over
for example if you would like to have a solo over the verse do that - Solo A
I would like you to create a structure also let's figure out verse chord progression!

You did an amazing job on transcribing!! Congrats! You are getting better at it already!!! Keep it up!
I will be giving you new things to transcribe once a week and you will be an amazing transcriber in no time! wink.gif
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 26 2012, 02:17 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Sep 25 2012, 12:42 AM) *
Perfect! I am glad you got EZ drummer it is a very useful software and you can do so much with it!
Composition is very fun! smile.gif
Each song has a structure that you need to decide on before you will do anything
Here is abbreviation that is used for it to make it easier to understand
Verse = A
Chorus = B
Bridge = C
Solo = Solo and a part you would like it to be played over
for example if you would like to have a solo over the verse do that - Solo A
I would like you to create a structure also let's figure out verse chord progression!

You did an amazing job on transcribing!! Congrats! You are getting better at it already!!! Keep it up!
I will be giving you new things to transcribe once a week and you will be an amazing transcriber in no time! wink.gif
Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything!

Yes very fun. All of this has been fun! How about a structure like A,B,Solo C,A,B,SOLO C,B? And what about a chord progression, something sad sounding like Am, Dm, Am, Em? Or maybe an Asus2 in there somewhere? When I did my drum track I put kick and snare on the same track, and the hi hat on a seperate track. Should the kick and snare be on seperate tracks also for mixing later? Thanks!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Sep 27 2012, 04:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 26 2012, 01:17 PM) *
Yes very fun. All of this has been fun! How about a structure like A,B,Solo C,A,B,SOLO C,B? And what about a chord progression, something sad sounding like Am, Dm, Am, Em? Or maybe an Asus2 in there somewhere? When I did my drum track I put kick and snare on the same track, and the hi hat on a seperate track. Should the kick and snare be on seperate tracks also for mixing later? Thanks!!!

I like the chord progression but would suggest to stay with a more common structure
A - B - A - B - C - Solo - B?
We will get to the chords after the drum track is created! For now let's concentrate on drums:)
On EZ Drummer you have already prepared drum tracks that you can just drop on the track
Here is a step by step on how you can do that! smile.gif
1) Open Ez drummer and select drum kit you would like to use
Attached Image

2) Click Open grooves - choose the style - choose the meter - chose the type
Attached Image

3)Drag your loop to the track
Attached Image

4) After that you have the first section done now you can copy and paste it so you will have beat for the full lenght of your track
Attached Image

Let me know if you have any questions or need help with anything! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Sep 29 2012, 02:49 AM
WOW! That is easier. The hardest part is deciding what to use!! smile.gif That structure is good. I had a feeling you might want me to stick with something more common. smile.gif What do you think of this drum track. I wasn't sure how long to make it for now, but it is 12 measures and the pattern is 4 measures copied once with a 4 measure fill.
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/mentoringdrums2/s-0pOHD

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Sep 29 2012, 02:54 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 1 2012, 02:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Sep 29 2012, 01:49 AM) *
WOW! That is easier. The hardest part is deciding what to use!! smile.gif That structure is good. I had a feeling you might want me to stick with something more common. smile.gif What do you think of this drum track. I wasn't sure how long to make it for now, but it is 12 measures and the pattern is 4 measures copied once with a 4 measure fill.
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/mentoringdrums2/s-0pOHD

I liked it a lot! The only thing I would suggest is to take some crashes and chinas out and it will be perfect! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 2 2012, 01:05 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 1 2012, 01:12 AM) *
I liked it a lot! The only thing I would suggest is to take some crashes and chinas out and it will be perfect! smile.gif

Awesome. I took out some cymbals but I left some at the end of the fill. Is this better?
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoringdrums2/s-hL3jS

This post has been edited by vonhotch: Oct 2 2012, 01:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 3 2012, 03:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 2 2012, 12:05 AM) *
Awesome. I took out some cymbals but I left some at the end of the fill. Is this better?
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoringdrums2/s-hL3jS

Sounds great! Is this the intro or you want to keep this drum beat for the whole song?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 4 2012, 03:07 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 3 2012, 02:55 PM) *
Sounds great! Is this the intro or you want to keep this drum beat for the whole song?

I guess I was confused, I thought we were just doing the verse, then I read back. I would actually like to use different parts throughout. I will figure out some different parts and get them up! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 4 2012, 08:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 4 2012, 02:07 AM) *
I guess I was confused, I thought we were just doing the verse, then I read back. I would actually like to use different parts throughout. I will figure out some different parts and get them up! smile.gif

Sounds great! I am looking forward to hear what you will come up with! smile.gif

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 5 2012, 03:13 AM
Hey man, what do you think of this one? It is at 70 bpm 9 measures for each verse 9 measures for each chorus and 6 for the bridge/solo.
And arranged in the A,B,A,B,BRIDGE/SOLO,B arrangement we decided on. smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoringdrums2-1/s-VrxOY

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 5 2012, 07:49 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 5 2012, 02:13 AM) *
Hey man, what do you think of this one? It is at 70 bpm 9 measures for each verse 9 measures for each chorus and 6 for the bridge/solo.
And arranged in the A,B,A,B,BRIDGE/SOLO,B arrangement we decided on. smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoringdrums2-1/s-VrxOY

Very interesting beat! I like it a lot! So let's figure out the chord progression!
Start with the verse and chorus!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 8 2012, 09:11 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 5 2012, 06:49 AM) *
Very interesting beat! I like it a lot! So let's figure out the chord progression!
Start with the verse and chorus!

Ok, hope I did this right and did not get ahead of myself. This is what I came up with. smile.gif Although the verse I'm playing octaves with an open E string and I'm not really sure how to name them, But they go G,F#,A,B. Chorus is A5,G5,F#5, Am, Em, Am, Dm, Am, Em. And the bridge is blank (I know I got that part right tongue.gif ). Thanks. Looking forward to your comments. smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoringdrums2/s-M76lj

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 10 2012, 08:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 8 2012, 08:11 PM) *
Ok, hope I did this right and did not get ahead of myself. This is what I came up with. smile.gif Although the verse I'm playing octaves with an open E string and I'm not really sure how to name them, But they go G,F#,A,B. Chorus is A5,G5,F#5, Am, Em, Am, Dm, Am, Em. And the bridge is blank (I know I got that part right tongue.gif ). Thanks. Looking forward to your comments. smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoringdrums2/s-M76lj

Man that sounds cool! I like it a lot! I would suggest to make stops more noticeable so there is no extra sounds! Do that and we will move to the next part! smile.gif Great job!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 12 2012, 03:16 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 10 2012, 07:01 AM) *
Man that sounds cool! I like it a lot! I would suggest to make stops more noticeable so there is no extra sounds! Do that and we will move to the next part! smile.gif Great job!

Thank you, I'm really glad you like it. biggrin.gif I tightened it up a little and fixed the stops. I also tuned my guitar, you would think that I would remember to do that by now. rolleyes.gif I think there are still a couple small things that could be better, but how perfect should each part be at this point? I hear so much more when I don't have distortion and reverb to hide behind. smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoring-1/s-UxrgJ

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 14 2012, 05:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 12 2012, 02:16 AM) *
Thank you, I'm really glad you like it. biggrin.gif I tightened it up a little and fixed the stops. I also tuned my guitar, you would think that I would remember to do that by now. rolleyes.gif I think there are still a couple small things that could be better, but how perfect should each part be at this point? I hear so much more when I don't have distortion and reverb to hide behind. smile.gif
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoring-1/s-UxrgJ

It sounded very good! I think it's time to add some bass! Do you have a software to program it or own a bass guitar?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 14 2012, 08:50 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 14 2012, 04:50 PM) *
It sounded very good! I think it's time to add some bass! Do you have a software to program it or own a bass guitar?

Unfortunetly I do not have a bass guitar YET!. But I do have some synths to program it, I don't really like them as much as a real bass. Hopefully they will do for now. I will see if I can find some I like the sound of better by the time you reply. smile.gif It's amazing how quickly a track goes from a drum beat to starting to sound like something, just by adding 1 guitar track, at least to me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 15 2012, 09:47 PM
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 14 2012, 07:50 PM) *
Unfortunetly I do not have a bass guitar YET!. But I do have some synths to program it, I don't really like them as much as a real bass. Hopefully they will do for now. I will see if I can find some I like the sound of better by the time you reply. smile.gif It's amazing how quickly a track goes from a drum beat to starting to sound like something, just by adding 1 guitar track, at least to me.

I wrote all this yesterday and while I was looking at soundfonts for my sampler today I discovered that the low E on a 4 string bass is E1, I was thinking it was lower than that for some reason. I have one of my guitars tuned in fifths and goes down to F1. Will that work filling in the bass, or should I try the synths or soundfonts?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 16 2012, 08:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 15 2012, 08:47 PM) *
I wrote all this yesterday and while I was looking at soundfonts for my sampler today I discovered that the low E on a 4 string bass is E1, I was thinking it was lower than that for some reason. I have one of my guitars tuned in fifths and goes down to F1. Will that work filling in the bass, or should I try the synths or soundfonts?

You can use synths as a bass it will work just fine! smile.gif There are some very realistic sounding synths! Try it out first and if it doesn't work I will explain how you can try using guitar as a bass it is not gonna sound as good as the real one or a synth but you can get pretty close!

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Oct 21 2012, 02:41 AM
The bass was a lot tougher than I thought. I had a hard time coming up with something that I thought was interesting but still simple enough for the tune. I experimented with different synths and even some orchestra type things, but settled on some soundfonts loaded into my sampler run through amplitube. What do you think?
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoring-2/s-Rpk2e

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 22 2012, 04:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ Oct 21 2012, 01:41 AM) *
The bass was a lot tougher than I thought. I had a hard time coming up with something that I thought was interesting but still simple enough for the tune. I experimented with different synths and even some orchestra type things, but settled on some soundfonts loaded into my sampler run through amplitube. What do you think?
http://soundcloud.com/vonhotch/recmentoring-2/s-Rpk2e

It sounds very good I like the part maybe you can EQ and compress it a little more
Try to raise the bass and mid frequencies a little bit and you will hear the difference!

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:07 AM