Scalloped Necks
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 6 2007, 10:48 AM
GMC Founder
My parker guitar is just fantastic for bending and vibrato - I have never tried playing anything that compares to it!

There is only one problem with that guitar...I am not super happy with the sound...! blink.gif I have replaced pickups etc - but I have strong feel I need to replace almost everything in the guitar to get where I want with it.

Soundwise I prefer my strat which has had fantasticly dynamic, and sort of compressed sound. However I have a problem that my flesh looses it's grip on the nail when I apply strong vibrato on "normal" guitars (ouch - I know) when that happens I can't play for a couple of days. Even jumbo frets on Ibanez don't give me resistance-free bending. So my plan is the following - and I am wondering if you guys have some feedback on it:

I would like to scallop my strat and change the frets to stainless steel (just as the Parker guitar has).

I haven't ever played a scalloped guitar but I figure the effect must be close to the graphite fretboard and stainless steel frets on the Parker - which gives zero "resistance" when bending and doing vibrato.

Now whenever I try to discuss this issue with guitar repairists in Stockholm - they stare at me deeply and say "You do know that a scalloped guitar requires lots of finger control and won't make you play faster". Needless to say my sympathy for these people is very low! dry.gif

What do you guys say - is it a good or bad idea to scallop the strat? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 6 2007, 01:34 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Go for it! Sounds like a good solution. My experience with scalloped frets is the last 5 frets on my Jem neck - the scalloped frets feel like you can more precisely place and control your fingers, I don't find any problem with pitching when I use them - I think after you have been bending for a long time you do it entirely by ear anyway so it might be a slight adjustment but no big deal.

I would however go try a scalloped guitar before you do something that drastic to your beautiful strat!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 6 2007, 02:02 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'd suggest getting hold of a cheap guitar and scalloping the neck on that first Kris to see how it works for you rather then doing it to your Strat immediately. If it then works ok for you go head and do it. Albeit you could always replace the neck on the Strat if it doesn't work - just seems a bit 'high risk' to me to do it to the Strat straight off.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 6 2007, 02:08 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I don't know about scalloped necks, I never played one. But in regards to frets if you want to go from fender frets to Jumbo ones or even bigger ones you may have to make the cavity where the frets fit a little deeper. Just maybe! That is because jumbo frets and larger have a longer end that fits into the fretboard.

But even larger frets, like the 6105 that sits on the Ibanez Joe Satriani models could make for a more scalloped feeling. It's 0,3mm higher and 0,3mm wider than a Fender fret. For maximum fret height (at least from Jim Dunlop) there's one called 6000 that's 0,4mm higher than the Fender fret.

Doesn't sound a lot but concidering a fender fret being 1,08 high, the 6105 being 1,4 and the 6000 being 1,47 is a conciderable percentage increase.

(And No, I don't have these useless fingures in my head, I'm looking at a table) laugh.gif

Uhm, not to sound too much like the guitar store guys you already met but lol larger frets can cause a guitar to go out of tune if you press the string down too hard. I guess it's the same if you press too hard on a scalloped fingerboard.... wink.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Dec 6 2007, 02:16 PM
Instructor
Another thing to consider:

It costs about $600 USD to scallop a whole neck (at least in Gothenburg, Sweden), and if you also refret it, that’s another $600. You can buy a new factory made scalloped neck for about $550 USD (cheaper if you import it). But of course, the cheapest option is to do it yourself. You basically only need a Dremel tool and some sand papers... and lots of time!! biggrin.gif

Since you haven’t played on a scalloped neck, I agree with Andrew and suggest you try it before you make any decisions.

-Marcus

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 6 2007, 02:31 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks guys for all the input - I do think you present some valuable arguments. I realise there is a point in "trying before buying" ("destroying" rather! laugh.gif ).

However I found that the strat is pretty useless to me if I can't solo properly with it. I know warmoth have good ready made scalloped necks - but my strat neck is a reissue from the 50's I think - and I love it. (It's a 50th anniversery deluxe strat)

I also know most people think scallopping means devaluating a guitar - but I am not really interested in having a high value guitar - I want a good one! smile.gif

If I had more time and knowledge on my hands I would probably buy a cheap guitar and try scalloping myself first - but all I want is that guitar with the possibilty of nice bending and vibrato! unsure.gif Like the Parker guitar!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 6 2007, 02:39 PM
Instructor
First try the scalloped model in the store maybe, or lend from someone to see if the scalloped frets really help you with the bending problem. I understand that you don`t have a problem runing on a Parker, just on Strat right? The Strat, I suppose, has relatively low frets and I guess you bump on the wood/slipping a string while playing vibratos right?

I write this because am used to high action strings in order to strumm it hard and strings don`t slipp because they are relatively high, so when I bend I actually go "inward" wiht my fingers - like under the higher strings. But when I play on guitars that have low actions, I have a problem wiht bending (my fingers sometimes slip from the string). I think it is all just a matter of what you are used too really (maybe practising a lot with a Parker that has a more fluent neck etc)

Also if the solution is in scalloped frets consider buying only a scalloped neck for strat on a eBay and just replace it with your original neck. THe necks only are not that expencive, and since it is a bolt-on you can always raplace it with the old one if you get bored with the scallopeds smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 6 2007, 02:56 PM
GMC Founder
Ah good point Ivan - I could of course order a neck and "try" it - provided the bolting on process isn't too difficult...

If I like it a lot I can send the old neck to lavendell blink.gif and then he can build a collab guitar!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

No seriously I might actually give that a shot! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 6 2007, 04:19 PM
Instructor
THe bolting process is not difficult at all man, I did it myself on one of my inexpencive guitars earlier. BUT you have a quality strat guitar so I suggest you take it to a guy that has done this and know what he is doing. I sure wouldn`t do it on a guitar that expencive, you never know what can go wrong. And the repair man knows..

Cool idea, colaboration guitar, each member gives one part until we make up the whole guitar. My god what would that look like?? smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 8 2007, 01:06 PM
Instructor
Sure Kris,why not smile.gif
Just don't do it by yourself wink.gif

I have last 4 frets scalloped on my custom,great feature indeed. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 8 2007, 01:20 PM
GMC Founder
Thanks for all the input! biggrin.gif

Muris - you are right doing it myself would be a very time consuming way of ruining the guitar - I could just throw it out of the window instead! blink.gif laugh.gif

Right now I am sort of considering Ivan's suggestion - but once again I really love everything about the neck of the guitar. And since the warmoth neck really isn't for free either - I am thinking about doing it right away on the original neck...! ph34r.gif scary!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 8 2007, 01:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 8 2007, 01:20 PM) *
Thanks for all the input! biggrin.gif

Muris - you are right doing it myself would be a very time consuming way of ruining the guitar - I could just throw it out of the window instead! blink.gif laugh.gif

Right now I am sort of considering Ivan's suggestion - but once again I really love everything about the neck of the guitar. And since the warmoth neck really isn't for free either - I am thinking about doing it right away on the original neck...! ph34r.gif scary!

ph34r.gif May haragei be with you biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 8 2007, 01:26 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 8 2007, 07:23 AM) *
ph34r.gif May haragei be with you biggrin.gif

And the force as well smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 8 2007, 01:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 8 2007, 01:26 PM) *
And the force as well smile.gif

Absolutely!!

You guys know what haragei is?? cool.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 8 2007, 01:38 PM
QUOTE (Muris @ Dec 8 2007, 07:27 AM) *
Absolutely!!

You guys know what haragei is?? cool.gif

Japanese emotional energy or something? (I googled it when I saw your first post cool.gif )

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Dec 8 2007, 02:50 PM
Instructor
Sort of sixth sense ninja have biggrin.gif ph34r.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Gerardo Siere
Dec 30 2007, 03:48 PM
Instructor
It may sound stupid, but before buying a new guitar...
You may be tyou just have weak finger flesh and you can´t do anything about it.
A guitar to be hard to bend may be something to do with the angle of the headstock specially on six in line. Make some repairman check the angle ant the strings posts.
When bending try to use four fingers only to "grab" the strings and let your wrist do the the work for you.
When changing guitars, ore string sets make sure you´re not pressing to much, the perfect amunt of preassure for some guitar or set of strings may be not be correct fot other guitars or set of strings.
Sorry If I made some unking intrission couse you far twice the electrig guitar player than I am.
I try scalloped once, really easy for bending and vibratto stuff, but you musn´t press to hard couse intonation goes sharp very easy. Be ready to do a fret job more often than with regular fretted guitars.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:57 AM