Vimto Collab, Final mix & comments
Chris Evans
May 15 2008, 09:35 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
ok guys, Muntahunta made a post for someone else to mix this is up if possible as he`s struggling for time etc.

So this is his Vimto Collaboration mixed with all the parts that I could find on the uploads thread smile.gif

Here goes with the mix and the comments, I`ll be honest with the comments, but I`ll keep them short as this wasnt my collab smile.gif

Attached File  Vimto_Collab_Final.mp3 ( 3.02MB ) Number of downloads: 245

Matt23
Ok someones gotta be first, your lead in I thought was a great idea, the execution of the sweep let it down a little but a really nice idea, a little too much delay/Reverb used in your guitar tone mix, just knock them back a little and you`ll have quite a reasonable tone there smile.gif Areas to concentrate in the main are your bends & vibrato, you also drifted away off key towards the back half of the track, all in all though a good effort smile.gif

Enucleation
First problem is you recorded way too hot, I messed around some with the file to try and prevent the clipping, try and record at a much lower level you dont want the meter going into the red. your general tone was very thin but something easily rectified with a bit of tweaking smile.gif I liked your ideas with the harmony guitar, and some of your faster pieces are good, strangely a little like Matt23 you drifted off key at the end of the track, the solo on the whole wasnt bad at all, well done smile.gif

Sam Hook
Not too much to put on here Sam smile.gif Again some nice ideas all the way through your take, I think your guitar may have been a little out of tune though, try working on some vibrato to give your notes some extra feel and life , good take smile.gif

Alex Lewis
An awful lot of reverb on here mate, made it very difficult to mix in, no matter where I put it in the mix you sounded a million miles away laugh.gif loved the ending though, some really nice runs in that last third, with less reverb on, it would stand out and sound much crisper, some nice tapping at the end, nice one mate, ell done smile.gif

Bluesrock
A good take in all smile.gif you need to watch your bends as they are a little weak and introduce some vibrato to give the notes some extra life, when moving from one note to the next you tend to chop them off a little, try and work on being smoother between your notes and it will add a lot more feeling to your playing, a good effort though throughout smile.gif

Nemanja
Nothing really to say here Nemanja, lovely tone to your voice and well recorded as always, excellent smile.gif

Kaznie_NL
Lastly my old mate Kaz smile.gif I think you`ve come on leaps andbounds since joining the site, the introduction of your Korg has really boosted you as well I think, we`ve talked some about the search for tone, so I`ll not comment on that, still tending to cut the notes off a little short so work on trying to be more flowing and smoother when changing notes, also adding in some vibrato will give more life to some of the longer notes, your bends are greatly improved, so all I can say there is just keep going, your obviously practicing hard, well done!! smile.gif

Well thats it, I hope I`ve not offended anyone with the comments, I just tried to be honest so that you all knew parts you needed to work on smile.gif

On behalf of Muntahunta, a great big well done to everyone and thanks for taking part biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Enucleation
May 15 2008, 10:11 PM
GMC:er
Thanks for the comments and sorry about the recording. I know virtually zilch about recording I'm learning a bit though.

And not to sound like an idiot, what do you mean by my sound is thin?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 15 2008, 10:37 PM
QUOTE (Enucleation @ May 15 2008, 10:11 PM) *
Thanks for the comments and sorry about the recording. I know virtually zilch about recording I'm learning a bit though.

And not to sound like an idiot, what do you mean by my sound is thin?

thats ok, its what recording yourself is all about smile.gif

When I say thin I mean exactly that really, theres no bottom end to it, its very trebly, and no depth to the tone, I added a little bass on the eq to help it a little bit but it needs lots more smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bluesrock
May 16 2008, 02:59 PM
GMC:er
just a question but did u break my track up? it just sounds like there were longer pauses than in my original track. thanks for the comment bout the bends i realise those first ones don't quite get high enough.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 16 2008, 05:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Great Smells,

I realy am very very happy with your comment!! I"m working on the vibrato (easy melodies 2 by Carlos realy helped me with it)Thanks very very much, and thanks to Hunta aswell ofcourse biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: May 16 2008, 05:57 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Matt23
May 16 2008, 07:04 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks Muntahunta for this collab and Smells for the mix and comments. It was fun. biggrin.gif

It feels strange listening to it now cos I realise my playings better than that now, but then that sounded like the best i could do, but now it doesn't sound that good. If that makes any sense. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Matt23: May 16 2008, 07:07 PM

+Quote Post
muntahunta
May 19 2008, 01:50 PM
Learning Roadie
i agree with smells on all the comments and im glad he decided to pick up the mix biggrin.gif cheers dude.

im still a long way from being back on here alot as im not fully moved in yet and theres no internet at home.

in a way im glad this collab wasnt mixed for so long as it shows everyone how much theyve improved since then...

maaaaaaybe, if the same backing track was used, everyone who participated could redo a solo now and upload it to show everyone whats happened in the time difference.
I cant oversee this though as im still away alot.

i think it would just show how great gmc is in the space of 2 month.

thanks to everyone who was understanding about this collab being so late and im in debt to smells for rounding the collab off.

Thanks everyone who took part biggrin.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 19 2008, 02:04 PM
QUOTE (Matt23 @ May 16 2008, 07:04 PM) *
Thanks Muntahunta for this collab and Smells for the mix and comments. It was fun. biggrin.gif

It feels strange listening to it now cos I realise my playings better than that now, but then that sounded like the best i could do, but now it doesn't sound that good. If that makes any sense. smile.gif

I totally agree, same for me with the "metal 2" collab, when I listened to my take in that I know now it would be a much better take, so in that regard thats why the collabs & VB`s are so great, you really can hear the difference biggrin.gif

@Munta, no problam mate, anytime smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 21 2008, 10:46 PM
Instructor
Great job everyone and Smells smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Alex Lewis
May 22 2008, 03:34 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Thanks for the feed back Smells her is an updated take on this,

for some reason I had two guitar parts on the one track and it sounded really off listening back to it on the mix,

Hope this is better

Attached File  vimto_collabnewtake.mp3 ( 490.3K ) Number of downloads: 181

any more feedback is welcomed (btw I'm working on my vibrato and a couple of picks missed in the fast run hey no ones perfect except maybe Muris!)

Alex

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2008, 07:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great job Smells and everyone ! This was a fun one! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:13 AM