R.e.m. Breaks Up After 30 Years
Todd Simpson
Sep 22 2011, 01:48 PM
GMC:er
Any R.E.M. fans? They are from Athens which is a college town here in Georgia and are sort of home town heroes.
The guitar player (Peter Buck) has played my buddy Matt's show a few times (indieatl.com) with his side projects and is
a really cool guy. I spoke with him several times and he never mentioned breaking up, he said he was working on new material.

I"m not a card carrying crazy fan but I"m sorry to see them call it quits none the less. An honest band with good music. Too few
of those around. I wonder if the downturn in the biz was a big factor.

On a side note, NEVERMIND from NIRVANA is being re-released. Their record label has decided not to sign a new band and instead will spend that money on promoting an album that's 20 years old. A good album but wow, digging in to the back
catalogue instead of signing a new act?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 22 2011, 03:04 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Wow this is a bit sad news for me! sad.gif

I'm not a huge fan at all but it's always sad to see such a good band break up...

My band did a cover of one of their songs :

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Sep 22 2011, 03:25 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
R.E.M. sure had some great songs that will never be forgotten..."it's the end of the world", "the one I love", "losing my religion"...
I don't know the reasons for their break-up, but they've been around for 30 years and maybe they just wanted to call it a day. I respect bands who do that.

I've got the biggest respect for one german band who said after 25 years of playing together: "This is as big as we are going to get, it is time to quit while we're on top". The final concert was a two day festival the band created just for themselves. More than 100.000 fans came to see them. This is how a career should end, just look at the fans...

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 22 2011, 03:40 PM
Instructor
It's a very un-creative safe play by the record company to re-release an album, the profits are regarded as priority
not the advancement of music.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 22 2011, 09:25 PM
Instructor
Well 30 years is indeed plenty, they did an awesome work and their music will live on, in those years who knows what these guys are thinking. smile.gif Not sure about details of a break up.

Nevermind rerelease is commemorating 20 years from original release, in that sense it's OK to do it, why not. Fans and collectors will like it and the music is timeless. It's more of a collectors release, there are lots of them around, there is a market for those. I don't think it's very connected to new artists.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 23 2011, 05:21 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 22 2011, 04:25 PM) *
Well 30 years is indeed plenty, they did an awesome work and their music will live on, in those years who knows what these guys are thinking. smile.gif Not sure about details of a break up.

Nevermind rerelease is commemorating 20 years from original release, in that sense it's OK to do it, why not. Fans and collectors will like it and the music is timeless. It's more of a collectors release, there are lots of them around, there is a market for those. I don't think it's very connected to new artists.

30 Years is a good run! smile.gif But why breakup after 30 years together and announce it? Just not making much sense to me to "Officially" break up. Just stop making records and let the legend endure. But hey, it's their band so they can do whatever they want. Just kinda sad.

Yeah, NEVERMIND re release is really a bit of a desperate move by the label. They just can't generate sales on new artists so they plan on Re-Releasing stuff that sold in the past. I guess the "why not" is that it's just the lable admitting "We can't break new artists anymore we are going to re release old stuff" and there are plans to keep doing this on artists that sold records in the past, so look for less new music and more "Anniversary" releases.

I guess it's up to us to make new music from now on smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 23 2011, 05:34 AM
Instructor
REM was a very good band. They were so famous in my country too. It's a pity that they broke up but they already created amazing music. So.. thanks REM for the great songs! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 23 2011, 06:21 AM
Instructor
yeah, thanks REM for those great songs!!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 23 2011, 02:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 23 2011, 06:21 AM) *
30 Years is a good run! smile.gif But why breakup after 30 years together and announce it? Just not making much sense to me to "Officially" break up. Just stop making records and let the legend endure. But hey, it's their band so they can do whatever they want. Just kinda sad.

Yeah, NEVERMIND re release is really a bit of a desperate move by the label. They just can't generate sales on new artists so they plan on Re-Releasing stuff that sold in the past. I guess the "why not" is that it's just the lable admitting "We can't break new artists anymore we are going to re release old stuff" and there are plans to keep doing this on artists that sold records in the past, so look for less new music and more "Anniversary" releases.

I guess it's up to us to make new music from now on smile.gif

Yeah, I agree man, it's kinda strange that they officially announced just now, I didn't heard any new material for a while now, but they probably had some interest in doing it until now, did live gigs, shows, who knows.. Who know what were the reasons. Perhaps they are splitting, so now they can reissue old material because it now has nostalgic value smile.gif

Hey, I agree with the labels and all, but it's just a collectors edition, there are lots and lots of these going on. I'm not sure how much money they did spend on it, but doesn't have to be that much, it's probably going to pay out, and I don't think it's that bit of a quantity.

On the other hand, I agree, they should spend more money investing in new artists.. but that's a different matter all together.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Frankster
Sep 23 2011, 07:23 PM
Its really sad, the new album is good.

I´ve seen them 4 times.

But I think in a few years there will be reunion smile.gif

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Sep 24 2011, 01:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I got to meet them many years ago. A friend said she had backstage passes for Charlotte, NC show and she new the band and their promoter. I thought she was full of it but went anyways. Well we waited outside until there were no tickets left and everyone was inside. I was really getting pissed after driving 4 hours. Then this fellow walks up and says "Hi Polly, here are your passes." Blew me away. I hung out with Bill while he played ping pong and Michael and Peter just sat around. After the show we sat around with their agent and then went to a club with them. I sat with Peter for about 30 minutes and chatted. Was somewhat cool until he suddenly told me to get lost because he was meeting a girl (evidently not his wife).

But all in all was an interesting experience! The concert was good, although Peter did throw his guitar down and walked off stage because someone in the crowd kept taking pictures after they were told not too.

Band drama I guess!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 24 2011, 02:51 AM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Sep 22 2011, 10:25 AM) *
R.E.M. sure had some great songs that will never be forgotten..."it's the end of the world", "the one I love", "losing my religion"...
I don't know the reasons for their break-up, but they've been around for 30 years and maybe they just wanted to call it a day. I respect bands who do that.

I've got the biggest respect for one german band who said after 25 years of playing together: "This is as big as we are going to get, it is time to quit while we're on top". The final concert was a two day festival the band created just for themselves. More than 100.000 fans came to see them. This is how a career should end, just look at the fans...

Now that is going out with style smile.gif What a crowd! Not to mention everyone crying in the front row like their best friend just died. People LOVE these guys! Surprised I've not heard of them, they seem quite good. But then there is yet another benefit of GMC smile.gif Hearing about great music that I might have never otherwise found.

Loads of response on this thread. I guess REM was pretty big all over. Not bad for a little college band from Athens, Georgia. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 24 2011, 11:24 AM
Instructor
Yeah, REM is really an awesome and unique band, some great songs were made during 90ties, timeless songs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 25 2011, 01:13 PM
Instructor
When I picked up the mandolin back in 2003, I learned 'Losing my religion' and it felt incredibly good to be able to play that song.. It has something very special to it...

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 25 2011, 08:18 PM
Instructor
Here's a nice shot and tone of that mando..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 25 2011, 09:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 25 2011, 07:18 PM) *
Here's a nice shot and tone of that mando..

This brings up nice memories biggrin.gif the gig where I performed this with my mandolin, back in 2003 was my first payed gig!

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 25 2011, 09:53 PM
Instructor
I didn't listen to them long ago, great band indeed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 28 2011, 04:57 PM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Sep 25 2011, 04:53 PM) *
I didn't listen to them long ago, great band indeed!

Being from Atlanta (REM is from Athens a bit outside Atlanta) you were almost issued REM cd's when you moved in. It was just unavoidable. The good news is, I always appreciated the music and the guys were very active in the local music scene and helped put Athens on the Music Map. Maybe being a local is just making me take the "declaration" of their demise to personally.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:27 AM