2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Pickup Question, Led Zeppelin/Jimi Hendrix Tone Search
Ivan Milenkovic
May 11 2010, 11:24 AM
Instructor
Oh, I do believe Satan invented Jazz Chorus, but he was probably listening to Hendrix at the time smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sted
May 11 2010, 01:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
the pickup market is the new tube market these days, to a degree its just Snake Oil wrapped up in a magical incantation that will supposedly make you sound like Jimi/Jimmy, all the development that goes into these is just designed to extract money from your pocket when there is really no need. I'm all for replacing bad pickups with good ones but when Slash starts bringing out "Sound like Slash" pickups and guitars it really has gone too far, I mean the guitar he used isnt even a gibson, it was a derrig, a luthier made copy of a 59! And it certainly didnt have Alnico II slach Humbuckers in it, probably had stock Gibsons! It's the same with all these signature stuff, Clapton, Gilmour, SRV, Jimi, all used standard gear, maybe modded it at some point but it all started out as a normal strat, les paul etc
In short I agree that good gear sounds better than bad gear and a good player can make bad gear sound like good gear! but really when people are buying brand new strats and ripping out the pickups and putting in aftermarket jobs you have to wonder hat is going on!

ps: I need new pickups for my Les Paul, ive looked on ebay and a set of gibson burstbuckers are going for more than a set of seymour duncans! The worlds gone mad!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
May 11 2010, 02:02 PM
Learning Roadie
The Slash Copy Guitar had a pair of Seymor Duncans on it .. (not sure if it were the alnico pro II but I bealive they were )

This post has been edited by ruben_mcn: May 11 2010, 02:02 PM

+Quote Post
Animosity
May 19 2010, 07:06 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 5 2010, 05:10 AM) *
I think we can all agree to the fact that Marshall Plexi sound was dominant and distinguishable in those days? smile.gif
I must agree pickups are less important for "that" sound. Even the amp can be different, but plexi stack really nails it nicely IMHO.

On a side note: you can always use les paul (or any other guitar) for playing hendrix stuff, put fuzz in front of amp, and play like hendrix, no one will tell if you are playing strat or LP, they will say you sound like hendrix - that's the point. Great musicians don't sound like "gear", they sound like "them".

I've seen crazy people that really sound like Hendrix, there are numerous festivals where they impersonate him and everything. This can be entertaining, but somehow I feel if you are yet to become a musician, you should find your own tone, and not aim specifically towards musician or a group of musicians for long periods of time.

Purpose of the story: no matter what gear you take, pickups, pedals, amps, the tone will definitely be the product of you and your way of playing. If you decide to play like hendrix, you will sound like hendrix. If you think that is your goal, that's cool. If you decide to play like classic rock, you will sound classic rock. If you decide to play your own style, blend of many different styles, you will sound unique.. I hope that clears the gear related issues.

I completely agree with you. While I am looking to duplicate Led Zeppelin and Hendrix, I do not strive to do it full time. I really enjoy playing along to my favorite songs and performing them for friends/family. But, I also enjoy writing my own stuff and creating just as much! I'm not looking to be in a tribute band for anyone, it's just fun to occasionally whip out a classic song. It always brings a smile to my face.

You guys have given me a lot to think about and I do appreciate it! I'm going to go check out the Chopper and the Area 67s! Thanks guys!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 21 2010, 02:27 AM
Instructor
Anytime my friend. Let us know what you got! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:00 PM