Quick Licks #71 - Open String Licks On Two Strings
Todd Simpson
Mar 16 2019, 08:58 PM
GMC:er
In this Quick Lick, we are going to take an open string lick and play it on two strings. Then we are going to do a bit of fret travel/traverse, and move the lick up the neck! PACE IS KEY! Don't rush or lag this. Keep it steady and evenly paced. Also, lightly palm mute the entire thing to reduce string noise. Since we are using two open strings in this one, it's going to be prone to string noise. So keep a light mute the entire time. Also, this is one of our

STRIKE ONCE HAMMER MANY Type licks. So strike the open string and HAMMER ON THE REST OF THE NOTES
Try to use the PINKY!! It's a great chance to work on your PINKY POWER! If you find you can't play this without picking, then go ahead and pick it, If you can't play it with your pinky, play it any way you can play it. It's quick licks after all so don't torture yourself! Try to get it done "Quickly" smile.gif

Attached File  71.gp5 ( 1.97K ) Number of downloads: 16210

Attached Image

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS: This is a great lick for working up your precision/speed.
Hit me up with any questions!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 16 2019, 09:49 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Mar 24 2019, 07:49 PM
Learning Roadie

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 29 2019, 08:05 PM
Nice! Backwards and Forwards!! This is a great lick to work on a lot of things at once. Hand synch, muting, traverse, timing, hammer ons, etc. It combines wads of techniques in to one lick. You have a good handle on all the techniques in question and pull it off quite well. In other words you just..
LEVELED UP!!!!

*You remain the TOP DAWG!! In Quick Licks. You're the only one ever to have this many under his belt. Nice!
Attached Image
Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Mar 24 2019, 02:49 PM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 16 2019, 09:29 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 Sarge,

No where near as quick as Matt's take, I struggled to get this one to even this speed. I think it would take me along time to build much more speed on this one. Must be getting a little arthritic in my old age biggrin.gif

https://youtu.be/WqOu5oVPugo

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2019, 01:25 AM
As you know speed is a simple matter of repetition. Not every player can spend the Steve Vai 12 hours a day on practice. Given the time crunch you are up against I think you are making amazing progress. As you mentioned, some of these that used to take quite a while to get a handle on, you can now get pretty quick! The important thing is that your form is on point. The rest just comes with time and repetition. You got this one!!
You Just

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Dec 16 2019, 04:29 PM) *
Take 1 Sarge,

No where near as quick as Matt's take, I struggled to get this one to even this speed. I think it would take me along time to build much more speed on this one. Must be getting a little arthritic in my old age biggrin.gif

https://youtu.be/WqOu5oVPugo

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 17 2019, 01:26 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 17 2019, 09:56 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Todd smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 22 2020, 04:55 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 13 2021, 06:18 AM
Wow. This is just smooth as silk. The entire point to this one is to try to play a stretched out lick with constant changes on open strings without string noise or hiccups. You put on a clinic on how to pull this off. Palm mute is outstanding, tone is great, and your pinky sticks the landing every single time. Very well done. I hope you get to do more of these. Great work.

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!!
Sarge

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 22 2020, 11:55 AM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 25 2021, 11:03 PM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 26 2021, 02:44 AM
Great to see you back in the game!!!! I see that you are still wearing a device on your hand. Please don't play to the point of pain as it looks like you are still healing. It's very courageous to jump back! Just be very careful!!

Well played on this! It's all about keeping a steady pace on this one. To wit!\

You just....

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Todd

QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 25 2021, 06:03 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 26 2021, 02:46 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:40 PM