Boss Gt-10 To Audio Interface?
takahashi
Oct 1 2010, 03:09 AM
GMC:er
Hi all,

I've been trying to understand the basics of recording by reading up on all of the forums, articles, etc. But can you believe, I still have questions? smile.gif

I'm looking into buying a USB Audio interface. One of the purposes is to use a mic for acoustic parts, and possibly vocals. That's pretty clear and understandable as far as preamp functionality is concerned.

- However, as for the Boss GT-10... Is there any advantage of connecting the output from the Gt-10 to an audio interface as opposed to just directly connecting the Boss GT-10 via USB to the computer? And if so, what output would have the best results (digital out, headphone out, vs. Stereo L/R 1/4" outputs?
- Apparently some folks have connected their GT-8s to an audio interface. But my understanding is the the Boss GT-8/GT-10 functions as an audio interface itself. I would think that you would want all of the processing to be done on the GT-10

Anyhow, I'm looking at getting the Roland UA-25EX Audio Interface (To used with a Windows 7 system)

Roland UA-25EX

For the 1/4" and XLR inputs, however it appears only one (the Right input) has Hi-Z/High Impedance feature on the UA-25EX. So that would rule out stereo output from the GT-10 right? Other audio interface suggestions are welcome.

THANKS!!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OzRob
Oct 1 2010, 03:28 AM
The GT-10 is the interface. It's redundant connecting it to something else and would possibly degrade the signal quality. If the other interface is better quality it should just be used instead.

I connect it to PC via usb. Have no dramas with recording.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
takahashi
Oct 1 2010, 03:34 AM
QUOTE (OzRob @ Oct 1 2010, 02:28 AM) *
The GT-10 is the interface. It's redundant connecting it to something else and would possibly degrade the signal quality. If the other interface is better quality it should just be used instead.

Thanks OzRob! Yeah that's what I thought.

And in fact, after I posted this... a thought came to mind and I suspected that the GT-8 users probably don't have USB... and so I looked it up and sure enough, they don't have USB.... which would explain why they used an audio interface... as opposed to the GT-10 which now features it.

Simple answer to my question... I think I overthought it...guess thats what happens when I spend too much time spent reading stuff. lol

THANKS!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 1 2010, 04:17 AM
Learning Roadie
Well I have a question: Are you saying you have a GT 10 dude? If so, how is it? I'd love to get one! smile.gif

Second question: Anybody, is this GT10 meant for only interface recording? Can't I play through an amp and it sound good? Or even live someday? I thought I heard some say it wasn't good for live - only for home recording... huh.gif

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Oct 1 2010, 10:33 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (thefireball @ Oct 1 2010, 05:17 AM) *
Well I have a question: Are you saying you have a GT 10 dude? If so, how is it? I'd love to get one! smile.gif

Second question: Anybody, is this GT10 meant for only interface recording? Can't I play through an amp and it sound good? Or even live someday? I thought I heard some say it wasn't good for live - only for home recording... huh.gif

It's perfectly good for live. It's just now (among many other things) they have a USB output as well smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 1 2010, 11:42 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Oct 1 2010, 05:17 AM) *

It will work on normal amp and live for sure without problems. See the recording feature as an bonus smile.gif))

I think its a very good multieffects unit.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Keep_Rocking
Oct 1 2010, 12:12 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (thefireball @ Oct 1 2010, 12:17 AM) *

As our friends just said, GT10 is perfect for playing live (I guess Pod X3 is the same).
I'm very satisfied with mine, but I never tryied the Pod X3 to compare and I must confess, sometimes it's difficult to emulate "that perfect tube amp tone".
Anyways, GT10 rocks.

Detail on playing live: On GT10 it's possible to create "stereo patches". If you use gt10 through an amp, you'll have only one channel of it "mono". Some say to use two amps (it's to much for me lol ;o)

BTW, I know there are lots of sites on the internet to get some tips and exchange patches of multi-effects processor, but I would love to do it here as well.

Hope it helps.

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 1 2010, 04:08 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Also, here's a cool Knowledge Base review from our member OzRob about GT-10:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ss_GT-10_Review

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 1 2010, 04:28 PM
Learning Roadie
cool thanks guys!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 1 2010, 05:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (OzRob @ Sep 30 2010, 07:28 PM) *

OzRob - I read your wiki entry on the GT-10 - fabulous and very helpful review. You stated in the wiki that you purchased an HC to help overcome the "fizzy gain". Where did you purchase it and approx how much was it? Also, in terms of getting a real Tube sound, and this may defeat the purpose of getting the GT-10 altogether, but instead of piping it thru a PA, have you tried piping out of a Tube Amp? and what was that like, if so?

Thanks!
Chris

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 1 2010, 08:20 PM
When recording, you could always use the GT10 for every effect other than distortion and then use one of the various plugin amp/distortion emulators. Then again, you might try using the GT10 as a recording interface only, without any fx and record the signal dry and do all of your processing in software. The benefit being that the tone isn't "baked" in to the signal and you can always go back and change it just by adjusting the software patch eg. guitar rig, pod farm, amplitude, etc.

However, this is a more labor intensive process as you have to put something on the signal, where as if you record all of the fx from the Gt10, it's done as soon as it's recorded. So simplicity vs flexibility. Decisions decisions.

Todd

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Oct 1 2010, 09:37 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
Love that review, it helped me a lot. I was considering buying one, so it came handy! Thanks, man!

QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 1 2010, 05:08 PM) *
Also, here's a cool Knowledge Base review from our member OzRob about GT-10:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ss_GT-10_Review

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
thefireball
Oct 1 2010, 11:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Ah......i might go for a POD XT....i wanna go for something that is better in sound quality for high gain stuff.

Thank you for the review OzRob smile.gif Very helpful

+Quote Post
OzRob
Oct 2 2010, 01:00 AM
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Oct 2 2010, 02:15 AM) *
OzRob - I read your wiki entry on the GT-10 - fabulous and very helpful review. You stated in the wiki that you purchased an HC to help overcome the "fizzy gain". Where did you purchase it and approx how much was it? Also, in terms of getting a real Tube sound, and this may defeat the purpose of getting the GT-10 altogether, but instead of piping it thru a PA, have you tried piping out of a Tube Amp? and what was that like, if so?

Thanks!
Chris

Hey Chris. Glad that review has been helpful to so many people.

The HC is handmade by Hadley Hockensmith. Everything you need to know about it is here: http://harmonicconverger.com/HC_Home.html
It works to clean up any digital MFX, but is focused on the Boss GT range. It is expensive compared to the GT. I paid US$215, but I don't regret it for a second. The HC does address the high gain issue, but it still doesn't sound exactly like a real, driven tube amp. It's very decent, but not exact. At the end of the day, it's still a modeller and Boss's technology is not quite there yet. But I stress that it's only the high gain where this problem exists. The clean and crunchy amp models are quite nice.

When I was playing live, it was in a church band and direct to PA was the only good option, so I got the HC. There was a tiny closet for amps and the rhythm guitarist was already being miced in there, and I didn't want to compete with him through another amp in the closet, so direct worked really well for me. A lot of GT users are very happy running it through a tube amp, but it is apparently a bit fussy which tube amps it works well with. I don't know for sure, but I've been told that mismatching impedances between GT and amp is the cause of frustration there.

However, I will say that viewing the GT-10 primarily as a modeller would be the biggest cause of frustration. That's what Boss markets it as, but the general consensus is, it is a great, very versatile MFX with very average modelling. The amp modelling can be turned off though. A lot of users with tube amps love the GT as an effects unit and never use the modelling. The OD/DS block in the GT does have some very nice options for pushing tube amp gain. Overall, the GT-10 excels for live playing because it's built like a tank, works without bugginess, and the "Assigns" feature gives wide flexibility over programming variables.

However, if anyone were looking to buy, I'd wait at least until NAMM '11. There's nothing in writing but Boss might announce a successor and IF they do, maybe they will have addressed the modelling issue.

With anything though, tone is subjective. The best way is to go into a shop, plug it into a similar amp to your own and see if you like.
The downside with that is the presets are pretty crap so you'd need to spend a bit of time working up a patch of your own, just to try it.

My summarised verdict is: if you don't get frustrated by tweaking, like versatility in setting up how pedals work etc., don't need high gain modelling, then it can't be beat in its price range. But if you like plug and play simplicity per stomp boxes and/or need smooth, tubey high gain, look elsewhere.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Oct 2 2010, 04:43 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (OzRob @ Oct 1 2010, 05:00 PM) *
Hey Chris. Glad that review has been helpful to so many people.

The HC is handmade by Hadley Hockensmith. *snip*

I just read this review on the HC
http://www.nargalzius.com/blog/archives/20...onic-converger/
long read, but very informative to a guy like me with limited kowledge on the subject of tone!

Thanks for this wealth of information. Had you not mentioned it, I wouldn't have even known such an animal existed.

On a side note:

I sent Hadley an email asking him if the setup would be the same for an ME 70 as it is for a GT-10(x). After reading the review, I was left with a sinking feeling cause I can't afford one at the moment, and I also came to the conclusion that I want a GT10(or later smile.gif now, so if I do end up getting a GT10 and an HC, I want to know my purchase will be compatle with both (given there are different HC setups based on your setup).

Cool, and thanks!
Christian A.

(ignore any spelling mistakes, I'm too tired to re-read and make corrections smile.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:05 PM