Best Way To Re-string A Guitar?
Fran
Jan 29 2008, 11:40 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Ok, I have this doubt since a long time ago, and maybe it's a silly question, but I have to ask unsure.gif

What's the correct way to change strings?

1) Remove one string and put the new one, then proceed to the next or...

2) Remove all 6 strings at the same time, and then put the new ones?

I ask this because sometimes I think, or maybe I heard it, or read it somewhere, that if you remove all 6 strings at the same time from the guitar it loses too much tension, and that could be bad for the neck. blink.gif

So, is there any truth in that? Does it make any difference or are both methods ok?

If there is no difference then I'll keep removing all strings at the same time and take advantage of that to clean the neck/body more easily.

Thanks wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Jan 29 2008, 11:50 PM
GMC:er
one string at a time saves time in the end smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 29 2008, 11:54 PM
1 string at a time as otherwise intonation of some guitars may change

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 29 2008, 11:56 PM
Instructor
If you have a floating bridge it is easier to change one by one, you will save a lot of time on tuning

But if you have a standard bridge it is better to remove all strings to clean the frets easier. I heard also this thing about the tension thing, but frankly speaking don't know if it's true smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 29 2008, 11:58 PM
I think it is bad for the neck to take tension away all at once.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 30 2008, 12:12 AM
Instructor
if you want to clean the fretboard and thats very recommended you have to remove all the strings

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 30 2008, 12:27 AM
Instructor
If it's floating...well..you know what to do...one by one
But if it's' fixed or some good thing is to remove all strings,clean up the fretboard
and then put strings in this order:
First G and D(checking them both)
Than A(check all strings)
Than B(check all)
Than low E (check all)
and finally high E(check all).

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 30 2008, 12:32 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
All strings at once - Oil the fretboard twice and polish the frets.

For a floating bridge, squeeze a bit of wood underneath to hold it in place os the springs don't sink it. Or take the opportunity to once in a while clean the enitre tremolo, all the little pieces.

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 30 2008, 01:29 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 29 2008, 03:32 PM) *
All strings at once - Oil the fretboard twice and polish the frets.

For a floating bridge, squeeze a bit of wood underneath to hold it in place os the springs don't sink it. Or take the opportunity to once in a while clean the enitre tremolo, all the little pieces.

I usally don't do this method but the few times I have, I use a deck of cards instead of wood, no scratches and you always get the perfect sized wedge.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
besip
Jan 30 2008, 01:37 AM
i'm new here but if you don't have great quitar{or dont wanna clean neck} go change just 1 to 1

i'm was change all of them at 1 time and after that lot of frets get buzzing so i'm did visit the music store for adjustment

This post has been edited by besip: Jan 30 2008, 01:38 AM

--------------------
[
MY Gear
Jackson Sl2h
Digitech DF-7
PodXt

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 30 2008, 03:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (swingline @ Jan 30 2008, 01:29 AM) *
I usally don't do this method but the few times I have, I use a deck of cards instead of wood, no scratches and you always get the perfect sized wedge.

That's good method,floating guys,be sure to try it. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 30 2008, 08:48 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (swingline @ Jan 30 2008, 01:29 AM) *

Clever! I'll try it out next time. smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:28 PM