New Guitar Or Line 6 Podxt, Which one should I buy?
Matt23
Mar 1 2008, 07:38 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'm gonna buy a new electric guitar (probably an epiphone les paul custom to replace my cheap ibanez) or a line 6 podxt. I'd like to know which one would make the biggest improvement to my sound. Also if getting an epiphone would solve all my guitar problems: fret buzz on the bottom e string (a lot), going out of tune very quickly and really bad sustain. rolleyes.gif Thanks

Matt

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 1 2008, 07:44 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I think we both know you'll end up getting both wink.gif

I think that if your most worried about how your guitar plays- get a new guitar,

If you're that worried about the sound- get the Pod instead.

I've had a similar choice to make recently- though my sound is horrible ive opted for the guitar- as i need to get away from this super-beginner thing (though i love her) wink.gif

Hope you choose wisely- but remember- you can get them both (though on my budget i have to space out my purchases)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 1 2008, 07:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
What amp do you have? If it's a good one the Line 6 will only give you a wider range of sound so it's not this neccesary and you can go for the Les Paul. If your amp sucks aswell then the Line6 will improve your sound way more than another guitar.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 1 2008, 07:52 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
To DeepRoots. I will get them both in the end and I think I should get the guitar just now (cos iv been playin over a year and im still using a beginner guitar that annoys me). But because cos ive just saved enough for the pod im really tempted to get it just cos i can.

To Zakk Wylde. I've got a roland microcube which has quite alot of effects. As i normally play through headphones for the good sound quality and to spare the people around me lol, i probably won't use the amp if i get the pod.

Thanks for both ur helps.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Mar 1 2008, 07:54 PM

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 1 2008, 07:56 PM
Lets go fishing!
In terms of sound, the PODXT will be the most dramatic change for you smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Maximus
Mar 1 2008, 08:07 PM
GMC:er
I think a quality guitar is the place to start. One possibility would be to take your current guitar in to be set up properly. This should get rid of the fret buzz. Adding quality pickups to your guitar may be a big step in the right direction. You could probably get away with this for around 200 dollars. With your remaining cash you could get a pocket pod or a toneport which will fairly inexpensively allow you to experiment with a wide range of great tones with the added benefit of recording capability. These run from 70-200 dollars. I think you could get alot of bang for your buck this way. Good luck.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2008, 08:16 PM
Instructor
1. What amp do you have?
2. How long ago did you buy you Ibanez
3. Do you have any pedals?
4. How long do you play?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gus
Mar 1 2008, 08:40 PM
I owned both equipments and I would say to go the guitar first (assuming you don't like the sound of your cheap guitar).

The epiphone les paul custom is a very well rounded guitar. Great sound for the price you pay. If you play the Gibson version, of course you are going to see the difference, but the price difference is so huge that it is bigger than quality difference I would say. One thing to test before buying it is how do you feel playing it stood up with a strap. This guitar is really heavy ( I am talking about weight, though it can play heavy also wink.gif )

And the reason I don't have the podXT anymore is that I liked so much that I sold it bought the pod X3 live =D

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 1 2008, 08:40 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Mar 1 2008, 07:16 PM) *
1. What amp do you have?
2. How long ago did you buy you Ibanez
3. Do you have any pedals?
4. How long do you play?

1. I have a roland microcube which I play through headphones so if I got a line 6 pod i wouldn't use my amp.
2. I bought my Ibanez about a year ago though I think a bit less. It's an Ibanez grg170dx and cost £150.
3. I have a Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 Wah.
4. I'm not sure what you mean but I have been playing for a bit more than a year and currently practice about 5 hours a day depending how much time I have. More at weekends.

This post has been edited by Matt23: Mar 1 2008, 08:41 PM

+Quote Post
g-forcelover
Mar 1 2008, 09:51 PM
know how you feel matt. im stuck between the weapon digitech pedal, beringer (Spelling?) recording bundle, or an epiphone double-neck

--------------------

i tripped and broke my guitar's neck. :(

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Mar 1 2008, 09:54 PM
Instructor
i think if you have a guitar then better go to line 6

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 1 2008, 09:55 PM
Instructor
I think the better thing to buy would be a POD for now. You can record stuff on computer and have a lot of sounds. You already have a wah which is good AND a decent guitar to last a year more. Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Mar 1 2008, 09:59 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Put it this way mate- i have a worse guitar than you and have been using it for 3 + years now.

Its totally up to you what you go for smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
Mar 1 2008, 10:13 PM
Now that you posted the rest of your equipment I would say that the pod will make the biggest difference for you. (though the guitar will also be a big step)

You will be able to get a good sound on your headphone practice sessions. I like practicing after midnight tongue.gif and POD + good headphones is just the right thing for that.

Only thing is that you are having quite long practice sessions, so it is important to play a guitar to which you feel comfortable.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 1 2008, 10:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think it you may be better off with a new (more comfortable) guitar in your hands.. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Mar 2 2008, 07:30 AM
microcubes rock u can get a great tone out of them with added pedals like overdrive, id go with the guitar...

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Matt23
Mar 2 2008, 11:00 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I think ill get the pod cos I dont mind my guitar it just annoys me when it goes out of tune quickly. The main reason I want an epiphone is I like their sound better than ibanezs but if i got a pod i could get a lot more sounds.
Thanks for everyones help.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 2 2008, 12:36 PM
Instructor
Anytime, glad to help. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:23 AM