Gave Myself A Challenge
Socky42
Jul 8 2015, 03:06 AM
GMC:er

Here's the original - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMShwUJKvB4

I spend way too long on single videos; got a couple of half-finished projects from over a year ago. Tried to see if I could make a cover video in just two/three days; brand new song, so I couldn't cheat with tabs or midi, work it all out by ear, write a solo, come up with ways to make it different from the original then make a video that's at least kinda interesting to watch on top of all that.

I'll wait till it comes out in English first but I can't believe there's new Dragon Ball! I remember watching it every day as a kid. laugh.gif

I had to cheat a little bit with the arpeggios in the solo with a bit of punch-in studio magic; weird because it's not hard and I could play it at the very start of a practice session but by the time I hit record, my brain just couldn't keep up. I'll leave the tabs for it.

How did it turn out? Mix, arrangement, video etc.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Jul 8 2015, 11:39 AM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Dragon Ball! Are the new episodes any good?

PS: very good guitar playing as always wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 8 2015, 02:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Very well played as always, Socky smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 8 2015, 06:05 PM
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Jul 8 2015, 11:39 AM) *
Dragon Ball! Are the new episodes any good?

PS: very good guitar playing as always wink.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 8 2015, 02:44 PM) *
Very well played as always, Socky smile.gif

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure about uploading this, didn't feel it was up to scratch. But seems like a lot of people do like it!

The new episode's pretty good! Kinda like Toy Story 3 where it's clearly for kids but there's a lot of stuff aimed at people that were a fan of the originals. Japanese voices are little weird to get used to though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 8 2015, 07:54 PM
Instructor
Hi Socky! Congrats on this new video! It's as great as the previous that you've done but it has an extra element that is totally related to the method to do it. It's has a very notable and enjoyable "fresh" feel that makes it even cooler and more energetic that those videos that you've worked for many days and somethings months. I can feel that fresh air in your playing, the composition and even the mix and if the reception is also good at youtube, it means that everybody feels it...

So I think that you should continue exploring this approach... what do you think? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 8 2015, 10:14 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 8 2015, 07:54 PM) *
So I think that you should continue exploring this approach... what do you think? smile.gif

I'm not really doing anything different to what I normally do, except this time, I gave myself a rough deadline and that I had to work it out by ear. biggrin.gif

Maybe working it out by ear meant that I made little 'mistakes' that added to the song; gave it some character rather than only copying the original.

Biggest thing that helped was that Mark Holcomb/Periphery lesson I showed you, replacing power chords is such a simple idea, but it works so well. Originally my rhythm was just straight power chords and it sounded so flat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 9 2015, 02:48 AM
Learning Roadie
wub.gif

You can has all the E-hugs you want!!!

If I could rate this video on a scale of 1-10 I would probably have to rate it OVER 9000!!!!

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 10 2015, 12:03 AM
QUOTE (Chris S. @ Jul 9 2015, 02:48 AM) *
wub.gif

You can has all the E-hugs you want!!!

If I could rate this video on a scale of 1-10 I would probably have to rate it OVER 9000!!!!

biggrin.gif

Ha thanks man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 10 2015, 08:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
By all means take this as constructive criticism , because it all kicks arse. But I would try to eq the snare to make it a little more realistic sounding. I will say that this could on my end as I am listening with monitoring headphones

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 11 2015, 09:20 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 10 2015, 08:40 PM) *
By all means take this as constructive criticism , because it all kicks arse. But I would try to eq the snare to make it a little more realistic sounding. I will say that this could on my end as I am listening with monitoring headphones

Thanks man, I definitely need to work on my snare sound more. Been tweaking it for months, maybe I should just reset it to default and start from scratch.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:33 PM