Recording With Tutor, Slight Problem.
Phil66
Jul 11 2015, 10:32 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello everyone,

I like to download the main video lesson and convert it to MP3 to put into my DAW. Once I have got a few bars under my fingers I then play along with the tutor while I record myself, then I play back and analyse the differences.

What I would like to do to take it a stage further is to record my own piece to the backing without the tutor and then play back with the tutor at the same time. The problem I have is that it's difficult for me to match the backing track that I download to the video/MP3 track in my DAW. When I drag the tracks to line them up they don't move smoothly, they jump in steps as though they are locking onto a certain beat, a couple of times I have been lucky but most of the time there is a split second difference. I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 4 at the moment but am gradually moving over to Reaper. Any tips for me?

The reason I like to do this is because it's very hard to analyse yourself while playing and something with tricky timing like my current lesson HERE it's good to listen back with the tutor playing so you can hear where you are out. It's not always obvious with a backing track like this lesson has, not for someone of my level anyway.

Maybe future lesson could have both the backing track and a separate synchronised guitar track so we can pull them into our DAW and utilise this method? What you say admin? wink.gif

Cheers everyone.

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Jul 11 2015, 11:34 AM
Learning Roadie
The only thing I can contribute is the jumping around - at least for Reaper.

There is a snap function that goes by each beat depending on the tempo.

This is the button:

Disabling that will allow you move the track wherever without it jumping around.

Hope that helps at least a little biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Jul 11 2015, 11:35 AM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 11 2015, 03:31 PM
Thanks Chris,

I'll check that out. Learning reaper bit by bit but there is probably a similar thing in Guitar Tracks. I snap is a function in many CAD programme so it is probably a common feature in DAWs.

Cheers buddy smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 11 2015, 07:58 PM
That sorted it, thanks, I found the snap function in Guitar Tracks. I guess I should have read the manual but most of it is intuitive and I didn't know what to search for terminology wise wink.gif Still not easy though, it's amazing when you start fiddling, how tiny tiny discrepancies in timing can be heard.

I still think it would be nice to have two files synced so you could put both into the DAW and just drag them to the far left, job done. Something for admin to think about I guess smile.gif

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 11 2015, 08:00 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:30 PM