How To Keep Your Gig, Or get a sub - be a sub
Alex Feather
Dec 20 2011, 05:44 AM
Instructor
Hi guys! Another cool subject I wanted to talk to you about!
As we all know Being a musician is a very tough job and a lot of times you have to have a few gigs in order to pay your bills
Even if you are doing music as a hobby and working at a day job there are different circumstances that can mess up your scheduled plans with one of your bands
A few years ago I discovered a way to keep all my gigs and not being fired if I'm leaving on tour or have a few weeks of recording sessions or if I just want to take a vacation and do not worry about anything! The answer is very simple!!! Get a sub!
How to get a Sub?
I have a couple of guys who I am using as a sub for my gigs it took me a while to trust those guys and to make sure they are not gonna still my work or stab me in a back! So what you have to do if you have a guy who can play and you have decided to use him as your substitution? You will have to teach him all your parts and tricks and maybe even rehears with him so he can fit perfectly for your position! Make sure that he is a very reliable person and you can trust him 100%. This way you will protect yourself from being fired and wont ruin your reputation!
If you will play it right you are not only will keep all your gigs also people will be really grateful to you because instead of leaving and making them to look for another guy, rehears with him and get all their stuff ready again your are providing the whole package!
How to become a sub?
When I was starting out and tried looking for gigs I got many gigs just being a sub what I did? I was going to a lot of shows
And when I saws band I liked I was giving my business cards to guitar player saying if they ever need a sub give me a call!
You can't imagine how many calls I got through out the years and even today I'm getting calls from people who I met five years ago!
Try it out! You will be rewarded!!!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 20 2011, 05:55 PM
Instructor
that's a really good advice, never thought about it! thanks!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 20 2011, 07:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 20 2011, 04:55 PM) *
that's a really good advice, never thought about it! thanks!

For sure man! I hope it will help!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 20 2011, 07:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This is very useful advice! Completely logical yet never though about it. Substitute guitar players are actually great asset to have for a band. Its practical and you can't miss gigs. + guitar player gets more work.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 20 2011, 10:22 PM
Instructor
This is a really good advice with many interesting ideas. Thanks for sharing man! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Dec 20 2011, 11:26 PM
Instructor
Very useful advice really. A million times I've been in such situation, but never had a problem like a "gig takeover" . Don't know, but I think it's a unwritten code of ethics here - try to take a gig and I'll break you both legs wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Dec 21 2011, 06:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Dec 20 2011, 10:26 PM) *
Very useful advice really. A million times I've been in such situation, but never had a problem like a "gig takeover" . Don't know, but I think it's a unwritten code of ethics here - try to take a gig and I'll break you both legs wink.gif

Lol! I'm usually using the same people over and over!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 21 2011, 12:32 PM
GMC Founder
Great advice Alex!

Reminds me a little of how things work on the normal employment market in general here in Sweden, because of the strained economy. (chances of getting sub jobs are much much higher than the normal ones)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 21 2011, 12:42 PM
Instructor
Very interesting advice man, excellent thinking! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:14 PM