Picking A Pick
vampire18
Apr 26 2009, 05:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
im having trouble picking(as in choosing) a pick. ever since i started playing shred guitar i am using the jazz 3 black but that i was looking at the music shop and just picked up a dunlop m3 for no special reason. anyways i started playing it at home and i found out the for rhythm and palm muted lick it sounds and feels and plays better and i like playing it more it just feels better when i play it. the problem is that when alternate picking it doesnt sound as good and shredy as the jazz 3. so what do you think i should do?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Apr 26 2009, 05:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Apr 26 2009, 11:07 AM) *
im having trouble picking(as in choosing) a pick. ever since i started playing shred guitar i am using the jazz 3 black but that i was looking at the music shop and just picked up a dunlop m3 for no special reason. anyways i started playing it at home and i found out the for rhythm and palm muted lick it sounds and feels and plays better and i like playing it more it just feels better when i play it. the problem is that when alternate picking it doesnt sound as good and shredy as the jazz 3. so what do you think i should do?

I have had the same problem. I use the same picks as you but I also use the Red Jazz III's. They sound much much nice personally and they are a little bit bigger which to me provides a little bit more stability.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 26 2009, 05:25 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Since you just changed to the new pic you might just have to get used to it and adjust your picking a bit. But fact is, different picks sound different, VERY different sometimes. My advice would be to try out many different picks, different shapes, sizes, specially different materials, to get an idea about how much a simple thing like a pick can influence your sound. And then, when you have an idea, stay with the one that you liked the most. But be prepared for the fact that there might not be the ultimate pick for you, a pick that might be perfect for your rhythm playing might be not as good as a different one when it comes to leads and vice versa, so you might have to compromise, but you will find out about this yourself when you try different picks.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
vampire18
Apr 26 2009, 05:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
problem is the m3 is more comfortable for me to play and easier the problem is i feel kinda like im cheating because im sacrificing tone and attack for ease and play, and it bends cause its thinner so its obvious it will be easier to play. on the second hand who said a more fluent less attacky sound is a bad thing. god i cant really make a decision

--------------------

+Quote Post
Canis
Apr 26 2009, 07:46 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Apr 26 2009, 06:43 PM) *
problem is the m3 is more comfortable for me to play and easier the problem is i feel kinda like im cheating because im sacrificing tone and attack for ease and play, and it bends cause its thinner so its obvious it will be easier to play. on the second hand who said a more fluent less attacky sound is a bad thing. god i cant really make a decision

There's no such thing as cheating. When it comes to picks, people are very different, and you have to discover "your" pick by yourself. If you feel you're sacrificing one thing and gaining another, yet feel it's worth it if you really like your new pick, there's no shame ^^

"Search for the answer deep inside your heart, padawan" tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vampire18
Apr 26 2009, 08:59 PM
Learning Rock Star
lol, i know its not cheating just tells me i need to go pick up some picks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 26 2009, 09:28 PM
Instructor
I agree with Marcus, you have to get used to a pick. If you change pick shape and material they can sound and feel very different sometimes, so I think some period of adjustment is necessary. If it is any comfort - your problem is very common. I had troubles cause I used Jazz III XL red for practicing and other pick, little lighter for gigs. Then I switched completely to new pick, took me some 3-4 weeks and that was it. Changing the pick requires some degree of adjustment, but it happens fast if you practice/play a lot so don't worry. Like Marcus said, if you are still unsure what pick to use, go to the store and buy a bunch of them, all different kinds (try in the store and buy the best ones). Try them at home extensively and you will find a right pick. If it doesn't feel right straight away - give it some time it will be OK I'm sure.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 26 2009, 09:29 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
vampire18
Apr 27 2009, 06:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
my dilemma is which should i use that pick that is easier for me to play with or the pick the sounds better?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Frederik
Apr 27 2009, 08:29 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I use jazz 3 to. its the ones i find most precise and controlable

-Frederik

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Apr 29 2009, 09:36 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
You could give it a try with the pick that seems to be easier for you. Get used to it and try to adjust your style of picking to gain some more attack again, like this you might be able to make up the loss in attack that you are having now.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 29 2009, 11:32 AM
Instructor
Me too think that you should give your new pick a go, and try to make a good sound out of it.

EDIT: If it doesn't work you can always switch the pick wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 29 2009, 11:32 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
vampire18
Apr 29 2009, 05:13 PM
Learning Rock Star
i think im going for the m3 its more all rounder than just AP hell.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:00 PM