Tone Section
kaznie_NL
Oct 7 2008, 05:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey GMC!!

I think we should realy have a better tone section! Ivan made a nice start with it with his pedal review/tutorials. I just wish there were some lessons telling how to make a good tone. Not just giving some examples, but realy try to describe it, maybe this could be a competition? I think it'd rock if we had such a "guide". For exanple, I always have troubles creating a good sound, sometimes it sounds better on my amp then on my computer, but I always have tin sounds, these kinda troubles could be solved.

Smells and Andrew...Your tones realy realy kick ***!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Oct 7 2008, 07:20 PM
Instructor
You're not far from the truth. I prefer the amp sound rather than computer generated guitar sound. I don't find useful copying someone's presets. It always sounds different on different guitar so it never helped me much when I tried copying. You have to know what you want and if you like it - that's it. You should be able to recognise the sound you want to reproduce. If you want AC/DC type of overdrive, of course you will look for some overdrive pedal or an amp gain. You won't chose BOSS METAL ZONE for AC/DC. I hope you get the idea.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
IDontWantMyUsern...
Oct 7 2008, 07:51 PM
GMC:er
Another hard thing about that is that there probably are just as many opinions on a good guitar-tone as there are guitarists in the world.

--------------------
My stuff:

Ibanez S320
Marshall MG100HDFX half stack
Line6 PODxt
Digidesign Mbox Pro

Songs I'm writing down/learning at the moment:

Children of Bodom - Downfall

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 7 2008, 08:45 PM
Instructor
Good idea Kaznie. If I may add, knowing your gear and gear of other players is an important step in creating your own sound. You get your knowledge with gear mostly with personal experience, when you own the gear and know it inside and out. Also video tutorials with sound samples can help a lot when looking for a specific kind of sound.
By gear I don't just mean regular gear, I also mean digital and software modelers as well. Each one has it's own characteristic sound and way to produce "the real thing".

If you need any specific advice on how to create your sound, post the gear you have so we can analyze it and find weak spots in the chain.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
jer
Oct 7 2008, 08:51 PM
If there was a section for this I think it'd need to be categorized.

One of us striving for the pinnicle in death metal tone, would be the biggest waste of time imaginable for someone playing the blues.

Rock
Metal
Jazz
Blues
Clean
etc....

Just so we are talking about the right things and appropriate gear in each section....

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 8 2008, 02:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I agree with the comment, but I still say it's not a bad idea.

Ivan: I have a jack-jack cable from guitar to my Korg AX5G, then in the Korg output I put a little device to make the jack into a tiny soundcable. Then I plug a soundcable in the device and into my line in!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Gus
Oct 8 2008, 05:38 PM
Of course there are all the issues described here, but I think the idea is valid specially in the sense of sharing personal experience on how to achieve a tone. I always have trouble setting up a good tone myself, so I start with a preset and tweak it... (I've been mostly using Line 6 amp modeling and effects. No real amps.)

To make the tone section useful I think it could actually be classified according to the pickup selection of the guitar
S-S-S guitars (read strats)
H-S-H (read Ibanez with middle single coil)
basic H H (read Les Paul)
H H with single coil emulation (read Ibanez without middle single coil)

These 4 categories should cover most guitar types.
Of course a preset made for a american fender will not sound the same on a fender squier, but it would be even more inappropriate to try it on a Les Paul.

This post has been edited by Gus: Oct 8 2008, 05:39 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
jdriver
Oct 12 2008, 01:07 AM
I wrote to the guy at Gilmourish.com and dropped a hint that he come over here and do some video demonstrations of all the cool tones. So far no reply. sad.gif

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 12 2008, 02:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gus @ Oct 8 2008, 06:38 PM) *
Of course there are all the issues described here, but I think the idea is valid specially in the sense of sharing personal experience on how to achieve a tone. I always have trouble setting up a good tone myself, so I start with a preset and tweak it... (I've been mostly using Line 6 amp modeling and effects. No real amps.)

That's exactly what I mean, there's no need for examples, but on how to achieve a nice tone.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:56 PM