A Little Thing That Has Helped Me Expand The Pentatonic
Phil66
Nov 22 2017, 10:32 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
While I''ve been jamming along to the track mentioned HERE I came up with something to help me expand the scale along the fretboard a little bit without learning new shapes. It's only a basic idea, but it might help some of you at a similar level to me. Please, if any instructors can see this as a big fail, say so huh.gif

Okay, taking the diagram below, obviously there are octaves of notes available within that scale pattern. What I've been doing is thinking about where the octave notes are out side of that pattern so that i can venture out of the box. See the further images below to see what I mean. As you're jamming along, you can select a couple of those notes and gradually build up to more and more.

I know Kris doesn't really agree with box shape learning but I think this is kind of a hybrid of what he and Gab explain in THIS thread. It's a bit of a cheat BUT, it might help those, like me, with limited time, to expand their range along the fretboard without learning more shapes.

So there you have it, a simple way for us beginners to expand the notes available when knowing only that one box shape. Feel free to experiment by throwing other notes in there, you'll start to feel what works and what doesn't. Basically, using this method you have created three of the pentatonic box shapes and could take it further. this will work with any scale pattern you learn and I;ve found it great when practising improvising.

The D on the 3rd fret on the B string here, won't be as obvious to those that haven't studied the octave notes very much yet. The ones added previous to this follow the two across two along method.

Same here, but you could omit these two D and G notes for the time being and extend on the G, D, A and low E strings towards the nut and the D, G, B and high E towards the bridge.

The same goes for this D as the D added on the 3rd fret B string.

This G follows the same principle as the D above.

Cheers

Phil

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Nov 23 2017, 08:26 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2017, 05:15 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for sharing your approach to expanding the scale boxes.

It sounds reasonable and I think that it's a good idea to expand gradually the fretboard knowledge. Keep practicing!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 23 2017, 08:29 PM
Thanks Gab,

I found it useful when using that long backing track, you can be noodling in the box you know and be looking at the fretboard working out the octave notes that you can use to come up with some different licks. The ones most people know are the "L" shaped ones (across two strings and along two or three frets). That's enough to start with and does give quite a bit of extension to the scale.

I hope it helps some people here smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 23 2017, 10:42 PM
GMC Founder
Phil I think this looks great - just the kind of gradual expansion of fretboard visualisation [is that a fancy expression or what?] I would recommend - very useful thread!

It would be interesting to know if this helps others as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 23 2017, 11:14 PM
Thanks Kris,

The next stage would be to learn which extra notes are needed to make that first box shape be the full minor scale, I don't know what is called but the one that has the same notes as C major. Then you can work the octave notes from that.

Happy you like it smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 23 2017, 11:36 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 23 2017, 11:14 PM) *
Thanks Kris,

The next stage would be to learn which extra notes are needed to make that first box shape be the full minor scale, I don't know what is called but the one that has the same notes as C major. Then you can work the octave notes from that.

Exactly! That's exactly how I would go about it. It's called the A minor scale or A Aeolian mode (its the same thing)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 25 2017, 10:27 AM
Thanks Kris, I didn't know if it would be natural, harmonic or melodic minor unsure.gif smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 25 2017, 02:54 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 25 2017, 11:27 AM) *
Thanks Kris, I didn't know if it would be natural, harmonic or melodic minor unsure.gif smile.gif

Just to confuse you more, those are 3 different ones. Once you've got the hang of natural minor, I'd go for harmonic minor then melodic minor wink.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Phil66
Nov 25 2017, 06:16 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 25 2017, 01:54 PM) *
Just to confuse you more, those are 3 different ones. Once you've got the hang of natural minor, I'd go for harmonic minor then melodic minor wink.gif

Yeah, I knew they are three different ones but I didn't know which one I was using wink.gif I know C major and A minor have the same notes but I didn't know what kind of minor it is smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jan 5 2018, 08:58 PM
Have any of the beginners here managed to utilise this?

Just wondering smile.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Aug 31 2018, 08:02 PM
Just bumping this, I found it handy but got out of practise with it. Hopefully someone will get something out of it wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 31 2018, 08:38 PM
GMC:er
Knowing where the notes in a given scale are on the fretboard is crucial imho. The scale generator will show you the notes of a given scale all the way up the neck. This allows you to plan out longer scale runs and gives you an idea of where you can "land" at the end of a lick. You can use your ear to find these notes but its always handy to have a Map when going somewhere new smile.gif
I use the pentatonic and minor shapes quite a bit and they are fun to run up the neck. Being able to play outside of the root/box shape will really open up your playing!!
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Nov 22 2017, 05:32 PM) *
While I''ve been jamming along to the track mentioned HERE I came up with something to help me expand the scale along the fretboard a little bit without learning new shapes. It's only a basic idea, but it might help some of you at a similar level to m

Phil

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:31 AM