How Long Should I Be Practicing, practice
isaacdenney01
Sep 7 2008, 07:11 AM
GMC:er
how long per day should i practice

i have been practicing about 3 hours per day should i go to 6 or 7?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
BodomESP
Sep 7 2008, 07:31 AM
You should practice 24 hours a day.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
Sep 7 2008, 07:38 AM
Acoustic Instructor
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Sep 7 2008, 11:41 AM) *

You don't.

3hrs a day is very reasonable.Most important issue is regular practicing.So Practice everyday evenif it's 1 1hr per day.

But if you can devote more practice hours it never hurt  smile.gif

This post has been edited by Vinod Saranga: Sep 7 2008, 07:39 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 7 2008, 08:11 AM
QUOTE (BodomESP @ Sep 7 2008, 01:31 AM) *
You should practice 24 hours a day.

I disagree. You should not practice more time than the average cat sleeps during a day. So no more than 21 hours.

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 7 2008, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Play as long as you want but be sue to use tat time as good as possible and prctise th things yo want to improve. And as Vinod said practise regulary. Its better to plat 1 hour a day then to play 6 hours one day of the week

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 7 2008, 08:26 AM
Instructor
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Sep 7 2008, 08:11 AM) *

I'd say it depends on what your goal is. smile.gif But the more you play the better you'll get (as long as you think it's fun though and you don't loose motivation)

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 7 2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah, I'm serious.. they should make days longer.. like 30 hours... So I can play more and still play counter strike biggrin.gif

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Sep 7 2008, 08:59 AM
Instructor
I think three hours are very good, just be sure to play everyday and to follow a nice and complete practice routine. Usually I practice that way: 10 minute ear training, 10 warm-up, 10 reading, 10 rhythms, 10 scales, 10 chords, 10 triads, 10 pentatonic, 30 improvisation... about the techniques, just practice as much as you want, from 1 hours to 10 is good, but I prefer 1-2 hours, (I don't wanna be a super fast shredder biggrin.gif )

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 7 2008, 09:14 AM
Instructor
As the rest probably said it - it is more important that you develop a regular practice routine, so you practice every day over longer periods of time.

1h-3h it's all good. Just don't go too far, and practice one day 1h and the next 7h. Do this often and you can hurt the muscles. I suggest taking things easy, and if you wanna do longer practice sessions 6-7 hours do them by slowly increasing the number of hours per day. Try it, but again, make smaller pauses, and focus your practice. IMO it is better to have 3x2h sessions during the day, then one 7 hour session. By the end of the 7 hour session fingers are tired, and not much of a practice can be done.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 7 2008, 09:17 AM
Instructor
It really doesn't matter how long you're practicing,time wise.
What is important is that you enjoy while doing it,
that way you'll progress a lot more and faster.
But as Marcus said,the more you practice
the more you'll gain,just do it with joy and fun. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ian Bushell
Sep 7 2008, 10:09 AM
Instructor
Obviously it would be ideal if you had many hours a day to practice, but it most cases that isn't possible.
As long as your practice is regular (every day) and you use your time effectively.
For example someone who practices properly 3 hours a day is going to progress way faster than someone who oodles around aimlessly for 6 hours a day.

Like Muris and Marcus said don't forget to have fun, one of the most important factors. What could be more fun than playing your guitar:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 7 2008, 10:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ian Bushell @ Sep 7 2008, 11:09 AM) *
What could be more fun than playing your guitar:)

Just like that. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Canis
Sep 7 2008, 10:29 AM
Learning Rock Star
Welcome to GMC, btw wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 7 2008, 11:10 AM
You can play for 3 hours a day and get the benefit of 6, if you wear hats like these. They absorb cosmic rays and make your practice twice as efficient.....

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Sep 7 2008, 11:40 AM
Instructor
Honestly i think 2 to 3 hours is probably optimal for "Practice" anything beyond that should just be spent playing the instrument.

At least for myself i have found that practicing scales or technique longer than that has diminished returns. And sometimes even sets me back a day. Your muscles and mind need time to assimilate the information. Not to mention the time your muscles need to strengthen and recharge.

Obviously your threshold for doing this may be higher than me. I would say gauge your progress as you increase the amount of time. The key here is to optimize what is best for you.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Sep 7 2008, 11:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 7 2008, 12:10 PM) *
You can play for 3 hours a day and get the benefit of 6, if you wear hats like these. They absorb cosmic rays and make your practice twice as efficient.....

Attached Image

Really? blink.gif wow, that's cool laugh.gif
Where can I buy hats like that? tongue.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
Sep 7 2008, 03:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 7 2008, 12:10 PM) *

Attached Image

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
I discovered that white hats works fine too wink.gif

+Quote Post
FrankW
Sep 9 2008, 04:09 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 7 2008, 11:10 AM) *

Attached Image

Your cat looks like he's ready to kick you in the ass. But, I agree with your headwear choice. I wear mine to pick up wimmings at the local watering hole. They just love it...

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 9 2008, 04:31 AM
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Sep 7 2008, 05:48 AM) *
Really? blink.gif wow, that's cool laugh.gif
Where can I buy hats like that? tongue.gif

They are very expensive, made with special foil hand made by Taoist monks deep in a secret location. But I can get some and cut you a special deal for say, $500. I will throw the one for your cat in for free.

QUOTE (FrankW @ Sep 8 2008, 10:09 PM) *
Your cat looks like he's ready to kick you in the ass. But, I agree with your headwear choice. I wear mine to pick up wimmings at the local watering hole. They just love it...

It's not me, nor my cat. But I could take him on as my persona. He is pretty big, people might be nicer to me out of fear if I did that.

My cats all give me fair warning before they whack me, so I can cease what I am doing and avoid the consequences.

My cats are great. For example, if they think I need to change the litter box, they poop just outside the box in the laundry room, much nicer than going in my boot.

+Quote Post
Chief Brody
Sep 9 2008, 12:21 PM
I was hung up on time for a good while, now i just play for as long as it's fun.

Obviously i have practice goals that i like to achieve before i finish but really i'm a strong believer in the idea that it's more than time that determines progress.

Yesterday for example i just lost the "feeling" for playing, even though i had a couple of hours set aside, my mind wasn't with it and i was playing awfully. So i just put the guitar down and did other things instead.

Came back today and everything felt right again, i just got on with my practice and a couple of hours later i've perfected a couple of lessons, learned a couple new scale patterns and generally feel good about my progression.

It's different for different people, but i personally can't practice for longer than 2 hours, because even if i'm enjoying it my concentration goes and once that happens you're bound to make mistakes (and i'd rather not practice how to make mistakes!)

At weekends when i'm not working and i have lots of time to practice i tend to break things up into 1 or 2 hour chunks over the course of the day rather than do it all in one go.

Find your personal balance between time, concentration, "feeling" and enjoyment. It changes from day to day, but whatever time you end up practicing for it's the right amount cool.gif

This post has been edited by Chief Brody: Sep 9 2008, 12:23 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:30 AM