david gilmour
browq
Feb 12 2007, 05:51 PM
GMC:er
hi all

I have read most of this forum part about all the guitar players you guys all admire (well to be honest, only the more recent stuff), yet i have found nothing about one of the most gifted guitarplayer/singer of all times. I speak ofcourse of david gilmour

His sense of timing and his ability to express his feeling during his outstanding guitar solo's is really rare. I haven't seen may players of this caliber who come even close ( with the exeption of john petrucci and steve vai). When he starts playing i get chills all over

apart from beeing a great guitar player he also has an incredible voice. One that seems to improve instead of decrease over time. a truly unique guitar player in my eyes. What's everybody elses opinion about him?

p.s

listnen to some of his best work if you haven't already

High hopes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlFtmK5Om5o

coming back to life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVdmXmHU7_E

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 12 2007, 06:08 PM
Moderation Policy Director
You'll get no argument from me - he is an amazingly distinctive player, and definitely one of my influences - the stuff he plays, is on the face of it pretty simple, but the expression and nuances he adds makes it anything but - he is in my top 3!

And thanks for the links - I hadn't seen either of them.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Feb 12 2007, 06:09 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
browq
Feb 12 2007, 07:49 PM
my mistake

now i see there's already a topic on david gilmour. oh well. still interested what everybody thinks of him

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Feb 13 2007, 12:21 AM
Without doubt - my number 1

Incredibly melodic, his sense of timing and note selection, and of course his perfect phrasing.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Feb 13 2007, 02:42 PM
Rock Instructor
yep i think so also.

it is like magic, he dosen't play shreding at all . could it be that there is a good guitarist without shred my brains out??

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
browq
Feb 13 2007, 11:03 PM
absolutely

it's about the way you translate your feelings into music. Some guitarist can do this better with shredding, some not. Every chooses a different path

personally i'm going for a fine balance between the two. a good shredding speed is ofcourse hard work, but playing something like gillmoure does takes just a much work (maybe even more)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:56 PM