Speed Building
smolgaard
Jul 31 2009, 05:25 PM
GMC:er
Hi all.
What do you guys find the best ways to develop your speed right now i can only play 8'th notes at 150 bpm.
I would like to get mutch more, so anyone can tell me how you did it, i culd learn from that biggrin.gif
thanks a lot .

- Stefan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 31 2009, 05:32 PM
Instructor
Practice, practice AND practice. smile.gif

Use metronome (or drum loop if you want),
start slowly, keep it clean and accurate,
then upgrade the speed as you feel comfortable.

Developing speed is a long process
so you'd have to be focused and prepared for hard work,
with lots of patience in your pocket.

However let us know if you have any problems or thoughts. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
smolgaard
Jul 31 2009, 05:35 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Jul 31 2009, 06:32 PM) *
Practice, practice AND practice. smile.gif

Use metronome (or drum loop if you want),
start slowly, keep it clean and accurate,
then upgrade the speed as you feel comfortable.

Developing speed is a long process
so you'd have to be focused and prepared for hard work,
with lots of patience in your pocket.

However let us know if you have any problems or thoughts. smile.gif

But what to use to develop it. right now i just play fret 5,6,7,8 on every stirng over and over again but is what i shall do or is there other things there is better to do. (sorry for my bad english) biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 31 2009, 05:38 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (smolgaard @ Jul 31 2009, 05:35 PM) *
But what to use to develop it. right now i just play fret 5,6,7,8 on every stirng over and over again but is what i shall do or is there other things there is better to do. (sorry for my bad english) biggrin.gif

Break it down into the techniques you want to learn.....tapping, legato, sweeping, AP etc. Then do a search for lessons on these and try to come up with a consistent and efficient routine........consistent practice is gonna be the key. Good luck... smile.gif

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jul 31 2009, 05:46 PM
That 5, 6, 7, 8 is, in essence, a chomatic scale and so I would say to alternate that with picking arpeggio fingerings which will be of a huge benefit to you at a later time when you may choose to learn to pick them as sweep.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 31 2009, 06:05 PM
Instructor
Any kind of exercise can be used for speed building man, you can play anything fast. The easiest things to play fast are alternate picking runs, and simple legato licks, so possibly focus more on those kinds of sequences. Use triplets, and as everybody said, start slowly, and keep it precise, it has to be perfect.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
smolgaard
Jul 31 2009, 06:13 PM
So atm im thinks of doing some sort of this. for building speed and getting all note values too.

Find a nice alternet picking run, and take it with 1/4, 1/8, 1/8 triplets, 1/16 i cant do any of the 1/16 triplets atm so i wait with that, and them take and start slow with every one and just do the same lick over and over again ?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 31 2009, 08:11 PM
Instructor
Yes this is how I do every lick, and it is very beneficial, cause you acquire feel for several note durations which is very important. Just keep rocking like this, and possibly learn some fast AP runs to spice up your solos with. Don't need to practice them with all durations, you can for example run only triplets 8th and 16th, using 3nps patterns, and just run the patterns up and down. This will create a nice foundation for using those runs later in playing. From then you can develop it in any direction you want of course. Let me know if I can help you with this.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
smolgaard
Jul 31 2009, 08:57 PM
Now i found a lesson with a lot of 3 Nps patterns and i wil try to make some of them up to speed but then a new peoblem comes in.

Lesson Link here.

He is playing 16'th 6 indstead of triplets how do i count that, (confusing to explain hope you guys got it)

And what should i pratice in 8th or 16th or something else?

+Quote Post
Gus
Jul 31 2009, 10:32 PM
QUOTE (smolgaard @ Jul 31 2009, 09:57 PM) *
Now i found a lesson with a lot of 3 Nps patterns and i wil try to make some of them up to speed but then a new peoblem comes in.

Lesson Link here.

He is playing 16'th 6 indstead of triplets how do i count that, (confusing to explain hope you guys got it)

And what should i pratice in 8th or 16th or something else?

From the tab, those are 16th triplets. That means, 6 notes per beat (at 4/4 compass). So it is basically twice as fast as normal triplets.

I am now trying to practice as Ivan said, in all combinations to develop sense of different note durations:
1 note per beat (quarter note)
2 notes per beat (8th notes)
3 notes per beat (triplets)
4 notes per beat (16th notes)
6 notes per beat (16th triplets)

From those I think the most important are 3 notes per beat and 4 notes per beat, cause they are very useful and if you can do them probably you can do the slower ones also. And the 6 notes per beat are more for very specific runs...

This post has been edited by Gus: Jul 31 2009, 10:38 PM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 1 2009, 01:17 AM
Learning Rock Star
Personally I don't practice speed specificly. I do lessons of all kind and discover now and again "Hey, I can play pretty faster now then last time I checked!" because I've gotten more control and becoming more synchronized.

Allthough, this lesson and it's series is one of the things that has helped me a lot ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 1 2009, 01:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (smolgaard @ Jul 31 2009, 06:35 PM) *

Practice just about everything that you want,
scales, arpeggios, picking, legato, you name it!
Options are endless and you can practice whole day long. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Aug 1 2009, 03:12 AM
Instructor
I agree with Muris. You should practice every way possible (melodic and harmonic material) and apply phrasing to it because without it sounds like some exercise smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MirkoSchmidt
Aug 1 2009, 11:32 PM
Learning Rock Star
practice the speed is the boringst think on guitar... i try to get faster too because i want to play muris beginner solo in D and theres some very fast parts and i hate it!

always get nervous when im trying to get faster, i want rto play faster and faster and i cant do it!!! thats horrible!!!!
learning a new solo is fun, but practice to get faster isnt very funny.... i hate it... mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Aug 3 2009, 01:48 PM
I have some suggestions in addition to the other exceedingly important comments from previous posters based on the experience I am going through right now. I have never been a fast picker but in the last year, the lessons from this site have been enormously helpful. But in the last 2 weeks or so, I have gone through a break through that has increased my speed by about 20%. This was from analyzing the way I used my picking hand. For a long time, I have anchored my little finger on the bottom string or pickup which steadied my picking but stiffened my wrist. For the last couple of years, I have been trying to get rid of that habit and loosening my wrist - at first it was difficult, but with time, I have become used to it and my accuracy and speed both increased - just recently, I have been fooling around with how I hold my pick and drawing my fingers into more of a fist (similar to Muris) and consequently I went through periods where my speed was very high (for me) and accuracy was good and even improving (yesterday, I concentrated on string skipping and I was amazed at the differences). So far, I am having problems with keeping the hand in this position as I have to spend some time concentrating on it but I suspect over the course of the next few weeks, it will become second nature.

This may not be something that will have a similar impact on your playing (as it did mine) but it does follow as philosophy of mine that one should experiment with a range of techniques and eventually you will find perhaps a more comfortable technique.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:14 PM