2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Modern V.s. Old Music
Drew
Apr 7 2007, 02:52 AM
GMC:er
My buddy and I were discussing this the other day....
How come a lot of modern music/bands don’t seem to be nearly as good as the older music/bands? I realize that this is largely a matter of opinion, but doesn’t it seem no one has come close to being as good or as unique as Hendrix, zepplin, skynard, acdc, pink floyd etc. It seems like all modern music sounds relatively the same while those bands each had their own sound. Since music is timeless and each generation will get their chance to hear these bands well after they are good and gone, will any modern music ever be as good the old? Why don’t we have a Hendrix of today?!!?!?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 7 2007, 03:02 AM
QUOTE (Drew @ Apr 6 2007, 05:52 PM) *
My buddy and I were discussing this the other day....
How come a lot of modern music/bands don’t seem to be nearly as good as the older music/bands? I realize that this is largely a matter of opinion, but doesn’t it seem no one has come close to being as good or as unique as Hendrix, zepplin, skynard, acdc, pink floyd etc. It seems like all modern music sounds relatively the same while those bands each had their own sound. Since music is timeless and each generation will get their chance to hear these bands well after they are good and gone, will any modern music ever be as good the old? Why don’t we have a Hendrix of today?!!?!?

That's why the 80s are better!!! Oh yea. I don't like modern music. All the singers sound alike which there are no singers that can hit the high notes like for example. Axl rose!! Modern rock is just to boring and simple these days!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Drew
Apr 7 2007, 03:07 AM
QUOTE (beebo @ Apr 6 2007, 09:02 PM) *
That's why the 80s are better!!! Oh yea. I don't like modern music. All the singers sound alike which there are no singers that can hit the high notes like for example. Axl rose!! Modern rock is just to boring and simple these days!

But why is that. Every time i was told about a new band that was good people always compared them to one of those classic bands. Are bands from that era just as good as its ever gonna get?

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 7 2007, 03:36 AM
QUOTE (Drew @ Apr 6 2007, 06:07 PM) *
But why is that. Every time i was told about a new band that was good people always compared them to one of those classic bands. Are bands from that era just as good as its ever gonna get?

Well I don't know honestly I only like the 80s because they play with such feeling and emotion and put that into the music so fans feel it and today it's just about basically nothing but the money and partying for most bands. One band in this era is good but only because they are like 80s and 90s music which is
Avenged seven fold and the song bat country is probably their best. Here's a link!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOsIlLC3s_o
So do u like them? Decide for your self not what I think!

This post has been edited by beebo: Apr 7 2007, 03:37 AM

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Apr 7 2007, 05:31 AM
Most bands that formed after '89 are way too pissed off or suicidal for my tastes. I don't know why music shifted that way, but I don't like it. New music almost seems bipolar now. In the days of Rock and Roll, bands actually had to write lyrics to get the point across. Not all of them were good (see: 80's glam rock, early Pink Floyd), but most bands managed to turn out some profound songs I can relate to.

These days the singer just screams or crys, and the band plays really pissed off or really depressing music. That YouTube link is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

And there's another thing that's changed...I don't know why, but it seems like rhythm has been replaced by a constant wall of noise. Remember the good old days when there were riffs like All Right Now, La Grange, Smoke on the Water, and Highway To Hell?

Now bands just write riffs too fast to replay in my head, strum 16th note open distorted chords for the bridge, and either cut out the solo all together, or shred like crazy.

They all sound the same because there's no obvious rhythm to the song anymore. Of coarse their playing is synchronized, but there never seems to be a break in the wall of noise they put out.

Rock and Roll was always centered around the guitar. Heavy Metal seems to be centered around the drums now. And Grunge/Modern Rock seems to focus on the vocals and the band puts out that crappy wall of noise.

I don't know... maybe I'm just too old for new music. I'm 20 years old and I don't think my generation has seen a single good rock band. New music sounds like it's written for a bunch of pissed off 13 year old kids going through puberty.

Where's the new Bob Dylan? Where's the next Tom Petty? How many roads must a man go down, before he finally hears another decent rock band? If the answer's blowing in the wind, it's a little too subtle these days.

You know the funniest thing about all this new music? Eventually all the 13 year olds are going to be in their 40's, have families, real jobs, and wonder what the hell they were ever thinking. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 7 2007, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (radarlove1984 @ Apr 7 2007, 04:31 AM) *
Most bands that formed after '89 are way too pissed off or suicidal for my tastes. I don't know why music shifted that way, but I don't like it. New music almost seems bipolar now. In the days of Rock and Roll, bands actually had to write lyrics to get the point across. Not all of them were good (see: 80's glam rock, early Pink Floyd), but most bands managed to turn out some profound songs I can relate to.

These days the singer just screams or crys, and the band plays really pissed off or really depressing music. That YouTube link is exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about.

And there's another thing that's changed...I don't know why, but it seems like rhythm has been replaced by a constant wall of noise. Remember the good old days when there were riffs like All Right Now, La Grange, Smoke on the Water, and Highway To Hell?

Now bands just write riffs too fast to replay in my head, strum 16th note open distorted chords for the bridge, and either cut out the solo all together, or shred like crazy.

They all sound the same because there's no obvious rhythm to the song anymore. Of coarse their playing is synchronized, but there never seems to be a break in the wall of noise they put out.

Rock and Roll was always centered around the guitar. Heavy Metal seems to be centered around the drums now. And Grunge/Modern Rock seems to focus on the vocals and the band puts out that crappy wall of noise.
I don't know... maybe I'm just too old for new music. I'm 20 years old and I don't think my generation has seen a single good rock band. New music sounds like it's written for a bunch of pissed off 13 year old kids going through puberty.

Where's the new Bob Dylan? Where's the next Tom Petty? How many roads must a man go down, before he finally hears another decent rock band? If the answer's blowing in the wind, it's a little too subtle these days.
You know the funniest thing about all this new music? Eventually all the 13 year olds are going to be in their 40's, have families, real jobs, and wonder what the hell they were ever thinking. cool.gif

Agreed!

Also one thing that is crap about modern music is that everything is so f**king perfect, fake, boring, plastic sound. I mean, listen to stuff like Zeppelin, old maiden, sabbath, uriah heep, and all the old blues in general, it got this old school rock'n'roll sound you know. There is one modern band that have tried to copy this sound and style though, Wolfmother. I think they are allright, but man now that 1 band got popular that way theres like 100 others that tries the same and fucks up.
Also theres too many crazy effects, just listen to in flames, sounds like a god damn spaceship.

And yes about the depression, theres soooo many crappy "emo" bands that pisses me off with their crying vocals. It's just whining.

Ah and one more thing, the metal bands these days are so crappy, their vocals are just screaming. Sure I like black, death and thrash, thats one thing, but I'm thinking about stuff like slipknot, system of a down etc. Real metal vocals = Maiden, priest, saxon, sabbath etc. etc. ! And also its all about heavy riffs it seems, the bands I mentioned doesnt only got these heavy and evil riffs you know. Does it excist any heavy metal bands today that is any good?

Just for fun I'll make a list over modern bands I like.

Rage Against the Machine - It's simple, I like their sound, they arent trying to be heavy or anything. Also they got alot of cool riffs. Amazing guitarist aswell.

Odd Nordstoga - Norwegian folk/pop artist, really great. beautyfull melodies and songs.

Bjørn Berge - Norwegian blues artist, really unique.

Wolfmother - havent been listening to it that much, but the stuff I've heard I like.

BigBang - Norwegian rock group, sounds like its supposed to sound. Really awesome rock'n'roll

I'll update if I come up with anything else tongue.gif Would have been fun to see what modern bands everyone else on GMC like? smile.gif

This thread made me wanna start a 1man blues band! laugh.gif Just need a mic and something to make drums tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Robin: Apr 7 2007, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 7 2007, 03:01 PM
I absolutely cannot stand the "new bands". I prefer the 80s and some early 90's. These bands all sound the same. I can't tell one from the other. I guess that's what happens when everyone plays the same 3 power chords over and over in every song.

The Youtube Link = YUCK!

This post has been edited by JCJXXL: Apr 7 2007, 03:03 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 7 2007, 03:37 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (JCJXXL @ Apr 7 2007, 10:01 AM) *
I absolutely cannot stand the "new bands". I prefer the 80s and some early 90's. These bands all sound the same. I can't tell one from the other. I guess that's what happens when everyone plays the same 3 power chords over and over in every song.

The Youtube Link = YUCK!

Guys, guys, at 40, I"M the one supposed to be saying that the music of today just isn't like the old stuff ... as it is I totally agree with all that has been said, so you must all have great taste and phenomenal music appreciation abilities smile.gif

I listen to a lot of older stuff -Classic Floyd (after they started writing decent songs, DSOTM and later, but some earlier stuff as well), Led Zep, that kind of stuff, and while some of it was unpolished compared to today, they certainly weren't hiding anything, their playing shone through and the ides seemed fresh.

These days I am not looking at guitar based rock for innovation, I prefer some of the new more acoustic based stuff like Damien Rice and Corrine Bailey ray - no wild guitars but at least there is innovation and music there.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 7 2007, 05:09 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I must be lucky then who can appreciate both the 70's, 80's up to modern heavy metal. laugh.gif

Not all of course, have to agree lots of stuff is not my taste but lately I've learned to even appreciate a vocalist's "growling". It's really a clever way to add a dimension to the voice as an instrument.

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Apr 7 2007, 05:50 PM
I can understand that.

But it seems like today's music has become a competition to see who has the meanest growl. That's like eating the same awful meal everday, boring and a unpleasant experience.

+Quote Post
beebo
Apr 7 2007, 06:28 PM
Hey I'm only 14 but hate todays music and the youtube link I put up was just showing you "AS" bat country
I hate todays metal/rock too it's the same crap over and over that sounds like just a big noise. There are really no famous guitarist much today now it's mainly the drummer. sad.gif
I definitely like the 80s better and some 90s because that's when rock was real and that's a fact!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 7 2007, 08:42 PM
GMC Founder
I think most people will say the music they started listening to is best (usually when they were young) - it's all just a matter of personal affection. The same applies to me, of course!

An exception to this is people who like rock/heavy music with shred in it - then of course the eighties is the golden age! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skidmark
Apr 7 2007, 09:02 PM
Let's hope that the lumbering, monotonous, detuned dual rectifier wall of sound is over with so we can get back to something that doesn't make me want to stab myself smile.gif

+Quote Post
moorkop
Apr 7 2007, 09:06 PM
well, i've thought about this for a long time and there are some good bands
anyone heard of radiohead, maybe not your style but it sure is good

i grew up with redhot chili peppers and always considered them the best thing i ever heard until i was 12, when i heard hendrix, it really opened my eyes but its the best i heard so far
If you look at it from another angle, since distortion came, we've had great music and its not really fair to compare say 40 years of rock and roll to modern music. i think there is good music around you just need to look for it. Even in my hometown there is great music

maybe this is just the silence before the storm and is there a great decade of rock & roll to come rolleyes.gif

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
Tank
Apr 7 2007, 09:29 PM
GMC Veteran
Good topic smile.gif

I was lucky enough to play and tour professionally for a few years, and got to meet a few of my heros in the process, and spoke to them at length about this issue. There is a pretty simple, but unfortunate reason for the "flatness" of new music.

Back in the late 60's, the music industry was nowhere near the size it was today. Labels were usually small independant outfits, scrambling to find the new thing. Records would be released as a chance, usually based on a bands live following. People like The Cream, Hendrix, and the very early Led Zep (to a lesser extent as they already had a pedigree with The Yard Birds) were a risk to the recording company, but a calculated risk. However, once a band "hit", the payoff was worth it, as the market was relatively small. This meant that groups reaching the top 40 charts would have sold a monumental number of records, and radio stations would be clambering over one another to play the new sound. Hell, the Virgin label was built upon one record, "Tubular Bells". If this record had have failed, there's a likelyhood that you wouldn't be walking into Virgin Megastores to buy your music today.

Then after the 80's, the market was changing. Record companies saw that people were buying a certain types of record (based on their musical tastes). If Guns n Roses sold 2 million records, the recording companies, rather than trying to find a brand new sound to compete, would try and find the next Guns and Roses. And of course there were thousands of bands who could do something similar, screaming lead singer, fret melting lead guitarist. So 6 months after the "new sound" hit the shops, there would be hundreds of other similar bands, all vying for your record buying dollar. And because of this squeeze, you now don't even need to sell all that many records to hit top 40.

And that's the state of affairs today. Big labels are not prepared to take a risk on a band. If you've got a new sound, that no-one has ever heard, you have no chance getting that into the public domain. However, if you sound a bit like Metallica, or Limp Bizkit, or whatever people are buying at present, you have a good chance of going to studio. They'll even master the album to make it "radio frendly", so that it sounds "polished". Mind you, you'll pay for it. You'll get an advance, but they'll take the money back on the sales. And you are guaranteed that your album will be sitting on the shelves, beside 30 or 40 other bands, all sounding like you. So if you want to make millions, think again.

If we are to see a return to truly new sounds, we need to start taking a chance on what we purchase. Buy an album from an independant label of someone you've never heard of. Bring it home and play it... Do you know what.. It might turn out to be total shite. If so, don't buy from that label again....

But you might just find the new Hendrix, something so different and brilliant, that the big labels are scared of it. If you do, tell all your friends. Get them to buy the album too.

It's the only way to change whats happening.

/T

(sorry for length and serious tone of post!!)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 7 2007, 09:45 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Good post Tank - thought provoking ...

Here's a couple of extra thoughts ...

One thing the record industry used to do was separate the good stuff from the total dross, finance it and get it out on the streets. A talented A&R man would have a great ear for something new and sign it up. Now it is more of a numbers game as you say, and I think that important function of the record company has been lost or at least buried, A&R men have formula written down ... Loud guitar - check! Growling vocalist - check! Can they play? barely, what the hell - check!

But the times they are a-changing. The Record companies used to control everything that got published, but now we have the internet, and cheap and easy recording. Anyone can record an album in their bedroom that technically would have been the despair of Hendrix or Floyd (though not necessarily musically), and they can get it to anyone in the world with an internet connection for free. What we don't yet have in this brave new world is an equivalent of the A&R man to pick out the dross from the genuinely good stuff, and we are stuck doing that ourselves, or going by recommendation. Actually that probably isn't a bad thing- instead of gigging to create a scene, you just need a few file sharing enthusiasts and you can get a vibe going, problem is, its harder to monetize it now - 5,000,000 file sharing fans are great, but you didn't get paid a single cent ... nor am I a great fan of DRM, I think that is the last refuge of the dinosaur record companies trying to hold onto their profits, and even as we speak, it seems to be going away with EMI at least taking the high road.

So where does that leave us? I suspect that the days of making millions will shortly be over, but I have hope that if you are good you will be able to make a decent living out of doing something that you love ...

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Apr 8 2007, 12:53 AM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 7 2007, 09:59 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Honestly, Modern music is REALLY Great and is just as good and sometimes better than the old, this music though, is not mainstream, and this is my oppinion, but as an example ill list these bands, Necrophagist, Storm Warrior, Savage Circus, Trivium (i know alot of you hate them, just deal with it biggrin.gif ), Evile, Antithesis, Becoming The Archetype, Celladoor

These bands are no more than 7 years old at most (Maybe 10, but barely) and they are putting out fantastic stuff, just most dont know about it, but once again, its all oppinion.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Apr 7 2007, 10:03 PM
Yea, thats all true up there..but personally i like all old and new stuff.....but the new stuff i listen to isnt just a wall of noise, there are some really good bands(not as good as 80's, but there still good)....like skillet(newer stuff), BUSH (90's), The Exies, TDG, and wel those are some bands that i think have a different sound then all that emo, and punk, screamo music.

Its all personal preference really!!!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Robin
Apr 7 2007, 10:15 PM
QUOTE (Tank @ Apr 7 2007, 08:29 PM) *
Good topic smile.gif

I was lucky enough to play and tour professionally for a few years, and got to meet a few of my heros in the process, and spoke to them at length about this issue. There is a pretty simple, but unfortunate reason for the "flatness" of new music.

Back in the late 60's, the music industry was nowhere near the size it was today. Labels were usually small independant outfits, scrambling to find the new thing. Records would be released as a chance, usually based on a bands live following. People like The Cream, Hendrix, and the very early Led Zep (to a lesser extent as they already had a pedigree with The Yard Birds) were a risk to the recording company, but a calculated risk. However, once a band "hit", the payoff was worth it, as the market was relatively small. This meant that groups reaching the top 40 charts would have sold a monumental number of records, and radio stations would be clambering over one another to play the new sound. Hell, the Virgin label was built upon one record, "Tubular Bells". If this record had have failed, there's a likelyhood that you wouldn't be walking into Virgin Megastores to buy your music today.

Then after the 80's, the market was changing. Record companies saw that people were buying a certain types of record (based on their musical tastes). If Guns n Roses sold 2 million records, the recording companies, rather than trying to find a brand new sound to compete, would try and find the next Guns and Roses. And of course there were thousands of bands who could do something similar, screaming lead singer, fret melting lead guitarist. So 6 months after the "new sound" hit the shops, there would be hundreds of other similar bands, all vying for your record buying dollar. And because of this squeeze, you now don't even need to sell all that many records to hit top 40.

And that's the state of affairs today. Big labels are not prepared to take a risk on a band. If you've got a new sound, that no-one has ever heard, you have no chance getting that into the public domain. However, if you sound a bit like Metallica, or Limp Bizkit, or whatever people are buying at present, you have a good chance of going to studio. They'll even master the album to make it "radio frendly", so that it sounds "polished". Mind you, you'll pay for it. You'll get an advance, but they'll take the money back on the sales. And you are guaranteed that your album will be sitting on the shelves, beside 30 or 40 other bands, all sounding like you. So if you want to make millions, think again.

If we are to see a return to truly new sounds, we need to start taking a chance on what we purchase. Buy an album from an independant label of someone you've never heard of. Bring it home and play it... Do you know what.. It might turn out to be total shite. If so, don't buy from that label again....

But you might just find the new Hendrix, something so different and brilliant, that the big labels are scared of it. If you do, tell all your friends. Get them to buy the album too.

It's the only way to change whats happening.

/T

(sorry for length and serious tone of post!!)

Very, very interesting. I've never thought about it like that.

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Apr 8 2007, 12:10 AM
I thought it was just because I am old!

Tank and Andrew got it pinned I think. There is still great music but it will not reach us through the big labels.
The DJ's at radiostations used to play stuff they liked. The recordstores kept records of artists they liked. Now you will have a hard time to find anything outside top-40 to listen to.

The big companys desperatly clings to their big profits, which they havent had that long, a few decades. They try to control every way of spreading music and lock us in with this top-40 sh*t. Search the independent labels and artists. There is pearls in there.

I do not support this distribution model. I will support an alternative.
I will not be sad when their empire crumbles to the sea wink.gif

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:33 PM