Introduction - New To Gmc
acleardifference
Nov 8 2014, 01:49 AM
GMC:er
Hi, My name is Duane Hughes and I recieved an email requesting that I do a short introduction thread. I am 46 years old and live in Orlando, Florida pretty much right next to Disney World. I played in a band in college more than 25 years ago and never progressed past bar chords and the pentatonic scale. I have been out of guitar until last year when I started playing again. Now, with all my kids out of the house I have the time necessary to get serious about the intrument. That is why I am here. I thought I was closer to intermediate but I now realize that I am at the beginner level. I am determined to put in the practice necessary to become the best I can possibly be. I am interested in learning shred/metal style of playing but love listening to all different styles of guitar. I am amazed at the level of talent and musicianship on this site it is very humbling. I just traded in my strat and lap steel guitar on an LTD. Having been out of music for so long I just tried a bunch of guitars on bought what felt best. I have already been contacted by some members who made me feel very welcome. I hope to be a member here for a long time as I work towrd achieving my playing goals.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 8 2014, 03:57 AM
WELCOME TO GMC!!!! smile.gif I'm Todd and I teach our Sat/Sun Video chat lesson! Join us @ 3pm each weekend day if you can smile.gif

A fellow Southerner I see!! I'm in Georgia smile.gif Just a bit "north"! You are gonna love it here @ GMC simply because this is the best Guitar Site on EARTH smile.gif I've been hear a few years now and I"m constantly amazed at how informative, entertaining and all around cool this place is.

Welcome to the family!!

Todd

QUOTE (acleardifference @ Nov 7 2014, 08:49 PM) *
Hi, My name is Duane Hughes and I recieved an email requesting that I do a short introduction thread. I am 46 years old and live in Orlando, Florida pretty much right next to Disney World. I played in a band in college more than 25 years ago and never progressed past bar chords and the pentatonic scale. I have been out of guitar until last year when I started playing again. Now, with all my kids out of the house I have the time necessary to get serious about the intrument. That is why I am here. I thought I was closer to intermediate but I now realize that I am at the beginner level. I am determined to put in the practice necessary to become the best I can possibly be. I am interested in learning shred/metal style of playing but love listening to all different styles of guitar. I am amazed at the level of talent and musicianship on this site it is very humbling. I just traded in my strat and lap steel guitar on an LTD. Having been out of music for so long I just tried a bunch of guitars on bought what felt best. I have already been contacted by some members who made me feel very welcome. I hope to be a member here for a long time as I work towrd achieving my playing goals.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 9 2014, 12:07 AM
Instructor
Hi Duane! Welcome to GMC! Great to find your introduction here!

So now it's time for guitar? Let me say that you are at the right place! The best to progress on metal and shredding is designing a guitar practice routines to be worked every day. As you said that you consider yourself a beginner I would like to suggest a first plan and then you tell me what you think about it.

Let's say that you can practice 2 hours every day, I would divide your time like this:

Warming up (10 minutes):

http://youtu.be/1XsLRQFV7rY
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/

Alternate Picking (20 minutes): https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Altern...king-Workout-2/

Legato (20 minutes): https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

Bending and vibrato (20 minutes): https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ibrato-lesson1/

Rhythm (20 minutes): https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/

Improvisation - Scales, triads, theory and all that stuff (20 minutes): Start with Module 1 - week#1 of the improvisation course.

This can be seen as a lot of material but work slowly, learn one part of each lesson each day and you'll have learnt all the lessons in around 7 days. Then, connect the parts and dedicate another week to master everything. You can share videos with us at REC program, where we will give you feedback and suggestions. You can write me a personal message or which is even cooler, you can join my mentoring program where I will monitor your progress constantly.

What do you think? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 9 2014, 12:34 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hi Duane, nice to meet you! smile.gif

Great to hear you are determined to practice guitar a lot, there is nothing more satisfying than making clear progress on the instrument. My suggestion would be to take videos of your playing, that will allow you both "objective" view on your playing as well as serve as progress tracking tool. SInce you have a lot of experience playing the guitar, I think learning polishing up the techniques and learning new tricks will go smoothly. Try picking up a shreddy lesson in metal genre which you like how it sounds and which feels doable - and then practice it note for note focusing on little details. You could work on this lesson in parallel with others and shoot videos of your performance of it over time until you feel you have it down. When ready, it would be great if you could submit it in the REC section so that you can get feedback from the instructors. Please let me know if you need any lesson recommendations.

See you around the forum smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 9 2014, 09:24 AM
Instructor
Hey Duane!

Glad you decided to introduce yourself, mate smile.gif I think we're going to have a great time working together in the mentoring program and Gabi's pointers are also very valuable - as you see here, everyone is trying to help everyone out and the community will help you grow as a player and a musician. There are collabs or the REC zone, in which you can get valuable feedback on your recordings, for instance, so just take some time to explore and always ask your way around - we'll be glad to help wink.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Nov 10 2014, 07:45 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Duane! Warm wellcome at GMC smile.gif

+Quote Post
acleardifference
Nov 10 2014, 11:03 PM
I would like to thank everyone for their welcome and look forward to being part of this community.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 11 2014, 08:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (acleardifference @ Nov 10 2014, 10:03 PM) *
I would like to thank everyone for their welcome and look forward to being part of this community.

Check your inbox, mate wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:41 PM