Just For Fun ... What Do You Play In The Guitar Store?
What riffs do you play in the guitar store?
What riffs do you play in the guitar store?
Stairway to heaven [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Smoke on the water [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Your latest 16th triplet exercise [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Pavel's latest speedpicking lesson [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Curious Coincidence [ 2 ] ** [10.53%]
Something cool of your own devising [ 11 ] ** [57.89%]
Canon Rock [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Any kind of random sweep picking [ 1 ] ** [5.26%]
Gabriels tricky 7/4 Petrucci piece [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Random scales/modes [ 3 ] ** [15.79%]
Total Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 25 2007, 04:31 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Ok, I was in the guitar store today, and it struck me that this is a great chance to show off some stuff - you are surrounded by people, some wannabees, some professional guitarists. What do you play to earn the respect that is due to you?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Mar 25 2007, 06:24 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 24 2007, 07:31 PM) *
Ok, I was in the guitar store today, and it struck me that this is a great chance to show off some stuff - you are surrounded by people, some wannabees, some professional guitarists. What do you play to earn the respect that is due to you?

Well nothing is better then something you made.

Scenario: Random Person:" Hey man thats cool what are you playing ? "

You : " Oh this is just something I wrote "

Anyone Can Copy Others but you havnt achieved anything until youve made something up thats your own

-John

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Mar 25 2007, 06:25 AM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 25 2007, 01:47 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I just improvise, play some stuff i wrote, play a few of my favorite licks and riffs, and then ill do some more technical stuff, Sweeping, tapping and stuff like that to really have some fun, i also usually play the most expensive guitar there (i.e., Ibanez Jem, Gibson Les Pauls)

+Quote Post
moorkop
Mar 25 2007, 02:16 PM
my last time was kinda embarrasing i'd say

the tremolo of my ibanez was in very bad shape so i was used to my strings being centimeters off the fretboard
then i tried out some gibsons just improvising and it sounded very bad and i couldn't even make the bends laugh.gif

anyway, to make a good impression play something your own or something hard, but not exercises or very well knows songs/riffs, that will look lame

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
Stijntjen
Mar 25 2007, 02:23 PM
I usually play some classical pieces which i always liked on electric (mozart and stuff), lol last time i was in a music store and playing guitar i did that tapping exercise from the freelicks site (the bach thingie) and some guy thought that i was really good tongue.gif.
But you could also play collection of sins while singing the lyrics as loud as you can. That should raise a few heads tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 25 2007, 02:47 PM
QUOTE (Stijntjen @ Mar 25 2007, 09:23 AM) *
I usually play some classical pieces which i always liked on electric (mozart and stuff), lol last time i was in a music store and playing guitar i did that tapping exercise from the freelicks site (the bach thingie) and some guy thought that i was really good tongue.gif.
But you could also play collection of sins while singing the lyrics as loud as you can. That should raise a few heads tongue.gif

laugh.gif PA announcement : "Will the customer in the guitar department that is burying his genitals pleas desist!" laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Stijntjen
Mar 25 2007, 02:49 PM
^rofl

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 25 2007, 04:40 PM
Haha, im seriously gonna try that. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
RodneyU
Mar 25 2007, 05:59 PM
Well, the last time I was at the Guitar Store I didn't know any scales, and hadn't joined here yet. BUT, the last time, I was test out the POD XTL before I bought it, and I wanted to test the WAH pedal, and played a bit of Summer Song by Joe Satriani. Several people commented on it and said it sounded cool, one guy actually came from the other side of the store to find who was playing Satriani. biggrin.gif That makes you feel good!

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Mar 25 2007, 06:49 PM
awesome comments!
The last time I was in a guitarshop was when I bought a new guitar, it is my first good brand guitar (ibanez).
I was just playing some exercises and malmsteen stuff.
The people in the guitar shop couldnt hear me because I wore headphones, but one guy said my finger were built for the guitar smile.gif (he had fat fingers)

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 27 2007, 03:01 PM
Lets go fishing!
Well im getting quite swift at Pentatonic scale shifting so I usually jam useing that!! wink.gif
I would of course love toplay Curious C !!!!

This post has been edited by mattacuk: Mar 27 2007, 03:01 PM

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 27 2007, 03:13 PM
GMC Founder
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Well here is something I don't play: "Nothing Else Matters" or "Enter Sandman" - the guitar shops here have a sign on the wall forbidding that...

Seriously I can't stand the guitar stores or the people in them here in Sweden. So yeah definately, I'll burry their genitals. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 27 2007, 03:40 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 27 2007, 04:13 PM) *
Seriously I can't stand the guitar stores or the people in them here in Sweden. So yeah definately, I'll burry their genitals. biggrin.gif

laugh.gif is it that bad? Yes, maybe... When I was getting a new amp from a store on S:t Eriksgatan Stockholm (no names) I wasn't allowed to play loud since, quote - "We have to keep it down since we're neighbours with a psychotherapy institution"... all I could say was "Great place to keep a music store".

Build a silent room for gods sake! mad.gif

I NEVER Stairway to heaven, NEVER Smoke on the water... some Ozzy stuff maybe. I always think, when I'm in the store, that I should have thought of what to play already before I got there. It's damn hard to come up with anything on site.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Mar 28 2007, 01:27 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 27 2007, 03:13 PM) *
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Well here is something I don't play: "Nothing Else Matters" or "Enter Sandman" - the guitar shops here have a sign on the wall forbidding that...

It's the same in the States. The big stores like Guitar Center are full of guitar wanna-be's with little to no actual knowledge of guitar. Don't go there expecting one of them to answer technical questions about a guitar. I like the smaller shops with the more experienced guys.

The more I think about it, I would NEVER work in a large guitar store like that. I couldn't imagine the constant barrage of totally inexperienced players grabbing a nice guitar off of the wall and plugging it into a Marshall Amp at full tilt only to play something totally lame! Imagine being subjected to that every day.

For something to play in the store, just do the Kris Dahl right hand over left to mute the strings and run the legato/arpeggio as fast as you can. That works great if you want to show off! Follow that up with a riff or two of Curious Coincidence and then leave. cool.gif

+Quote Post
Pavel
Mar 28 2007, 07:00 PM
Instructor
Yeah i had a cool situation in Italy when i was buying my JEM. It's the biggest guitar shop in this region - trust me - IT IS HUUUUUUUGEEEEE!!

You can find any guitar, bass, amp, effects, pedals, strings, etc. there.
First i was just walking around the store with my friend and saw all kinds of Kirk Hammet wanna-be-s - ofcourse none of them could play any of the riffs the right way.

Then i picked up the JEM from the stand and plugged it in Carvin Legacy (Steve Vai's signature amp) and played some of my acoustic stuff. It was the song i wrote and made a lesson for you - the one with huge video explanations and some advanced chord stuff. Well - the funny thing was that like 10 meters away from me was a guy standing with a guitar and trying to play something and i noticed he had a damn cute girlfriend standing next to him. Well i kept playing this song and the next time i turned my head i saw his girlfriend standing next to me and smiling like i am the first guy she ever saw! hahahaha The guy behind her looked pretty angry hahahaha

After that i went to help my friend to pick his new 7-string. I sat with that guitar and started playing around with whammy bar. Like 20 seconds later there where 6 people watching me. What i was playing is nothing but some of my songs and my own improvisation at the spot.
I can say people are interested in something cool sounding and new because they can't stand any more of "Nothing Else Matters" or "Master Of Puppets".

So i suggest you practice more improvisation. That will bring you much more use than some band's songs played 30000 times. Later you can even steal someone's girlfriend at the guitar store hahahaha

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 28 2007, 08:34 PM
Hey Pavel, that's funny laugh.gif I'll have to keep practicing until I get to the "steal someone elses girlfriend" level of skill biggrin.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Jeff
Mar 28 2007, 09:39 PM
Pavel,

That's a good one. You should make a lesson about that! laugh.gif

You meet the craziest chicks playing guitar. I remember paying on stage one time and right between sets me and my other guitar player got propositions from girls that you wouldn't believe. Right on the spot! A long time ago that was, but it sure is crazy sometimes. (never took 'em up on it though. I'm not that insane! wink.gif )

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 28 2007, 10:02 PM
GMC Founder
biggrin.gif haha Pavel - you should be happy, I only get angry males staring at me in the guitar shops - that's why I said I don't like them. Perhaps they sense I'm about to burry their genitals.

Man I should stop - but I'm not the one who brought it up this time, though! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 28 2007, 10:41 PM
Hey i met my current girlfriend when i was playing the only Necrophagist song i know (Fould Body Autopsy) in a music store, she came over and we started talking about death metal and whatnot, next thing you know, i got me self a metal chick! biggrin.gif

Although i have never had a crowd gather around me, at the most maybe 3 people watching what i was playing, i guess im not at the level where i can steal someones girlfriend, hopefully though with GMC I will be able to someday.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Mar 29 2007, 01:01 AM
Instructor
No no no - no lessons on stealing chicks! I keep it for myself hehehehehe

But anyway it was so funny hahahaha

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:37 AM