If You Could Go Back In Time.....
Bear Rose
Sep 29 2010, 03:44 AM
Beginner Instructor
If you could go back in time to when you first started playing guitar and give yourself advice on what to learn and which direction to take with the guitar, what would it be?

I would go back in time and tell myself to learn the major scale all over the fretboard, and also to learn how the intervals in the major scale relate to the chords in major key tonality music. Also, I would tell myself to practice learning songs, riffs, melodies, etc by ear as much as possible.

What would you go back and tell yourself?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Fran
Sep 29 2010, 04:09 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'd go back 16 years in time and tell myself not to quit playing! So many years lost in the gap... Oh well smile.gif

Internet, computers, modelling, affordable multi-effects and all that stuff really makes it much easier to learn these days though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
MirkoSchmidt
Sep 29 2010, 04:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
i would tell myself:

Stop playing guitar and jump from a big builidung! your life will be horrbile in 3 years! ^^

only joking...

but i think i wouldnt give me some advice. i dont like advices. i love to play every day something different. some day i love to play blues stuff, next day jazz and a week later im depressed and im only practicing death metal stuff.
thats the way it works for me.
im not a good guitar player, im sure i could be better with more useful practice, but thats the way it is much fun to play every day!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Captain Insaino
Sep 29 2010, 05:07 PM
GMC:er
I would tell my self, to get a good instructor and practice every day. Teaching your self is the hard way to go about it.. Then when I get out of high school I would tell my self to apply to MTI in L.A. and get my Degree in Music.... Life would be so much different...

--------------------
If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Sep 29 2010, 06:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I would have started with a better grounding in triads, major scales, arpeggios, and pentatonics right from the get go. I would spent time drilling technique and learning songs. I would have told myself to not quit playing and I would have adopted my guitar mantra sooner. "You don't have to be good at guitar, to still have fun playing it." I would have listened to more guitar players and tried to emulate them. I wouldn't have made it so hard.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Sep 29 2010, 06:14 PM
Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Captain Insaino @ Sep 29 2010, 12:07 PM) *
I would tell my self, to get a good instructor and practice every day. Teaching your self is the hard way to go about it.. Then when I get out of high school I would tell my self to apply to MTI in L.A. and get my Degree in Music.... Life would be so much different...

I think I would do something similar to this also. I would have told myself to major in music/guitar in college. I had no clue what I wanted to major in, so I just picked something that I didn't dislike. I really wish I had majored in music/guitar instead now.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 29 2010, 06:39 PM
Get a webcam and try look so cute on youtube singing 'Baby, baby, baby, ohhh, baby, baby, baby, something, laa dee da dar dar'! That's how you make your millions. laugh.gif

As for the guitar talent, nothing to change. However, also learn the drums.

I think the guitar is forever learning... your'll never stop developing even if you had 5 life times.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Sep 29 2010, 06:42 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Sep 29 2010, 08:08 PM
Instructor
I would tell myself:

don't be worry about the future, here is everything going well, so keep doing what you love and things will work out soon smile.gif

+Quote Post
JamesT
Sep 29 2010, 08:44 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I do wish a great educational site like GMC existed back when I started out. Looking back, I should have worked with a teacher for longer periods of time. Hopefully that teacher would have been both a good player and a good teacher. A good player would have inspired me to realize what's possible on guitar and a good teacher would guide me to develop good practice habits, establish reachable ambitious goals, and keep me on track in my progress. GMC, and the instructors here have been able to fill that role for me for the last couple of years.

The music theory and ear training classes I took in college turned out to be extremely valuable. I wish I had studied theory much sooner though. Most of my playing and learning was by ear in the beginning. It's hard to figure out a tune without at least a tiny bit of background in harmony. (like knowing what a major and minor chord is, and why).

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Sep 29 2010, 08:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
I would tell myself to learn more songs by ear smile.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 29 2010, 08:58 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would recommend two things :

- for very start : guitar tuner
- for later practice : comfortable instrument

If I had a more comfortable instrument I would be much more motivated at the beginning...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Sep 29 2010, 09:52 PM
Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 29 2010, 03:58 PM) *
I would recommend two things :

- for very start : guitar tuner
- for later practice : comfortable instrument

If I had a more comfortable instrument I would be much more motivated at the beginning...

This is so true! So many of my absolute beginner students that I give private lessons to have very cheap guitars and it is very hard for them to learn on. I've come to realize that a first guitar should never be a cheap guitar!

+Quote Post
thefireball
Sep 29 2010, 10:02 PM
Learning Roadie
I'd say, "Join GMC now!"

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Sep 29 2010, 11:17 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
+1 wink.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ Sep 29 2010, 11:02 PM) *
I'd say, "Join GMC now!"

I'd advise myself only one thing: PRACTICE WITH A METRONOME!!!!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 30 2010, 01:25 AM
I'd tell myself, "Don't work so much that you can't play guitar every day! It makes life just lame" Sometimes I get distracted with working/making money/paying bills and then I have to step back and pick up the guitar and just play. I've never regretted a moment spent playing, ever. Can't say the same about working/paying bills/etc. You have to do what you have to do, but always carve time out for yourself and your guitar.

Todd

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 30 2010, 02:12 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Bear Rose @ Sep 29 2010, 10:52 PM) *
This is so true! So many of my absolute beginner students that I give private lessons to have very cheap guitars and it is very hard for them to learn on. I've come to realize that a first guitar should never be a cheap guitar!

Its ok not to have a high end guitar but it has to be playable. Everyone says that beginner should not spend much on a first instrument and I agree with that. But guitar has to be setup well and comfortable (it doesn't have to sound great though). Only later on when I had to chance to play better instrument I realized what I was missing and that problems I thought I had were not actually problems.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Bear Rose
Oct 20 2010, 06:03 PM
Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Sep 30 2010, 09:12 AM) *
Its ok not to have a high end guitar but it has to be playable. Everyone says that beginner should not spend much on a first instrument and I agree with that. But guitar has to be setup well and comfortable (it doesn't have to sound great though). Only later on when I had to chance to play better instrument I realized what I was missing and that problems I thought I had were not actually problems.

I agree with you on this, Bogdan. I guess I should have said "poor quality" instead of "cheap". A low quality guitar, or even a good guitar that is not set up properly makes playing and learning, much harder!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Oct 20 2010, 06:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Sep 29 2010, 06:02 PM) *
I'd say, "Join GMC now!"

cool.gif

+Quote Post
Christophe
Oct 20 2010, 07:09 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'd tell to myself :

Don't buy that cheap guitar you won't use it ! Practice 2 hours a day with a comfortable guitar (ESP LTD for instance !) and join GMC ASAP !

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
superize
Oct 20 2010, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I would say. Save money and buy a good guitar instead of many not so good

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:12 PM