2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Cubase, Amplitube 3 And Prs, Soundcheck
Staffy
May 2 2010, 11:10 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Berglmir @ Apr 29 2010, 08:37 AM) *
That bad? huh.gif
Come on people I need your feedback to improve. I think I´m on the right way but need your guidance!
Thanks again for any comments on my mix!

I think the first one was the best, tone-wise. Also the guitar is a little loud in the second & third takes.
If You are using Cubase 5, try to use the multi-band compression on the master bus to "glue" it a little more together, but be careful
so it doesn't starts to pump. If not, T-racks T3 and AMT max warmth also does a womderful job on mastering the whole track. (if You can't access Tony ofc. biggrin.gif )
A little RAM-saving trick here would be to render the guitar tracks without reverb & delay (eg. then You can switch off Amplitube 3) and use the delay & reverb in Cubase instead (or other plugs), these effects seems to be low-budget in guitar sims anyway, and there are a lot of other plugs that will do a better job.

//Staffay

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 2 2010, 11:22 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Staffy @ May 3 2010, 12:10 AM) *
I think the first one was the best, tone-wise. Also the guitar is a little loud in the second & third takes.
If You are using Cubase 5, try to use the multi-band compression on the master bus to "glue" it a little more together, but be careful
so it doesn't starts to pump. If not, T-racks T3 and AMT max warmth also does a womderful job on mastering the whole track. (if You can't access Tony ofc. biggrin.gif )
A little RAM-saving trick here would be to render the guitar tracks without reverb & delay (eg. then You can switch off Amplitube 3) and use the delay & reverb in Cubase instead (or other plugs), these effects seems to be low-budget in guitar sims anyway, and there are a lot of other plugs that will do a better job.

//Staffay

Nice tip - thanks a lot Staffy!
Guess your in a good mood now that the mind nagging tune could be named! laugh.gif
Never noticed guitars in the song "True" by SB - have to check it out!
Cheers again!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 3 2010, 12:56 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I think overall its better though there are a few things you may want to look at/consider.

Rather like Staffay I think the guitars are bit too forward in the mix - so I'd re-track and bring them down if you can. I still find some of the frequency band a bit exaggerated - especially the low and high mid band, particularly the 1st and 2nd order harmonics on the distorted guitar. Also, and like Staffay, I think the track would benefit from being a bit more 'analogue warm' and so you might want to look at some form of tape saturation vst effect. If you want to glue the track a bit then Staffay's suggestion of a comp on the 2 bus is good - personally I'd go for a wide band comp rather than multi/split particularly if you're not sure how to set up a multi. (If you overdo or get a multi wrong you can create a lot of issues and make the track fall apart quite quickly.) If you know what you're doing though then by all means look at a multi/split band.

Personally I'd go easy on effects - to me less is often more. A good mix comes from great tracking/recording rather than putting in lots of vsts at the mix. Too much, particularly reverb, can result in a mix that sounds messy and over processed. If the mix isn't better then the original recording it can be better to start again with the clean tracking/recording and redo rather than try to add more processing to the mix.

Last bit - if you compare your recording to a commercial CD don't be disappointed if yours doesn't sound as good or as loud. The commercial cd will almost certainly have been recorded, mixed and mastered professionally. If you are doing things for your own enjoyment then by all means try to emulate the mixing/mastering that you like but just be aware that the vsts etc you're probably using aren't quite in the same league with a pro and that the pros (should) have more experience in what to do. A good way to learn here is to book time with a professional engineer etc and watch them process to see what they do and why.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Berglmir
May 3 2010, 02:01 PM
GMC:er
Perfect hints and tips - REALLY appreciate your feedback!
I will try to improve myself - now it´s easier because you have shown me where/how to look. happy.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:20 PM