> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Madfish's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2019, 01:46 PM
Instructor
Can you please share your FX (rev and delay) settings and maybe any print screen?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 5 2019, 02:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 5 2019, 12:46 PM) *
Can you please share your FX (rev and delay) settings and maybe any print screen?

Still too heavy on the reverb/delay?
Sure. Here is the screenshot.

Delay time is 175ms.
Remaining settings are more or less visible in the screenshot.
Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2019, 02:56 PM
Instructor
What about bypassing Reveb and adding some more presence? I would like to hear your take with that adjustment...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 5 2019, 03:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 5 2019, 01:56 PM) *
What about bypassing Reveb and adding some more presence? I would like to hear your take with that adjustment...

Presence up, reverb off.

https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-wayne-shepherd-phrasing-take-3

It became quite piercing in the ears on high notes IMHO. Made some further adjustments and cut some treble. Here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-shepherd-phrasing-take-44

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jul 5 2019, 03:30 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 7 2019, 03:58 PM
Instructor
Well done! I like the second audio. I think that bypassing reverb has been a good move. You can continue experimenting with your delay settings to have the right ambience, but this is definitely on the right track, do you agree?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 9 2019, 11:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 7 2019, 02:58 PM) *
Well done! I like the second audio. I think that bypassing reverb has been a good move. You can continue experimenting with your delay settings to have the right ambience, but this is definitely on the right track, do you agree?

Thanks! Yeah, I completely agree.

I went ahead with 1.5 repeat kind of delay. It's very subtle. I suppose that's what works best in blues context. How is that?
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-wayne-shepherd-phrasing-take-5

I also tried pushing the amp a bit harder with an overdrive. Here is a take with BD-2 in front.
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-wayne-shepherd-phrasing-drive

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jul 9 2019, 12:14 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 9 2019, 06:11 PM
Instructor
Like! I think that both adjustments have been positive! Now I would continue polishing EQ.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 10 2019, 02:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 9 2019, 05:11 PM) *
Like! I think that both adjustments have been positive! Now I would continue polishing EQ.

Cool!
Ok, let me try that:
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-wayne-shepherd-phrasing-drive-2

Frankly speaking, I don't know where do go with EQ tweaking. Boosting or cutting any band doesn't make it sound better in my opinion. Any hints?

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jul 10 2019, 02:20 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 10 2019, 05:27 PM
Instructor
Ok! I think that now you have a very convincing tone for the lesson and backing track. This process is what you need to do to keep on improving your tone. This is also something that can (should) be practiced, so the more you do it, the more skilled you'll become.

Does it make sense? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Jul 10 2019, 06:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 10 2019, 04:27 PM) *
Ok! I think that now you have a very convincing tone for the lesson and backing track. This process is what you need to do to keep on improving your tone. This is also something that can (should) be practiced, so the more you do it, the more skilled you'll become.

Does it make sense? smile.gif

Sure. I guess it's a never ending tone chase for every single guitar player out there.

I listened more carefully to few songs by Bonamassa. He has the most round, sick blues tone in my opinion. I noticed it's much less trebly and with more pushed mids. Here is where I got turning few EQ knobs and a bit more drive:
https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/kenny-wayne-shepherd-phrasing-drive-3

I like it more this way. What is your opinion?
I know it's not exactly Bonamassa biggrin.gif He has some ridiculous rig worth as much as a house by the way.

So where do I go now? Practice my vibrato and make another video out of it?

This post has been edited by Madfish: Jul 10 2019, 06:18 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 11 2019, 02:22 PM
Instructor
GREAT!!

Regarding the current lesson please dedicate some time to analyse what's happening regarding theory. Check out the chord progression and notice what's Jonathan using to play over it. Also, please do you own improvisations over the backing track using those concepts, and variations of the licks.

New lesson suggestion:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Steve-...r-Modern-Style/

PS: Your playing on Kenny Wayne lesson is good but there is still some room to improve dynamics, and vibrato. There are also a few licks that can sound tighter (mostly the higher frets ones).

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Oct 16 2019, 05:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 11 2019, 01:22 PM) *
GREAT!!

Regarding the current lesson please dedicate some time to analyse what's happening regarding theory. Check out the chord progression and notice what's Jonathan using to play over it. Also, please do you own improvisations over the backing track using those concepts, and variations of the licks.

New lesson suggestion:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Steve-...r-Modern-Style/

PS: Your playing on Kenny Wayne lesson is good but there is still some room to improve dynamics, and vibrato. There are also a few licks that can sound tighter (mostly the higher frets ones).

New lesson is great. Fast licks are a bit over the top for me, but I'll get there.

I'll try to get a final take on Kenny Wayne and post something soon.

In the meantime I need your help. I started rehearsing with a band. Can we stray for a while and talk about composition? How do you go about creating songs? Got this riff idea. Maybe you can guide me in some direction.

https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/prog-riff/s-tCsJy

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 18 2019, 04:38 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! Great to know that you are working on the lesson!

Composition! Ok! Let's talk about it. That soundcloud link isn't working.

What are your band's influences?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Oct 18 2019, 09:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 18 2019, 03:38 AM) *
Hi mate! Great to know that you are working on the lesson!

Composition! Ok! Let's talk about it. That soundcloud link isn't working.

What are your band's influences?

I just made it the Soundcloud track public. Hope that solves the problem.

I barely know the other band members yet biggrin.gif So far we mostly play 90s rock, like Garbage. Some older rock covers as well (Joan Jett). Personally I'd more lean towards progressive rock, blues rock or southern rock.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 19 2019, 05:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Madfish @ Oct 18 2019, 05:16 PM) *
I just made it the Soundcloud track public. Hope that solves the problem.

I barely know the other band members yet biggrin.gif So far we mostly play 90s rock, like Garbage. Some older rock covers as well (Joan Jett). Personally I'd more lean towards progressive rock, blues rock or southern rock.

Well, the first thing that I would do is to have some references that you think they and you will like. That's a great starting point if you want to have success with the songs. By success I mean, to be sure that you both will like the direction of the songs.

For example... are you going in this direction? More blues rock...

of this one? more Garbage...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Oct 22 2019, 04:40 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 19 2019, 04:16 PM) *
Well, the first thing that I would do is to have some references that you think they and you will like. That's a great starting point if you want to have success with the songs. By success I mean, to be sure that you both will like the direction of the songs.

I agree. We're all into something a tad heavier than what you've shared.

At the moment, the only song I can think of is by this Polish band:

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2019, 03:53 AM
Instructor
Cool reference! The band reminds me to Black Stone Cherry. Do you know them? I can also hear some Alter Bridge and Slash's recent album vibes (but darker).

The first thing that I would do is to get the most I can from some of these songs.

What structure do they use in their songs?
What Scales and Chord Progressions?
What tempos (bpm)?

One trick that works for me is to write the drum groove from any song that I like and jam some riffs over it. That's a cool starting point.

The song that you shared has this elements:

- Main riff
- Verse over Riff
- Pre-chorus + Chorus (It starts like a pre-chorus but keeps evolving).
- Solo/instrumental riff

Those are the elements that you need to compose to create your song.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Oct 23 2019, 09:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, I guess you could call them Polish Black Stone Cherry or Clutch. They were formed in late 80s as a punk band and slowly gravitated towards southern rock.

OK, so I tried to play along with the recording to figure out all riffs/licks. I supposed they are tuned down to C# (what a surprise biggrin.gif).
The whole piece in C# minor. All verse/chorus/pre-chorus riffs are C# blues scale. Single notes with C# as a pedal tone or power chords.
Solo is again C# blues scale. He throws in an major third at some point. That's actually the part which I enjoy most.

Did I get that right more or less?

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 23 2019, 02:53 AM) *
Cool reference! The band reminds me to Black Stone Cherry. Do you know them? I can also hear some Alter Bridge and Slash's recent album vibes (but darker).

The first thing that I would do is to get the most I can from some of these songs.

What structure do they use in their songs?
What Scales and Chord Progressions?
What tempos (bpm)?

One trick that works for me is to write the drum groove from any song that I like and jam some riffs over it. That's a cool starting point.

The song that you shared has this elements:

- Main riff
- Verse over Riff
- Pre-chorus + Chorus (It starts like a pre-chorus but keeps evolving).
- Solo/instrumental riff

Those are the elements that you need to compose to create your song.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 23 2019, 03:26 PM
Instructor
Exactly! Not a big secret. Pentatonic Minor and Blues Scale. Enter Sandman by Metallica uses the same concepts.

You could get into more songs like this and start jamming over a similar drum loop to get cool riffs.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Madfish
Oct 24 2019, 03:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 23 2019, 02:26 PM) *
Exactly! Not a big secret. Pentatonic Minor and Blues Scale. Enter Sandman by Metallica uses the same concepts.

You could get into more songs like this and start jamming over a similar drum loop to get cool riffs.

Right. Good drum groove can be an inspiration. On it! biggrin.gif

They got a song idea with a place for a solo. I composed something over that. It's work in progress. What do you think? All constructive critique is more than welcome. Please don't worry about hurting my feelings or something smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/adampolomski/misconnection

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:53 AM