Teaching Your Fingers To Move Independently
fkalich
Jun 12 2007, 02:25 AM
GMC:er
This seems very important to me. Pavel mentioned in a lesson keeping them close to the fret board. When he wrote that, i just thought to keep them close for speed. but i found that to do that, you have to teach them to move independently. for example, if you push a finger tip to the fret board, the other fingers stay motionless.

Unfortunately it seems, to learn to do this, you have to slow down to a snails pace. Just started today, but i right away see some improvement in my ability to move fingers independently. i hope so, don't want to be a snail all my life. Any thoughts?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 12 2007, 02:35 AM
Learning Roadie
My own trick to this is to form a chord, any of the major/minor chords or barre chords will do. Now the goal is to hit each fretted string and then lift the finger only of that string and hit the string again. I figure, when you do chords you're only telling your fingers to move together as one thing, so breaking it up like that will train them to also move independently. It's hard at first but seems to work.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
kahall
Jun 12 2007, 02:38 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 11 2007, 08:25 PM) *
This seems very important to me. Pavel mentioned in a lesson keeping them close to the fret board. When he wrote that, i just thought to keep them close for speed. but i found that to do that, you have to teach them to move independently. for example, if you push a finger tip to the fret board, the other fingers stay motionless.

Unfortunately it seems, to learn to do this, you have to slow down to a snails pace. Just started today, but i right away see some improvement in my ability to move fingers independently. i hope so, don't want to be a snail all my life. Any thoughts?

I struggle with this to. If my index finger goes one way, my pinky wants to go with it. The other fingers are fine.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 12 2007, 02:50 AM
it takes time and patience..and many hours of practice........Satriania...and John Petrucci has great lessons on how to do this...very hard lessons.at first..but an hour of practice with it..and you get it at slow speeds......but very good lessons.that i personally have been using!!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 12 2007, 03:35 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 11 2007, 08:50 PM) *
it takes time and patience..and many hours of practice........Satriania...and John Petrucci has great lessons on how to do this...very hard lessons.at first..but an hour of practice with it..and you get it at slow speeds......but very good lessons.that i personally have been using!!!

can you dig up links on the lessons? i am thinking the real important thing is with single note runs, playing with ones fingertips. they should be like radio buttons, you know, all at the same level. one goes down, when another goes down the other pops back to the level, only one down at a time. but would really like all the guidance i can find on this, cause like you say, it it hard, and i want to minimize the pain, so lesson links would be great.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 12 2007, 03:36 AM

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 12 2007, 03:47 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-H72ECeZBs...ted&search=

its not specficaly for that independent movement..really..but do the chord warm-up..i garantuee..it will help you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpr9_XkXEA...ted&search=

do what hes doing in the beginning..and try to get faster..and faster...on it...it helps on the independent movemnt.....but no specifically made for it....

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jun 12 2007, 04:10 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jun 11 2007, 08:47 PM) *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-H72ECeZBs...ted&search=

its not specficaly for that independent movement..really..but do the chord warm-up..i garantuee..it will help you....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBpr9_XkXEA...ted&search=

do what hes doing in the beginning..and try to get faster..and faster...on it...it helps on the independent movemnt.....but no specifically made for it....

Yeah that satch lesson is really good, I've been doing it for a while. Thanks for showing me the petrucci one.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 12 2007, 04:32 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jun 11 2007, 10:10 PM) *
Yeah that satch lesson is really good, I've been doing it for a while. Thanks for showing me the petrucci one.

I downloaded the petrucci lessons. I was downloading 4 at a time, and could not help but notice that 4 petrucci's talking at the same time sounds a lot like one satch talking.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jun 12 2007, 04:35 AM
yea it is...but in differnet variations!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 12 2007, 06:45 AM
thanks, for these or any other words of advice that may follow in the thread. this will take some time, i can tell that. not going to stop all progress until i fix this, just going to work on it over time, gradually as i can. with exercises and stretches, both on the guitar neck and without it.

+Quote Post
johnnyquest
Jun 13 2007, 04:10 AM
Great....another thing to teach my left hand?

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 13 2007, 06:06 AM
QUOTE (johnnyquest @ Jun 12 2007, 10:10 PM) *
Great....another thing to teach my left hand?

if it was easy, everyone would do it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:30 PM