2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Can You Listen To Music While Working?
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2012, 11:47 AM
Instructor
I just noticed that if I like some music very much, I can't work and listen, just because my brain will be so caught up in the magic of what my ears are sending towards it, that I will not be able to pay attention to my work. The conclusion? I am rarely listening to music when I am working on non musical things, otherwise I will end up like 'my GOD...the melodies...the GROOVE'

How does this work for you? Can you listen to music and work in the same time and of course, be productive?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Oct 13 2012, 12:10 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I dont like listen to music when i have to do a serious job - it would disturb my concentration .

But when i do some easy stuff like in my garden or in my house , listen to music just makes it easier.

The real problem i now have huh.gif

how can i serious learn playing guitar when i cant listen to music THAN ? laugh.gif

Dieter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2012, 12:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Oct 13 2012, 11:10 AM) *
I dont like listen to music when i have to do a serious job - it would disturb my concentration .

But when i do some easy stuff like in my garden or in my house , listen to music just makes it easier.

The real problem i now have huh.gif

how can i serious learn playing guitar when i cant listen to music THAN ? laugh.gif

Dieter

Well, work in the garden and in the house more! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Oct 13 2012, 12:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
yes indeedy smile.gif I listen to music ALL day at work! mostly we have a 'classic rock' station on the radio in the office but I often just fire in my headphones and listen to my own music when there is too much noise from people smile.gif but I have noticed that if I happen to be doing something that requires a lot of concentration I can easily block out the music. I can listen to one album for a few hours because I have 'missed' a few songs.
Actually being able to listen to music all day is one of the plus points of my job LOL! which probably doesn't say much for my career aspirations!

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Oct 13 2012, 12:24 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2012, 01:16 PM) *
Well, work in the garden and in the house more! laugh.gif

This could have said my wife biggrin.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Oct 13 2012, 01:22 PM) *
yes indeedy smile.gif I listen to music ALL day at work! mostly we have a 'classic rock' station on the radio in the office but I often just fire in my headphones and listen to my own music when there is too much noise from people smile.gif but I have noticed that if I happen to be doing something that requires a lot of concentration I can easily block out the music. I can listen to one album for a few hours because I have 'missed' a few songs.
Actually being able to listen to music all day is one of the plus points of my job LOL! which probably doesn't say much for my career aspirations!

You are a lucky man !

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 13 2012, 12:46 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I have to listen whilst working but I also have to remain objective and critical. A lot of the time I'm more focused on detail than on the tune as a whole or non musical issues and so don't really pay that much attention to the song as a whole. It's often only once the project has finished that I come to any idea of whether or not I like the music.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ekilo
Oct 13 2012, 03:54 PM
GMC:er
I listen to music everyday at work. Its a good time for me to listen to new things. I have coworkers who like to hear new stuff so I can play whatever I want to. It doesn't detract from my work. I feel like I work better and have a better attitude when rockin out at work. No complaints from the boss either.

--------------------
Bill Tanner

My Facebook

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Oct 13 2012, 04:31 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I play music and talk radio but it mostly acts as back ground noise. I work with too many noisy machines and air compressors to really hear it most of the time.

I usually get my music fix before and after work. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 13 2012, 04:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 13 2012, 12:46 PM) *
I have to listen whilst working but I also have to remain objective and critical. A lot of the time I'm more focused on detail than on the tune as a whole or non musical issues and so don't really pay that much attention to the song as a whole. It's often only once the project has finished that I come to any idea of whether or not I like the music.

funny !!

well, worked construction since high school , and usually loud( rock) music gets me moving- unless I am doing remodeling in an office and then I need to be quiet( do not like the being quiet). and now that I am thinking about it, it is amazing that amount of people that want to have remodeling done but when I start they tell me they didnt think it would be so noisy, you know, saws, breaking down walls, jack hammering concrete- I really should be more considerate and quiet it these down.

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Oct 13 2012, 04:43 PM

+Quote Post
wollace03
Oct 13 2012, 05:14 PM
I can´t do much without listening to music....It helps me a lot even when I am reading or working my e mails or writing project reports....
unfortunately most days are filled with so many meetings that I have to listen to a lot of talking instead of music..

but my whole life is connected to music and i have a certain song I relate to most situations in my life...it connects with the emotions I had then...

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 13 2012, 08:01 PM
Instructor
I can draw or do tasks that don't require you to have thoughts whilst having music in the background smile.gif

But if I've got to concentrate or think about writing something then no wink.gif

+Quote Post
ElHombre
Oct 13 2012, 08:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2012, 10:47 AM) *
I just noticed that if I like some music very much, I can't work and listen, just because my brain will be so caught up in the magic of what my ears are sending towards it, that I will not be able to pay attention to my work. The conclusion? I am rarely listening to music when I am working on non musical things, otherwise I will end up like 'my GOD...the melodies...the GROOVE'

How does this work for you? Can you listen to music and work in the same time and of course, be productive?

Cosmin

Same here, just impossible.
For example doing math and listening to good music, I cant focus on neither.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Oct 13 2012, 09:13 PM
I listen to the Radio all day at work and listen to music on my PC or Stereo at home at the weekends.
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 14 2012, 12:37 AM
Learning Tone Master
[quote name='ElHombre' date='Oct 13 2012, 08:20 PM' post='612357
For example doing math
[/quote]
doing math isn't work, it's just good fun blink.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 14 2012, 07:41 AM
Instructor
I can't! getting destructed very easily and can't concentrate for some reason!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2012, 07:51 AM
Instructor
The one time when I can listen to NEW music - that means that if I want to listen to new material, I need to do some work which usually allows my brain to be relaxed - cleaning the house for instance. The best time to do it biggrin.gif Oh and there's also walking on the street of course! I NEVER go without music!

While practicing Ken Jutsu, I'm listening to traditional Japanese music to get me in the right state of mind. When I'll start pumping iron at home (I am getting my gym tools next week) I will most definitely put some Pantera on!

These remaining months of the year, it's mostly Aria songs and Pantera for me laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Oct 14 2012, 09:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 14 2012, 07:51 AM) *
While practicing Ken Jutsu, I'm listening to traditional Japanese music to get me in the right state of mind. When I'll start pumping iron at home (I am getting my gym tools next week) I will most definitely put some Pantera on!

Put this on loud before you hit the weights and I bet you can more pull ups than usual !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2012, 01:01 PM
Instructor
Thanks Ben! biggrin.gif Nice choice! I actually didn't know about this one!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 14 2012, 09:55 PM
Instructor
yes, I can if I'm not working on something regarding music (composing, recording, mixing, etc...). however my problem is that most of my jobs are related to that so there are not so many times when I can work and listen to music at the same time.

One of my favourite things to listen is those online radios that can be found in live365 site.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 15 2012, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Oh, yeah, those have a lot of good stuff and the best part is, you never know what's next biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:06 AM