Emir's Vinnie Moore Lesson, My progress!
Ajmurrell
Dec 9 2008, 03:05 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hey guys smile.gif

I've been practising this lesson for a few weeks now, trying my best to pull off this awesome lesson!

I thought I'd upload a couple of my takes to show what progress I've made so far.

Speed wise, its a completely new area of practise for me! I've previously learnt some sweeping runs and alternate picking licks, but never really put enough effort to push it past the 60bpm area...

Now I'm slowly getting down with the 90bpm backing and really enjoying this lesson! Recommend it fully to anyone, it's really one of those "I'm improving!!" lessons for me, and I haven't had that feeling for a while - which is probably my fault more than anything considering the amount of high quality lessons here.

Anyway, here's the two takes!

This one is the most recent, recorded earlier this evening and accurately shows my flaws at this current speed. Lots of work to do, but feeling really good about my progress smile.gif

Attached File  vinniemoore90_mixdown.mp3 ( 1.32MB ) Number of downloads: 281

And this is a video take I took a week (and a bit rolleyes.gif) earlier:

Attached File  vinniemoore2.wmv ( 4.6MB ) Number of downloads: 202

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Dec 9 2008, 03:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Dec 8 2008, 09:05 PM) *
Hey guys smile.gif

I've been practising this lesson for a few weeks now, trying my best to pull off this awesome lesson!

I thought I'd upload a couple of my takes to show what progress I've made so far.

Speed wise, its a completely new area of practise for me! I've previously learnt some sweeping runs and alternate picking licks, but never really put enough effort to push it past the 60bpm area...

Now I'm slowly getting down with the 90bpm backing and really enjoying this lesson! Recommend it fully to anyone, it's really one of those "I'm improving!!" lessons for me, and I haven't had that feeling for a while - which is probably my fault more than anything considering the amount of high quality lessons here.

Anyway, here's the two takes!

This one is the most recent, recorded earlier this evening and accurately shows my flaws at this current speed. Lots of work to do, but feeling really good about my progress smile.gif

Attached File  vinniemoore90_mixdown.mp3 ( 1.32MB ) Number of downloads: 281

And this is a video take I took a week (and a bit rolleyes.gif ) earlier:

Attached File  vinniemoore2.wmv ( 4.6MB ) Number of downloads: 202

This is awesome dude! Sure lots of flubbed notes, but what catches my attention more is the tone, vibrato, note control and conviction. IMO aside from the note flubs you have captured the spirit of the lesson. Awesome !

Daniel

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 9 2008, 03:40 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Dec 9 2008, 02:37 AM) *
This is awesome dude! Sure lots of flubbed notes, but what catches my attention more is the tone, vibrato, note control and conviction. IMO aside from the note flubs you have captured the spirit of the lesson. Awesome !

Daniel

Heh, yeah LOTS of flubbed notes - accuracy is what I'm working on most, and probably my hardest barrier, but each day I'm getting that little bit cleaner.

This definitely isn't my finished product but its so much fun!!

Thanks for your kind words biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Dec 9 2008, 03:46 AM
Instructor
I don't think its really an accuracy problem. At least the way i define it. Sounds more like just a dexterity issue for certain lick types.

The reason i say that is that you accurately deliver the song with conviction and attitude. You miss notes sure, but what i mean is that typically someone just starting to move into upper intermediate/advanced playing skills will fret notes incorrectly i.e. finger misses the fret etc ...but you dont do that here. Every note that you play correctly is at the right pitch, no deadness in the note...your bends are spot on...and you have just the right amount of vibrato.

Its just a matter of getting the song under your fingers. I don't think you have accuracy problems at all. Thats just my two cents anyway.

Daniel

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 9 2008, 03:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
Wow, thanks smile.gif That's really nice to hear! I think you're my new best friend biggrin.gif

But yeah, thanks a lot - it does mean a lot to me to hear those comments, as I frequently put my guitar playing down. I think thats a trait in many guitarists though it seems? We're never content with our playing abilities smile.gif

I'll keep at this one for sure, I'm a little bit addicted to the feeling of waking up, and feeling that tiny bit more connected to my instrument.

Thanks again man

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Dec 9 2008, 03:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Dec 9 2008, 03:57 AM
Instructor
No problem dude!

When i was younger i would push myself for hours and hours everyday. Afterwhile though i realized that i was getting dimished returns for doing that. So now i pretty much keep to a scedule of 4 hours 1 day...3 hours the next day. And a day off.

At least for me i have gotten the most out of doing that. It gives me time to assimilate new info, and give my muscles a chance to rest because i started realizing that when i took a break and came back i had improved without touching the guitar. But if i played everyday for hours on end break thru's in my abilities were few and far between.

Daniel

Whoops...read that too fast lol, thought when i read "Put the guitar down" you meant taking time off you meant putting your abilities down as in "I suck" lol. Oh well lol

This post has been edited by Daniel Robinson: Dec 9 2008, 03:59 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 9 2008, 04:03 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Daniel Robinson @ Dec 9 2008, 02:57 AM) *
No problem dude!

When i was younger i would push myself for hours and hours everyday. Afterwhile though i realized that i was getting dimished returns for doing that. So now i pretty much keep to a scedule of 4 hours 1 day...3 hours the next day. And a day off.

At least for me i have gotten the most out of doing that. It gives me time to assimilate new info, and give my muscles a chance to rest because i started realizing that when i took a break and came back i had improved without touching the guitar. But if i played everyday for hours on end break thru's in my abilities were few and far between.

Daniel

Yeah I've noticed that with my practising, once I find something becomes difficult to play with conviction or I start making more mistakes than previous play throughs, I stop for that session. Maybe come back a few hours later and it is just like you said, as if someones been doing some hard work while you've been away smile.gif

I should really be more organised with it though, I do exactly what you describe for one day - and then neglect the practising for a couple of days or more. If I just applied a tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny bit of organisation to my learning I'm confident I could make improvements faster.

It is difficult though cause often when you reach that point when you should stop, you're really into the moment and having an awesome time! Putting the guitar down at that point feels very unnatural. heh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 9 2008, 04:10 AM
GMC:er
Great job man. Approaching hard stuff is the fastest way to learn!

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 9 2008, 01:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks man smile.gif It's so much fun! The challenge is great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 10 2008, 09:16 PM
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Dec 9 2008, 01:23 PM) *
Thanks man smile.gif It's so much fun! The challenge is great.

Absolutely. And you were clever, instead of posting a 100% speed version with 90% misses, you rather worked on getting a slowed one spotless.

Very clever!

Practise fast for improvement, but record well-> best. smile.gif

This post has been edited by kjutte: Dec 10 2008, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 10 2008, 10:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
Heh, thanks smile.gif Although I would say that 90bpm take has more than 10% errors in it! blink.gif but thats the idea I'm going for, I don't want to rush into full speed and have it very messy. It's pretty messy at the lower speeds still right now, but aiming for hitting 120bpm before christmas! Maybe not perfectly, I'll have the 90bpm take nailed by christmas, and a half decent attempt at 120.

Thats my goal smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Dec 10 2008, 10:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 11 2008, 01:05 AM
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Dec 10 2008, 10:54 PM) *
Heh, thanks smile.gif Although I would say that 90bpm take has more than 10% errors in it! blink.gif but thats the idea I'm going for, I don't want to rush into full speed and have it very messy. It's pretty messy at the lower speeds still right now, but aiming for hitting 120bpm before christmas! Maybe not perfectly, I'll have the 90bpm take nailed by christmas, and a half decent attempt at 120.

Thats my goal smile.gif

Practise max speed, record max clean. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 11 2008, 02:53 AM
Instructor
I told you about this in the other topic so I won't give more comments. I think you're getting there smile.gif Muris is now with me here at my place and saying "well done". He has just went to sleep, destroyed from delayed flights today.

We are waiting for the full tempo take smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 11 2008, 03:01 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Dec 11 2008, 01:53 AM) *
I told you about this in the other topic so I won't give more comments. I think you're getting there smile.gif Muris is now with me here at my place and saying "well done". He has just went to sleep, destroyed from delayed flights today.

We are waiting for the full tempo take smile.gif

Yeah, I just wanted to show my progress to some more people as I'm really enjoying it and feel like I'm making good progress. Honored to recieve both your compliments biggrin.gif
Working very hard on those sixteenth note triplets!

Gutted I won't be able to make it to your gigs, maybe when I'm well in the future and by then you'll be doing the meanfiddler or Astoria! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 11 2008, 03:28 AM
Instructor
Or Hammersmith Apolo smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 30 2008, 01:22 AM
Learning Tone Master
Got a new video up showing my progress I recorded today - It's bad, but I blame lack of practise due to christmas! Certainly feels easier to play, even if I don't show it tongue.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...rt=#entry310122

Still stoked about being accepted into the first part of the MTP biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Dec 30 2008, 01:26 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 30 2008, 03:12 AM
Instructor
Not bad at all mate. You were late a bit on the lick no. 2 (slides on 3rd and 4th string). You started the lick late. Your guitar sound is really sharp, try taking down hi frequencies a bit. Watch my right hand on the main video. I change pickup position sometimes while playing. Just before I play the lick that you moved an octave down I set my pickup selector to neck position and keep it all the way until all arpeggios are finished (when the track goes back to the main riff again). I hope this will help sort your tone a bit.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 30 2008, 03:59 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks man smile.gif That lick in no.2 really is proving a problem for me isn't it? damn it! I shall most certainly get that DOWN before my next take. MY picking motion feels very fluid and no longer a struggle which is awesome as it feels very comfrotable to play. The 16th triplet runs still need work, but I feel I've made heeps of progress in terms of how it feels to play them.
The tone is horrible, I'll admit that biggrin.gif Mainly because I loaded a custom patch on the Toneport which was intended for Active pickups, and I used it on the strat. Maybe that explains the tinny sound! smile.gif

Thanks though, I'm still working on this and certainly haven't forgotten about it. Just might have relaxed a little on the practise over the past week. It was christmas after all smile.gif Hope you had a good one.

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Dec 30 2008, 02:12 AM) *
Not bad at all mate. You were late a bit on the lick no. 2 (slides on 3rd and 4th string). You started the lick late. Your guitar sound is really sharp, try taking down hi frequencies a bit. Watch my right hand on the main video. I change pickup position sometimes while playing. Just before I play the lick that you moved an octave down I set my pickup selector to neck position and keep it all the way until all arpeggios are finished (when the track goes back to the main riff again). I hope this will help sort your tone a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:19 PM