Ibby [ 1 ] ** [25.00%]
Squier Jazz Master [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
Total Votes: 4
Guests cannot vote 
Phil66
Apr 16 2021, 05:12 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello folks,

I'm looking for a cheap guitar to leave at my holiday home, I can't decide which one of my "home guitars" to take as they all have sentimental value and I can guarantee I'll want to use whichever one I leave there.

No bells and whistles like trem system, etc.

Thinking things like these

https://www.andertons.co.uk/hard-tail-fixed...h-fretboard-blk never played a dinky, are they stupid small?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/hard-tail-fixed...itar-black-flat

I'm leaning towards the Ibby even though it has Todd's nemesis Infinity pickups.

This is the kind of thing I'm after what are your ideas?

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 17 2021, 10:00 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 16 2021, 06:36 PM
GMC:er
save yourself!!! smile.gif Run away from the INF pickups!! Kidding. they are not my fave to be sure, but for a travel guitar they are more than fine. Good prices on both of those! The ibby is a littler closer in feel to your other ibbys just because it's an ibby smile.gif But it does have wizard III neck (my other nemesis). still, i've enjoyed guitars with infinity pups and wizard III necks like the XIPHOS series which I still love to this day and hope to add back to my collection smile.gif

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 16 2021, 12:12 PM) *
Hello folks,

I'm looking for a cheap guitar to leave at my holiday home, I can't decide which one of my "home guitars" to take as they all have sentimental value and I can guarantee I'll want to use whichever one I leave there.

No bells and whistles like trem system, etc.

Thinking things like these

https://www.andertons.co.uk/hard-tail-fixed...h-fretboard-blk never played a dinky, are they stupid small?

I'm leaning towards the Ibby even though it has Todd's nemesis Infinity pickups.

This is the kind of thing I'm after what are your ideas?

Cheers

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 16 2021, 07:01 PM
I might like the Wizard III neck though, the wizard prestige feels like playing a credit card wink.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 16 2021, 06:36 PM) *
save yourself!!! smile.gif Run away from the INF pickups!! Kidding. they are not my fave to be sure, but for a travel guitar they are more than fine. Good prices on both of those! The ibby is a littler closer in feel to your other ibbys just because it's an ibby smile.gif But it does have wizard III neck (my other nemesis). still, i've enjoyed guitars with infinity pups and wizard III necks like the XIPHOS series which I still love to this day and hope to add back to my collection smile.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 17 2021, 07:32 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 16 2021, 07:26 PM
Heretic!!!! smile.gif It does have a credit card vibe to be sure. i didn't think how that might actually get in the way depending on the variables at work. The WIZ III is by no means a baseball bat. It's just not the credit card smile.gif

[

quote name='Phil66' date='Apr 16 2021, 02:01 PM' post='787820']
I might lie the Wizard III neck though, the wizard prestige feels like playing a credit card wink.gif
[/quote]

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 16 2021, 07:26 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 16 2021, 06:01 PM) *

Hey Phil, remember this topic? smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=61910&hl=

So yes the minion Dinky is super small, the standard size dinky is the JS11 which I own. After a few years used as a travel guitars, the tuners started feel a bit wonky and not the greatest guitar to stay in tune but on that price range this is very normal. Other than that no problems so far and what I like most about it is the neck shape, its ridiculously close to a JP musicman profile (which is not thin like ibanez, but very small if it makes sense).

But if you want durability for the same price range Squire and Yamaha are hard to beat.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 16 2021, 08:05 PM
I personally would go for a Squier.
I have one out 24 hours a day in my practice area/studio. The room is barely insulated and the temp fluctuations can vary dramatically from day to night. It's fine. It's got a massive coat of polyurethane on it and the back of the neck. It's pretty much impervious to the elements.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 16 2021, 08:14 PM
Thanks Ken,

I was thinking of that, could do with humbuckers though that can be split, I'm not sure what the electrics are like in the caravan. I guess there's always the bridge/middle and neck/middle.

I'll think hard, I do like that Ibby though.

Thanks for your input buddy.

UPDATE: Bargain https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_bul..._ht_hss_ibk.htm

Or https://www.andertons.co.uk/hard-tail-fixed...-black-metallic

QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 16 2021, 08:05 PM) *
I personally would go for a Squier.
I have one out 24 hours a day in my practice area/studio. The room is barely insulated and the temp fluctuations can vary dramatically from day to night. It's fine. It's got a massive coat of polyurethane on it and the back of the neck. It's pretty much impervious to the elements.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 16 2021, 08:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 16 2021, 08:41 PM
Thanks Todd,

Just wondering if the Squire would be better quality

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 16 2021, 07:26 PM) *
Heretic!!!! smile.gif It does have a credit card vibe to be sure. i didn't think how that might actually get in the way depending on the variables at work. The WIZ III is by no means a baseball bat. It's just not the credit card smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 16 2021, 07:26 PM) *
Hey Phil, remember this topic? smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=61910&hl=

So yes the minion Dinky is super small, the standard size dinky is the JS11 which I own. After a few years used as a travel guitars, the tuners started feel a bit wonky and not the greatest guitar to stay in tune but on that price range this is very normal. Other than that no problems so far and what I like most about it is the neck shape, its ridiculously close to a JP musicman profile (which is not thin like ibanez, but very small if it makes sense).

But if you want durability for the same price range Squire and Yamaha are hard to beat.

Oh yeah, I remember now.

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 16 2021, 08:55 PM
They make many Squiers with 'buckers ... https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 16 2021, 09:32 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Apr 16 2021, 08:55 PM) *
They make many Squiers with 'buckers ... https://shop.fender.com/en-US/squier-electric-guitars/

Yeah thanks Ken,

I'm keeping my budget low because if the situation, needs to come in at sub £200, found these:

Bargain https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_bul..._ht_hss_ibk.htm

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 16 2021, 09:34 PM
Go for the affinity models if possible, it will be worth it.

I actually played that HSS affinity you linked, been 2 years but remember it being a very ok guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 16 2021, 11:16 PM
This might sound like heresy saying it on a guitar website. tongue.gif
Have you considered having a diferent instrument, I am saying this because, at least for me, when I was a way in vacation, I often had a mini keyboard, even borrowed my friend's bass at a different time. Just to keep the spark fresh!

That being said that Bullet Stratocaster HT HSS looks pretty sweet.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 16 2021, 11:17 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 17 2021, 12:21 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 16 2021, 09:32 PM) *
Yeah thanks Ken,

I'm keeping my budget low because if the situation, needs to come in at sub £200, found these:

Bargain https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_bul..._ht_hss_ibk.htm

a 93 dollar squier and a 80 dollar after market pick up is the way to go, seeing your other guitars I think you will be disappointed with the pups in all these guitars. Sometimes you can get a cheap guitar that plays well since everything is set up on CNC's, then upgrade and you got a cheap guitar that also sound great

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 17 2021, 12:45 AM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 16 2021, 11:21 PM) *

One of my friends main guitar is a Squire Tele, bought used because the neck was unusually comfortable to play and sounded good too. He added Fender PU's on it which turned out great.

But with the next 2-3 guitars it didn't work that great, was more like an eq change to the sound but not really "better" feeling. Lesson was even if a cheapo, the guitar still needs some appeal to its sound or the upgrade really isn't worth it.

Edit; Bullet's by the way use basswood which is non-standard to my knowledge on Fender guitars but Affinity's use alder etc. so there is a better chance to get a good one.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Apr 17 2021, 12:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 17 2021, 08:01 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 16 2021, 09:34 PM) *
Go for the affinity models if possible, it will be worth it.

I actually played that HSS affinity you linked, been 2 years but remember it being a very ok guitar.

Which one is the affinity? They're both bullet I think.

Cheers

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 16 2021, 11:16 PM) *
This might sound like heresy saying it on a guitar website. tongue.gif
Have you considered having a diferent instrument, I am saying this because, at least for me, when I was a way in vacation, I often had a mini keyboard, even borrowed my friend's bass at a different time. Just to keep the spark fresh!

That being said that Bullet Stratocaster HT HSS looks pretty sweet.

Thanks but the main reason is to keep my practise going. Good idea though.

Cheers

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 17 2021, 12:21 AM) *
a 93 dollar squier and a 80 dollar after market pick up is the way to go, seeing your other guitars I think you will be disappointed with the pups in all these guitars. Sometimes you can get a cheap guitar that plays well since everything is set up on CNC's, then upgrade and you got a cheap guitar that also sound great

Yeah maybe, it's mainly too keep my fingers learning though, rather than making good recordings etc, whichever I go for I won't be changing pickups immediately, I'd see how I get on first. I know cheap pickups can get microphonic feedback quite bad but I'll only be using headphones through my laptop.

Cheers

QUOTE (Mertay @ Apr 17 2021, 12:45 AM) *
One of my friends main guitar is a Squire Tele, bought used because the neck was unusually comfortable to play and sounded good too. He added Fender PU's on it which turned out great.

But with the next 2-3 guitars it didn't work that great, was more like an eq change to the sound but not really "better" feeling. Lesson was even if a cheapo, the guitar still needs some appeal to its sound or the upgrade really isn't worth it.

Edit; Bullet's by the way use basswood which is non-standard to my knowledge on Fender guitars but Affinity's use alder etc. so there is a better chance to get a good one.

Thanks for the advice, just been reading about basswood and how it varies so much.

Cheers

Now I'm torn between these two. Okay the Strat doesn't have humbuckers or a hard tail but I can deck it, the Ibby has humbuckers and a hard tail but I'm concerned about the quality.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/squier-affinity...ingerboard#tab4

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 17 2021, 09:04 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 17 2021, 07:01 AM) *

I did find a HH Squire Affinity on thomann, there are 3-4 color option too but I never played one so can't comment on sound; https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_squier_aff...at_hh_il_cf.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Apr 17 2021, 09:58 AM
There's also this and it's got a hard tail. My wife has got involved now and she wants me to have a black or white one rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

She loves my guitars, sometimes I say I'm going to thin my collection out and she gets all upset so I end up adding to it rolleyes.gif

https://www.andertons.co.uk/squier-affinity...ctic-white#tab4

Review : https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/squier-...-review.119424/

UPDATE: This is my current number one contender. Different to any of my others so might just give me a level of excitement to get to our holiday home and pull it out wink.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Apr 17 2021, 10:11 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Mertay
Apr 17 2021, 10:09 AM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 17 2021, 08:58 AM) *
There's also this and it's got a hard tail. My wife has got involved now and she wants me to have a black or white one rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

She loves my guitars, sometimes I say I'm going to thin my collection out and she gets all upset so I end up adding to it rolleyes.gif

https://www.andertons.co.uk/squier-affinity...ctic-white#tab4

Review : https://www.squier-talk.com/threads/squier-...-review.119424/

That looks like a winner to me! cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
petitkyu
Apr 17 2021, 04:50 PM
Hi Phil,

On the same marchand site, you also have a squier affinity with HSS below the 200 pounds limit :
HSS Squier affinity

Too bad it is not white or black!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Apr 17 2021, 05:28 PM
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Apr 17 2021, 09:58 AM) *
UPDATE: This is my current number one contender. Different to any of my others so might just give me a level of excitement to get to our holiday home and pull it out wink.gif

You'll never believe this but I've literally done a setup on one of those this very morning for a good mate!!!
What a cracking guitar for the money!! Played great with a very minimal amount of work!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:07 AM