Gibson, standart vs. studio
Giacinto
Jul 23 2007, 09:04 PM
GMC:er
hi dudes,
i want to buy a new guitar in december and i have the choice between this one
http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP....mpTo=OfferList#
and this one:http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/de_DE/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=?SKU=GIT0003878-004&ProductUUID=0&JumpTo=OfferList#

i really like the studio because i think it looks really beautiful but i had unfortunately just the chance to play the studio and not the standart and now i want to ask what you think.

is the first guitar worth to pay 300 € more or not?
thanks guys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 23 2007, 09:30 PM
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Jul 23 2007, 03:04 PM) *
hi dudes,
i want to buy a new guitar in december and i have the choice between this one
http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP....mpTo=OfferList#
and this one:http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/de_DE/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=?SKU=GIT0003878-004&ProductUUID=0&JumpTo=OfferList#

i really like the studio because i think it looks really beautiful but i had unfortunately just the chance to play the studio and not the standart and now i want to ask what you think.

is the first guitar worth to pay 300 € more or not?
thanks guys

I have three les pauls (also a Firebird, Tele, Strat, and SG). My second favorite guitar is the Firebird. Pretty different from a les paul though.

If you are at this site you probably like shredding stuff, at least the techniques. I find that I can play just as fast on my Les Pauls as my other guitars, even on my 58 with the baseball bat neck, you just adjust to them. But one thing I do like to do is hit harmonics. And that faded has burstbuckers in it, they are just about perfect pickups i think, for someone interested in the above, who also likes the traditional blues rock based stuff (such as Zeppelin). They are supposed to be similar to the PAF pickups.

I have a studio, a custom shop 58 Reissue, and a mahogany. The studio is a very nice sounding instrument. I think they are a pretty good deal. But the pickups are not good ones to get harmonics, they are a more traditional sound. You should be aware of that.

All that being said, of course I would prefer the faded over the studio. Studios have 2 piece backs (does not hurt anything, and you can't see it), and not the binding. Regarding the top, the studio i have has a top that i think is the same thickness as on a standard, not sure if newer ones are as thick a maple top. They probably are. But the studio definitely has your les paul great sustain and tone. I probably play mine more than my fancy les paul. If i could afford it, I would get the faded. If it was just too much, I would get the studio and be happy. Have you looked at the fireburst finish on the studio? That is the one I like myself.

I think the Faded's look better in person than on line, that is what I have heard.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 23 2007, 09:36 PM

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Jul 23 2007, 09:54 PM
yeah i like the studio really much, it is just that i want to buy a real good guitar which i can keep over a few years and therefore it would be a problem to spend like 1700 € .
if i buy a studio and later i find out it sucks in details i would be really f*****up >.<

but i found no other guitar which attracts me as much as the gibson studio.--
if you know a better one just tell me ( ah and i dont like the gibson firebird and sg series, although they sound really cool).

the firebirst for the studio is cool but the red wine i prefer most : )

ah dude you know this guitar http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP....umpTo=OfferList?
very cool i guess but i found no review so im a bit confused if it is worth buying.
if you know anything about it please tell me.

thanks for your answer dude, helped a lot!

Edited for language - Andrew

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 23 2007, 10:09 PM

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Jul 23 2007, 10:29 PM
ah sry andrew when i write fast this words occur .. : D

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 23 2007, 11:30 PM
QUOTE ([email protected] @ Jul 23 2007, 03:54 PM) *
yeah i like the studio really much, it is just that i want to buy a real good guitar which i can keep over a few years and therefore it would be a problem to spend like 1700 € .
if i buy a studio and later i find out it sucks in details i would be really f*****up >.<

but i found no other guitar which attracts me as much as the gibson studio.--
if you know a better one just tell me ( ah and i dont like the gibson firebird and sg series, although they sound really cool).

the firebirst for the studio is cool but the red wine i prefer most : )

ah dude you know this guitar http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP....umpTo=OfferList?
very cool i guess but i found no review so im a bit confused if it is worth buying.
if you know anything about it please tell me.

thanks for your answer dude, helped a lot!

Edited for language - Andrew

i know nothing about the eclipse. harmony-central.com is in my view, the best source of level headed reviews.

i don't know if you can get one of these over there at a good price, but I have one, and it is really a neat guitars. does not sound like my other les pauls, it has a more woody sound. it has a carved mahogany top, rather than maple (so it is lighter). really good harmonics, burstbuckers. good sustain. if you watch ebay, you can find them in near mint at a good price sooner or later. very nice guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gib...itar?sku=517536

but the studio your are talking about is a very nice sounding guitar I assure you. that was my concern, as I expect is yours, does it sound like a standard? except for the pickups, yes it does. the pickups are the same as on an sg standard. and you might like them more than the burstbuckers anyway. just be aware, they are not high pitched pickups, so you can't get the squeal harmonics as well. then again, you can change them if you like later. they stay in tune just fine, really same guitar as standard for all practical purposes.

I also think they are sold by gibson at a lower profit margin to hook you in. Now last year in the fall they had a sale on them, $200 off. Don't know if they will repeat that, but just be aware.

Most people here will try to tell you to buy an Ibanez. I am not one of them, but just be aware of that. They think that they are faster, but that is just because they habitually wrap their thumbs on the neck. The radius is flatter, but i think that means little, actually the 12 inch radius is ideal i think. Yngwie evidently has a 9.5 inch radius. However, if you do wrap your thumb on the neck, and are going to continue to do that, you might listen to them. Pretty hard to play shred on a les paul if you do that, i admit that. Then again, no matter what guitar is your favorite, i think most people do want a nice Les Paul anyway, just for kicks.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 23 2007, 11:36 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 23 2007, 11:33 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 23 2007, 06:30 PM) *
hen again, no matter what guitar is your favorite, i think most people do want a nice Les Paul anyway, just for kicks.

A must for any collection ...

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 23 2007, 11:52 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 23 2007, 05:33 PM) *
A must for any collection ...

if you go to this site, you will find some guys who have 20 or 30 of them, or more.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2

I DO RECOMMEND that before purchasing a Les Paul you read the lespaulforum. Most of those guys have been around awhile, and everything under the sun is covered. they also have an area devoted to other gibsons, however, not as active.

here is a recent thread I found covering the studio.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132309

i used this forum to decide on my good les paul. not only did they help me decide, but steered me to a reputable dealer who sold it for $500 less than what I could have gotten from an internet dealer. Not the guitar for everybody, 58 Standard Reissue from custom shop. Fatter neck than the 50's style neck of today, as i said, if you do shred, and you wrap your thumb, can't imagine playing it. But as I don't do that, i have in my opinion, arguably the best sounding guitar on the planet, with the greatest sustain. Ok, i also think my dog is the best dog on the planet. Then again, if i feel that way, must be pretty good at least.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 24 2007, 12:00 AM

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Jul 24 2007, 12:29 PM
wow dudes thanks for you answers.
i think until december i will test quite a few more guitars.
yeah at first i wanted to buy an ibanez,too, but i found none that attracted me which costs around 1500€.
they just look all the same. if anyone knows an good ibanez please tell me, because i want to compare
this guitar with the studio.

thanks for all of your answers, they really helped me! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 24 2007, 08:12 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
In the UK Standards seem to hold their value better than Studios. Fkalich is, IMO, right as well about the necks. I've got used to the profile of mine and now prefer it to other profiles, clubby or not. It's what you get used to. The one Gibson you might want to check out as an alternative to a LP is a LP Junior with a double cutaway, great sustain, neck etc but also, to me, easier high fret access. Gibson have made a Junior as part of its custom shop run for this year but cheaper than a LP Custom.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Jul 25 2007, 10:27 AM
ok thanks,
has somebody good suggestions for an ibanez to compare(for around 1600) ?
btw - which guitar gabriel is using, its a gibson right?

ty

+Quote Post
Giacinto
Jul 26 2007, 01:33 PM
hey guys!
what do you think about jumbofrets?
today some guy told me its not easy to play fast with them, but a lot of ibanez guitars that
i wanted to test have some.. i usually play some fast stuff so should i give those guitars a try?

cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:45 PM