Playing By Ear, How hard or easy is this for you
dcz702
Feb 14 2015, 08:59 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
So as practice I take easy songs and don't bother looking up tabs for them, I try real easy stuf like green day just a few chords over and over. It takes my a while to learn the song and I really think I'm lacking a good ear. When I can find the key center it's not so hard. But I can't just hear a chord and know what it is like a lot of people. How about you?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jim S.
Feb 14 2015, 08:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Feb 14 2015, 02:59 AM) *
So as practice I take easy songs and don't bother looking up tabs for them, I try real easy stuf like green day just a few chords over and over. It takes my a while to learn the song and I really think I'm lacking a good ear. When I can find the key center it's not so hard. But I can't just hear a chord and know what it is like a lot of people. How about you?

This is a good question, and I have some opinions. First Id say that the número uno thing to get right is the pause button. Sometimes we hunt for tones that have passed and by the time the come around again your finding notes from a previous chord. I'm talking lead guitar. Slowing down a track to say 25% or 50 or 75% and looping a target area is a great way to get your ear working.

It can be so much easier and faster if you look at tabs but if you figure it out you may find an easier way to get the same tones out. You may also find a few other places on the fretboard since you'll have to figure out the best positions.

Amazing Slow Downer is a great program for this sort of thing!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 14 2015, 09:08 PM
GMC:er
Like anything else you need to 1) start simply and 2) practice doing it.

It may 'seem' that a Green Day tune would be easy but honestly, with all that gain on the guitars and bass it actually obscures the tonality/pitch a bit.

Practice 'ear training' with simple folk type songs. Stuff that is relatively clean and doesn't have a lot of chord and key changes.

Learn a tiny bit of music theory/fundamentals like the I, IV and V chords and what they sound like.
Start with 'hearing' progressions like ...
I, IV, V
I, vi, IV, V
I, V, vi, IV
I, II, IV, V
I, bVII, IV
I, bIII, IV

You'll find that a lot of music derives from these.
The 'secret' is that you want to hear the chord progressions w/o having to be on your instrument - that takes way too long!

Once you memorize the sound of a few chord progressions you can practice doing this anywhere/anytime. I practice it when I'm driving.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 14 2015, 09:09 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 15 2015, 02:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
I usually start with eqing so I can hear the bass better and start there, once you have the root notes, chords are not far from them.One of the more difficult things is that so many songs are tunned differently, so I try to find the lowest bass tone ,figuring that would be my open e string, see how the notes work from these assumptions. Once you have your bass line and tuning, the hard part is over

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 15 2015, 02:14 PM
Instructor
This is just a matter of practice and training. The more songs you learn, the more trained your ear will be and also the more chords combinations you'll add to your mind's archive that will makes the things easier and faster the next time. Using the Amazing Slow Downer software is a great help since it has tools like slowing down music and create loops of the parts that you are trying to learn.

From time to time, it would be good to check a tab to be sure that you've learn the song correctly and if not, to analyze what things are different and try to find out what makes you confuse.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 16 2015, 09:16 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Feb 14 2015, 08:59 AM) *

Playing by ear is not easy, especially if you never really practiced it much. Ear training is like other techniques on the guitar, with practice you get better at it. I don't think anyone is really that "gifted" that he could do it without practice. Those people probably spent a lot of time learning songs by ear or just practicing guitar a LOT.

I think you are doing it the right way, that is probably the best way to get started with ear training - by learning songs. This is fun and I also remember when I had a lot of trouble learning very simple chord songs. We all need to start somewhere (from scratch). My suggestion would be to just learn songs you like, preferably simple ones for start which feature clearly heard rhythm guitar playing chords or power chords in case of Green Day. After that, you could start by learning simple melodies. For example, try learning the Wheels on the Bus or Drunken Sailor song melodies. We have these songs covered on GMC so you could double check if you got it right.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Feb 17 2015, 08:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks guys.
What i want to do is hum a melody in my head. Sometimes I listen to some music and I'll play the same song over and over listen to the riff and try to build one off of that changing it a bit or sometimes I get my own stuck in my head, then when I take it to my guitar it's takes so long for me to figure out what I hear in my head to come out of my guitar I thought that this would be a case of not knowing what each note and chord sounded like with out playing it, and training my ear would help me do this easier.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:31 AM