Teaching Guitar To Children, learn
Osedmen
Oct 2 2014, 03:11 AM
GMC:er

Hi Guys.

How are you.

I want to know if someone have experience to teach guitar to children between 8 and 14....

I think is more complicated than adults because are more distracted.

If you help me with some points or strategies will great!

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 2 2014, 08:55 AM
Instructor
Hey Oscar - I have about 3 kids here in Bucharest with whom I am working on guitar lessons. They are noisy, impatient and their attention is a very difficult thing to keep in only one place laugh.gif

With kids, everything has to be fun at first smile.gif You need to invent stories and to keep their attention lit, in order for them to learn. They learn differently then adults and I for one am learning how to teach them, as well. But, in order to reach them, you need to understand how to think like them smile.gif And.. be patient biggrin.gif

As an example, I always try to divide info in very small pieces and maybe create a little story around the info I want to give them. In that way, it'll be fun to learn and remember wink.gif What is your approach?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mith
Oct 2 2014, 09:37 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Just going to interupt with a joke that is some what fitting

I little kid runs up to his mother and is like
"Mummy Mummy, when I grow up I want to be a muscian"
The mother looks down to the child and says
"Oh honey, you cannot be a muscian and grow up"

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 2 2014, 10:41 AM
+1 to Cosmin smile.gif

Basically the challenge has to be fun for him/her, like a game so you always have to follow what state his mood will be.

No kids aren't the same but usually an active character of teacher helps them focus better, the like energy around them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Oct 2 2014, 01:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
find something they like, that is easy enough they can learn it quick to catch their attention

+Quote Post
Osedmen
Oct 2 2014, 03:25 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 2 2014, 07:55 AM) *
Hey Oscar - I have about 3 kids here in Bucharest with whom I am working on guitar lessons. They are noisy, impatient and their attention is a very difficult thing to keep in only one place laugh.gif

With kids, everything has to be fun at first smile.gif You need to invent stories and to keep their attention lit, in order for them to learn. They learn differently then adults and I for one am learning how to teach them, as well. But, in order to reach them, you need to understand how to think like them smile.gif And.. be patient biggrin.gif

As an example, I always try to divide info in very small pieces and maybe create a little story around the info I want to give them. In that way, it'll be fun to learn and remember wink.gif What is your approach?

Yeah Cosmin, i need to be patient. Nowadays kids are so distracted thanks to smartphones, tablets, etc... it´s a challenge... the most difficult thing is when their parents ask me... How was the guitar classes with my son? ..... and i answer.... man... at this moment he has lot of activities and the most important think is that he is enjoying ! is the first step....
Ok..
On the other hand... i always start my class to talk about movies... video games (recommended) .... jokes.... to connect with him/her
but this strategy is not for all....
sometimes have kids serious and boring....

Thanks Cosmin ! you are useful as always! smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 2 2014, 09:41 AM) *
+1 to Cosmin smile.gif

Basically the challenge has to be fun for him/her, like a game so you always have to follow what state his mood will be.

No kids aren't the same but usually an active character of teacher helps them focus better, the like energy around them.

Yeah man, i agree with you. Thanks!

QUOTE (Mith @ Oct 2 2014, 08:37 AM) *
Just going to interupt with a joke that is some what fitting

I little kid runs up to his mother and is like
"Mummy Mummy, when I grow up I want to be a muscian"
The mother looks down to the child and says
"Oh honey, you cannot be a muscian and grow up"

lol funny

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Oct 2 2014, 12:16 PM) *
find something they like, that is easy enough they can learn it quick to catch their attention

Yeah, 90 % of kids like videogames.

--------------------
.:: Colombian fingerstyle guitar player ::.

.:: Now available on iTunes - Spotify - Amazon - Deezer - rhapsody and more ! ::.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/lone-spirit/id1057969440

https://open.spotify.com/album/2SALF0jTOJgZD57nl3A4QO

.:: Did you watch my first videoclip? ::.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IClzXkQI8E

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 3 2014, 09:49 AM
Instructor
Exactly! For them, the first step is having fun, because whatever doesn't involve having fun at that age, will immediately be regarded as unpleasant by the little ones. Think about how many friends told you the following story:

'My mom and dad wanted me to play the violin/piano/bagpipes/leaf ... when I was a kid - I hated it!!' What the parents want, is not usually what the kid likes and if the parents are smart enough, they will figure out what their kid is all about as early on as possible and also, they will be able to choose a coach/teacher/professor, whatever you want to name him/her, who CAN teach the kid in a creative and FUN way, so that he will first and foremost cultivate the love for that particular instrument, by associating it with pleasant experiences smile.gif That's how I see it wink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:22 AM