My First Impressions Of My New Ibanez Rg3ex1
Praetorian
May 23 2008, 03:27 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I have had my beautiful quilted maple Ibanez RG3EX1 now for a little while and have formed some intial opinions. It sure is a looker! It kills me to say this though...but I am a little disappointed. I guess in my head it was going to sound tons better than my Pacifica, but in reality it doesn't. I haven't tweaked any settings on it other than tuning it yet, so that may help. The pickups sound a little "blurry" is the best way to describe them. Whether playing with the POD set to a high gain, distortion sound for metal, or on one of the clean settings for a bluesy lesson, they just plain don't sound great. Not like I was hoping. I understand that I didn't buy a $1,500 guitar...but I expected them to sound better than the cheap Pacifica I had! dry.gif

The action was also surprisingly high right out of the box. I haven't tried lowering the strings yet, but that may help with the sound clarity right? Anyhow, that is my first impression at this time. If I can't make it any better than this I think I am going to return it to Guitar Center under that 30 day guarantee and go for something else.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
May 23 2008, 04:28 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Man, sorry to hear your not happy wth it. Do keep in mind that alot goes into tone. Even the best are still searching for it. I don't know alot about Ibanez other than that everybody has one tongue.gif but do know it is a higher quality guitar than the pacifica. smile.gif I would suggest befor returning it to ask a GC rep "who can play" to hook it up to a quality amp and show you what it can do. If at that point you are still not satisfied, then return it. I think you just might be suprised. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
May 23 2008, 08:22 AM
Instructor
if you are not happy with it the best you can do is returning it.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 23 2008, 08:29 AM
Lets go fishing!
The craftmanship of your guitar is most likely awsome, and it sure is a looker - but I think the EMG's might be the culprit here! To my ears they are muddy pickups and I much prefer more traditional types.

If you havent had the guitar long you could send it back for another, In the UK you have something like a 30 day cool of period after buying - not sure if you do where you live but you could ask.

Also the other option is to save up for some better pups, I totally love my Di Marzio PAF Pros, but there are plenty to choose from in the range to suit your tastes.

I would recommened try to get an exchange on your purchase though as its the cheapest and easiest option if your not happy smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
buttmonk
May 23 2008, 08:47 AM
GMC:er
I guess that Ibanez are not known for having great pickups so changing them may get u something. But first I think it would be better to make sure the guitar is setup properly. What is the distance from the strings to the pickups when u are not fretting, for both the brdige and neck pup, and on the low E and high E sides?

Also, it could be something else in ur signal chain, like the pod or the way u amplify the pod.

I have certainly been in the situation where I buy something new thinking that this will magically improve my tone but then u realise that actually alot of the tone is in u and r playing and the way u tweak and setup ur gear and even the room u are playing in.... Having someone else more experienced play thru ur rig may surpirse u...

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
May 23 2008, 08:54 AM
I've heard nothing but negative things about those "Designed by EMG" pickups, so a pickup change should make a difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 23 2008, 08:57 AM
Instructor
you can change the pickups to get more quality sound + good amp i think you will
be more satisfy

+Quote Post
ztevie
May 23 2008, 09:25 AM
First of all, if you've had a guitar for a long time, even if it's a cheap one, you have been getting used to it. So you might be disappointed even if you buy a $3000 guitar, because it takes time to get used to the new one...
Lowering the strings won't give you clarity, but it might give the playability a boost, but if you lower them too much, you will get strings touching frets they're not supposed to, resulting in decreased sustain and bad tone. It's a question of balancing between playability that you like and tone from the guitar. I think it's best to get used to a string height that isn't too low, you will be much more happy with sustain and tone. But of course this is all a matter of taste...
Pickups are easy to change and can be very rewarding. I've changed pickups many times, but trust me, once you start changing pickups you are always looking for new ones, the quest for the perfect tone never stops, cause the perfect tone doesn't exist! biggrin.gif But if you decide to keep the guitar, I think you should change those EMG designed or wahtever it is...

I think you should do as this: Lower the string height to an acceptable level without buzz, tune it, but don't care about intonation right now. Then play the guitar for a few hours unplugged... That's right, unplugged! Then you will get a feel for the guitar, without bad pickups effecting your views about the guitar.
Is the guitar nice to play, and does it have a nice tone and ring in it acoustically? Do you get a feel for the guitar?
If you start to feel that it's actually a nice guitar to play, then set up the guitar excactly as you want it and play some more... I think you will know if you like it or not, but don't keep it if it's only ok or so-so. If you try many guitars you will eventually find one that you know is the one, even in lower price ranges. Pickups can be changed on the guitar, but you can't change guitar on the pickups... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 23 2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys! I have had some friends tell me that I have to get it "setup" since it is a brand new guitar. The paperwork that came with it claim that it is setup from the factory. You think it is worth having a guitar shop re-set it up?

Ztevie - I followed your advice and played with it unplugged for awhile and noticed ANOTHER thing about it that is a problem...I am getting a TON of fret buzz with the low strings!!! How the heck can the action be too high and I am STILL getting fret buzz!!! blink.gif This is getting me angry! I am bringing the guitar to a shop today and see what he can do. Maybe the truss rod is out of whack?

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
skennington
May 23 2008, 02:34 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Prolly needs a little neck relief. and yea, a pro set-up will work wonders. Trying to have one done on my guitar now but timeing is making it impossible.

+Quote Post
Pi38
May 23 2008, 02:34 PM
Sorry to hear that. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 23 2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor
Sorry to hear it man. You have 2 choices - you can return the guitar or replace the pickups.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ztevie
May 23 2008, 05:36 PM
Some people who like low action are willing to accept slight buzz from the wound strings. This is not the case if your action is high. Check your neck: press down the 6th string at 1st AND 20th fret. You should have a small distance(0,2-0,8mm) between the string and 8th fret. If not, truss rod adjustment is needed. If its ok, then it needs a fret job, which you shouldn't accept on a new guitar.
Get it back for a FREE proper setup then test again. Dont do truss rod work yourself, guarantee issues you know!

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 23 2008, 05:41 PM
QUOTE (ztevie @ May 23 2008, 12:36 PM) *
Some people who like low action are willing to accept slight buzz from the wound strings. This is not the case if your action is high. Check your neck: press down the 6th string at 1st AND 20th fret. You should have a small distance(0,2-0,8mm) between the string and 8th fret. If not, truss rod adjustment is needed. If its ok, then it needs a fret job, which you shouldn't accept on a new guitar.
Get it back for a FREE proper setup then test again. Dont do truss rod work yourself, guarantee issues you know!

By 6th you mean the low E right?

This post has been edited by Praetorian: May 23 2008, 05:51 PM

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 23 2008, 05:52 PM
Return it straight away if you aren't happy with it and get a guitar you enjoy playing. I love my Parker Nitefly M even when it is set up badly. When it is set up well it is ideal smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
ztevie
May 23 2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah, 6th is low E.... It really doesn't matter which you string you use though. Just be sure to tune it properly before measuring.
I forgot to mention that if you have very high action now, it should be one hell of a backbow to make it buzz because of this, so I don't really believe in that theory.

--------------------
Gear:
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 23 2008, 09:04 PM
The string height above the pickups is 3/16". Not sure how that translates to millimeters. Am I wrong in thinking that is too high?

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
ztevie
May 23 2008, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 23 2008, 10:04 PM) *
The string height above the pickups is 3/16". Not sure how that translates to millimeters. Am I wrong in thinking that is too high?

THat should be about 5mm, which is ok in most cases. you are fretting last string when measuring this I hope? THis is also one of those "taste" things, some people like the pickups very close for higher output and tighter bass, but noone want them so close so that they cause increased sustain (I guess?)
With active EMG's you can have the string almost touching the pickups. With passives it's another matter because of string pull from the stronger magnets, they need to be further away or your sustain dies. This is anyway nothing that will give you fret buzz, or maybe you didn't mean as this either?

This post has been edited by ztevie: May 23 2008, 09:32 PM

--------------------
Gear:
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 24 2008, 12:01 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Praetorian @ May 23 2008, 04:27 AM) *
I have had my beautiful quilted maple Ibanez RG3EX1 now for a little while and have formed some intial opinions. It sure is a looker! It kills me to say this though...but I am a little disappointed. I guess in my head it was going to sound tons better than my Pacifica, but in reality it doesn't. I haven't tweaked any settings on it other than tuning it yet, so that may help. The pickups sound a little "blurry" is the best way to describe them. Whether playing with the POD set to a high gain, distortion sound for metal, or on one of the clean settings for a bluesy lesson, they just plain don't sound great. Not like I was hoping. I understand that I didn't buy a $1,500 guitar...but I expected them to sound better than the cheap Pacifica I had! dry.gif

The action was also surprisingly high right out of the box. I haven't tried lowering the strings yet, but that may help with the sound clarity right? Anyhow, that is my first impression at this time. If I can't make it any better than this I think I am going to return it to Guitar Center under that 30 day guarantee and go for something else.

I've tried a model that is somewhat identical to this one with the same pickups, and i thought it sounded great (thats why i mentioned it in the other thread). Have you tried alterering the tones on the pod? like more bass, less mid etc? A little tweaking can make a difference.

The action is rarely set up any good straight out of the box on guitars like this, so thats no suprise.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
May 24 2008, 12:10 AM
QUOTE (Trond Vold @ May 23 2008, 07:01 PM) *
I've tried a model that is somewhat identical to this one with the same pickups, and i thought it sounded great (thats why i mentioned it in the other thread). Have you tried alterering the tones on the pod? like more bass, less mid etc? A little tweaking can make a difference.

The action is rarely set up any good straight out of the box on guitars like this, so thats no suprise.

I'll focus more on the POD settings Trond, thanks for the help! By the way, I'll let you know how the tech does in adjusting the action tomorrow!

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:31 AM