> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Michael Angelo Batio Style, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 2 ] ** [50.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

quadrium
Oct 25 2018, 02:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
Original lesson: Michael Angelo Batio Style by Ben Higgins

I don't have an active subscription atm so i tabbed this awesomeness by ear. I hope i did get it right. Also recorded rhythm and lead parts with seperate tones, didn't like it other way around.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 25 2018, 11:15 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

You did a killer job learning this one from the main video and using your ear!

This lesson is level 10, so it's extremely demanding. You can play most of the parts at tempo, but there is still room to adjust most of them. The riff section has some timing issues in the second half (when the left hand starts dancing from different sides of the fretboard biggrin.gif ).

Your playing during the faster sections is amazing mate, there is room to play the things tighter but these are not easy passages. I would continue playing this one to get more used to all those alternate and sweep picking sections.

I also note some pitch issues when adding fast vibrato, take care of it.

Ok mate, I'm amazed of your hard work and progress, congrats!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 28 2018, 08:37 PM
GMC:er
WOW. You have made AMAZING progress since way back when we were doing short collabs in the forums and i was re recording some of your rythm passages as you were still learning how to play rythm. I see that it's no longer a problem for you to play anything!! You have obviously spent serious time in the woodshed practicing your brains out!!! This is NOT an easy bit. In fact it's one of the hardest ones available. It demands tremendous technique and dexterity to even attempt it. You not only attempt it, you flat out KILLED IT!!! Nice.Of course, there are always a few bits that could use a bit more polish, but just making it all the way through this crazy piece without your hands just failing/falling apart, is impressive. You are in control the entire time and it's fun to listen to listen to.

I'm sorry to hear you don't have an active subscription anymore and i hope you re join the GMC family!!!! You did a very fine job on this and I look forward to seeing what you do next!!!
Todd

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 29 2018, 07:59 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome to see you rocking mate, it is very clear the devotion you put into your practicing.

The picking runs here are special as they feature great staccato coming from both directions (up and down) in a three note per string run. This requires a very special technique sometimes referred to as "two way pick slanting". Check out Paul Gilbert and Batio for these runs.

I am not a big fan of this technique is it requires you to tense your whole right arm up - and it is very hard to use for improvising. It does however give you a very well defined picking tone.

Your right hand is very relaxed and is not emphasising the upstrokes in the same way - and your runs have a much more legato sounding flow then Ben's. If you want to achieve 100% alternate picking here you need to rethink your picking technique, at least for this specific lesson. This also what makes this lesson so difficult.

As pointed out in your previous REC, you need to work on your vibrato. My picking related comment above does not have much negative impact on my ears (it is just a different feel) - however your vibrato needs more work to become musical.

As commented above you also have some timing and hand sync issues, ie around ~00:20.

You get a 6 from me. Keep up the hard work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 29 2018, 11:24 AM
Instructor
Hey there!

Besides the fact that this isa hard lesson and you seem to handle fast tempo quite well, you have some issues while playing medium tempo stuff. Through most of the take I have w feeling there's a problem with timing. There are notes that feels in front of the beat and moment when you literaly delay a full rhyhtm value late (like next 16th note) especially visible in the first, rhythm part, at the spot when you play with reversed hand. That part definitely requires much more practise comparing to rest of the take.

Same as timing I experince constant intonation issues along the take. From my observation most of them are probably guitar intonation thing but some are definitely caused by fretting hand. In thin take you overdo the vibrato. When doing vry fast vibration you need to be carefull with it's depth. It's easy to just push the note out of tune and then vibrate it. That's the feeling in this take. When you want to have deep vibrato, try to decrease the speed. If you want to have speed vibrato, try to decrease the depth. There's always an edge below which it doesn't sound cool anymore, but overdone.

Try to compare your picking direction and Ben's. You make some unreasonable pickign direction assignemtns that are unnatural to hand "flow". 00:04 is a repeatable expamle. See original lesson and you'll notice how "easy and natural" Ben's hand looks while playing this run.

Notice that fact that Ben is playing on the bridge pickup. He uses specific kind of distoriton and that is why you can feel he sound a little blurry like on the neck pickup but it definitely should be bridge position. Palm muting sounds weak on neck pickup and you may have problems pulling out the pinch harmonic that should be in the "reversed hand" part of the riff

This is a very difficult stuff. I think you're on a good track but beging fully honest there's lot of work to be done so anybody coulod aprove this solo for and studio album.....for example. You challenged it and already did some good and hard work, but this one demands much more.

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 30 2018, 12:03 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:24 AM