Trying To Get Back Into It...been Away For Awhile
Praetorian
Dec 16 2009, 01:09 AM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
Hi guys,

I haven't been around here much lately...and truth be told, I haven't been playing my guitar much either. I am getting back in the swing of things after losing one of my best friends at work last month. For those who don't know me well, I'm a New York State Trooper. On November 5th, my fellow Trooper and great friend Dave Lane was killed in the line of duty. He was 30 years old. We worked together everyday, and he was like a brother to me. It's been a tough month. I've been a Trooper for 11 years, and Dave is the 6th friend I've lost in the line of duty. 6 friends in 11 years is too many. Dave was the 4th Trooper in the last 10 years that we've lost at my station. I really started questioning whether or not the job was worth the cost. It was tough to put on a kevlar vest and get back out there. We are all getting through it with each others help and getting back to our normal lives now. I have been playing again and it feels great to pick the guitar up again. Not even sure why I'm even telling everyone this since I've never met any of you...but it feels good to talk about it. He was a great Trooper and I loved him like a brother.

Rest In Peace bro
Tpr. David Lane
Shield 4705

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Praetorian: Dec 16 2009, 02:08 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Marc_Maiden
Dec 16 2009, 01:34 AM
GMC:er
prayers for you and his family

this is the time where music comes in handy the most...

play your problems away man!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
skennington
Dec 16 2009, 01:54 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
So sorry to hear this Ben. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, you and yours as well. This kind of thing is senseless and I aplaud you for getting up every day and strapping on the vest to go into battle for us.

Nothing chaps my ass more than to hear something like this. A friggin criminal that taxpayers will end up supporting...Awe, i could go on and on...

Again, sorry for your loss man, keep your head up and I'm glad to hear you are playing again. Music truly does sooth the soul..

/Steve

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 16 2009, 01:57 AM
Instructor
Man that is sad news indeed sad.gif I hope the grief will diminish quickly with time, and may the good memory of your friend and other brave people that gave their lives remain.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Dec 16 2009, 02:06 AM
Thanks guys. Looking forward to spending more time here again.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
intemperateContr...
Dec 16 2009, 02:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
New York is a tough state. Man, I'm sorry. We all in this country have the right to protect ourselves, but you guys put yourselves out
to protect those who can not do it for themselves, and to mediate those who are more capable. What anger you must feel. What sorrow.
What a sense of bondage, and duty, and strength! And this is why you are able to continue! The military taught me a little...
Rock on, man! smile.gif

This post has been edited by skennington: Dec 16 2009, 02:21 AM

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Dec 16 2009, 02:10 AM
QUOTE (intemperateControl @ Dec 15 2009, 08:07 PM) *
New York is a tough state. Man, I'm sorry. We all in this country have the right to protect ourselves, but you guys put yourselves out
to protect those who can not do it for themselves, and to mediate those who are more capable. What anger you must feel. What sorrow.
What a sense of bondage, and duty, and strength! And this is why you are able to continue! The military taught me a little...
Rock on, man! smile.gif

Thanks bud...for the kind words and for your service as well. There were a couple of Texas officers that made the trip to NY for Dave's funeral - very impressive support to make that long trip!

This post has been edited by skennington: Dec 16 2009, 02:22 AM

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
purple hayes
Dec 16 2009, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Guitar Hero
Sorry for your loss Ben.

--------------------
My guitar bits on YouTube: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/duathlon70</a>

+Quote Post
sted
Dec 16 2009, 08:52 PM
Learning Rock Star
sorry to hear that man, that sure is a lot of friends to lose in a short time, you guys are the salt of the earth, my respect to you and your colleagues and my sympathy for your friend.

+Quote Post
Rik Veldhuizen
Dec 16 2009, 09:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
Really sorry to hear that. Over time, I hope you will find some comfort in playing or listening to music.

Did you also share with him your passion of music?

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 16 2009, 09:31 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Sorry Ben for your loss Ben sad.gif

Glad you are playing again though smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 17 2009, 04:33 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Ben, it's guys like you that make it possible for the rest if us to get on with life and enjoy ourselves, and mostly we don't give a thought to what might happen if you weren't around. Last night I was on your turf and had a great night out, no worries, no issues.

I have nothing but the deepest respect for the job you and your colleagues do, you make it safe for the rest of us.

I am sorry for your loss, and David's family - you have my deepest condolences. I hope that playing guitar helps with this, and I am glad that you shared with your extended GMC family - we're all here for you!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Dec 17 2009, 10:06 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 16 2009, 10:33 PM) *
Ben, it's guys like you that make it possible for the rest if us to get on with life and enjoy ourselves, and mostly we don't give a thought to what might happen if you weren't around. Last night I was on your turf and had a great night out, no worries, no issues.

I have nothing but the deepest respect for the job you and your colleagues do, you make it safe for the rest of us.

I am sorry for your loss, and David's family - you have my deepest condolences. I hope that playing guitar helps with this, and I am glad that you shared with your extended GMC family - we're all here for you!

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate it.

--------------------
Ben

Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
MickeM
Dec 17 2009, 10:13 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Sorry to hear sad.gif

Thanks to yoursef and all others in duty putting yourselves at risk for us.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 18 2009, 04:59 PM
GMC:er
Damn, sorry to hear about that Ben, my thoughts go out to you and your family, your colleagues at work and especially Dave's family.

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:05 PM