4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Monkeydathos Bootcamp, Hamburger Hill Will Look Like A Vacation By Comparison!
Todd Simpson
May 17 2012, 05:38 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2012, 09:38 PM
Soldier you are on a MISSION! smile.gif Actually several MISSIONS. As you complete one mission/lesson, start on the next! So Do one Lesson/Mission at at time, making a video example for each workout in a given lesson. If there are four examples, then you have to master all four and make videos so it gets CRAZY hard later on. For now, there are mostly one example per lesson. So start on your next!

All of the lessons/Missions are listed at the bottom of this page in the wiki! Get Moving Solider!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...-_Shred_Journey

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
May 29 2012, 01:32 AM
Hey Big Boss Todd, sorry i have been busy with exams and stuff, but i am finally free, been practicing MISSON #1 on the little free time i can find and i noticed some improvement on my picking!! biggrin.gif, i shall post a video in a few days.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2012, 02:37 AM
To ensure smoother reaction time on the part of your Drill Instructor (me), be sure to shoot me a PM whenever you complete a mission so that I know to check your THREAD OF DEATH for new Mission! Looking forward to seeing it!

Todd

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 2 2016, 12:12 PM
Sir, coordinates for mission 1 were unclear, ended up wandering for years in a random asian jungle. tongue.gif

I have no way to video tape myself atm. But i can record audio, hope you don't mind.

I am using my faithful Epiphone Sg, Guitar Rig and Jazz III Petrucci sig. I also play in the classical position with a guitar footstool - just in case your wondering -

My current goal is probably 6 notes per beat at 130 bpm.

Anyways.

MISSION 1 REPORT

https://soundcloud.com/renato-santos-658226572/todd-mission-2-and-4-pb-160bpm/s-Mcudd
2 and 4 notes per beat at 160bpm.

https://soundcloud.com/renato-santos-658226572/todd-mission-3-and-6-np-110bpm/s-8vaUO

3 and 6 notes pet beat at 110 bpm ( Not gonna lie, its a bit out of my comfort area here )

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2016, 01:14 PM
Congrats on getting the Mission fought Soldier!!! Do you have a cell phone? Nearly every cell phone has a camera. That is a perfect way to record yourself smile.gif The audio quality is beside the point. I really need to see you play if at all possible so I can give you some tips on how you are playing the MISSION. For now, we will work with what we have smile.gif Just glad you actually started. Some folks never do, some folks just up and quit, and never get much better, please don't be one of those!

Onward!

Let's debrief...

MEDALS OF HONOR

Welcome to a very Elite group Soldier!! You are off to a great start!

1.)Maintained splendid palm mute / right hand control.(one tip to follow)
2.)Maintained tight and precise picking. (well done there)
3.)Maintained control of each strike and it's timing.

Very well played. Your left and right hand synchronization is quite good. Not being able to see how you are playing, I'm unable to offer any advice on exactly what you might change. But for now, ...

YOU JUST LEVELED UP!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 2 2016, 07:12 AM) *
Sir, coordinates for mission 1 were unclear, ended up wandering for years in a random asian jungle. tongue.gif

I have no way to video tape myself atm. But i can record audio, hope you don't mind.

I am using my faithful Epiphone Sg, Guitar Rig and Jazz III Petrucci sig. I also play in the classical position with a guitar footstool - just in case your wondering -

My current goal is probably 6 notes per beat at 130 bpm.

Anyways.

MISSION 1 REPORT

https://soundcloud.com/renato-santos-658226572/todd-mission-2-and-4-pb-160bpm/s-Mcudd
2 and 4 notes per beat at 160bpm.

https://soundcloud.com/renato-santos-658226572/todd-mission-3-and-6-np-110bpm/s-8vaUO

3 and 6 notes pet beat at 110 bpm ( Not gonna lie, its a bit out of my comfort area here )

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 2 2016, 01:19 PM
I am using an Asus, it does have an webcam.
But i cant the find the drivers or software related to it (installed). Let dig some and i will re upload with video.

And no i don't use Cell phone, never did. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 2 2016, 01:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 2 2016, 01:49 PM
Ok Sarge, how would i go around, if i wanted to sync video and guitar rig.. i am completely noob when it comes to this stuff.

Because other wise it sounds like farts tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 2 2016, 11:09 PM
The video you posted is "PRIVATE" so I can't see it sad.gif But if you change it to "UNLISTED" then I can see it and only folks you send the link to can see it so it's not public. I'd like to see it smile.gif

Synching audio and video can be simple. If you are using a cell phone to record the entire thing, just turn up your computer speakers enough to let the microphone on the phone pick up the sound, then hit record video on the cell phone. The resulting vid will come out already synched and ready to go. Or at least it should. The quality of the audio is plenty fine using the mic on the phone. Also, it's the most simple and direct way to record vids as it's one single step.

Given that you are just starting out, I'd say this is the best way to proceed for the moment smile.gif

Once you get a bit further down the road, you can record your audio and vid separately and synch them up in a video editing program. Some folks like Sony Vegas, or Adobe Premiere. Some folks make do with Windows Movie Maker. Whatever you use, just make sure you do a "synch pop" just clap your hands on camera, it will give you a visual to reference and in your video editing program, you can see the audio wave form make a spike where you clapped. Line those up and bam, synch!

Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 2 2016, 08:49 AM) *
Ok Sarge, how would i go around, if i wanted to sync video and guitar rig.. i am completely noob when it comes to this stuff.

Because other wise it sounds like farts tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 2 2016, 11:11 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 3 2016, 10:35 AM
There. Changed the settings, I am still pretty green with this kind of stuff.

I do have Sony Vegas, I wil try and mess around with the clapping as you said, and hope not to fail miserably.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 3 2016, 04:55 PM
Ii am a few bpm up my hill, but here is mission 1 re-take, this time i tried to that clapping trick u told. I think it's still slighty off the audio and video! though. Gotto practice.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 3 2016, 04:55 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 5 2016, 03:12 AM
Some very fine playing here smile.gif Far and above what is needed for the first badge. I need to point out though that what you are playing is a slight modification of the actual tablature which is just two simple notes instead of four if memory serves smile.gif I like yours better though, I may have to change what's there smile.gif

The Synch seems more than fine to me. One thing I notice is that even though you seem spot on with your timing I can't hear your metronome. Usually that's pretty important at first, so that I can tell that you are playing along with the beat. Are you recording with your cell phone? If you have a pair of any speakers of any kind or a blue tooth speaker, or even running out from the headphone jack to a guitar amp on a clean channel, anything, so that I can hear the click, metronome, etc, it would be good smile.gif

You are more than ready for the next Mission Soldier!!

Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 3 2016, 11:55 AM) *
Ii am a few bpm up my hill, but here is mission 1 re-take, this time i tried to that clapping trick u told. I think it's still slighty off the audio and video! though. Gotto practice.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 5 2016, 04:21 AM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 9 2016, 04:17 PM
Sorry Todd was recovering from a bad indigestion plus Winter has finally arrived! Wasn't feeling in my best shape.

So Mission 2 at 130 bpm
For some reason my webcam just went back to the stone age. It used to work with 30ish fps. Dunno what happened.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 10 2016, 12:49 PM
The MISSION 2 vid is more than plenty for me to see what is going on and you are playing very well!!! Similar another Soldier, you make it looks easy!! Almost too easy!! To wit, I'm going to place you on Detached Duty in BLACK OPS and have you do a MULTI PICKING version of this lick. It's on a single string so string traverse should not be an issue. I'd like to see a DOUBLE PICK version of this lick. This just means, pick every note, twice, that's all smile.gif Your Mission 1 is more than plenty for getting you on the ORDER OF BATTLE and your second version is even better!! Congrats on getting in to Video Editing as well!!!!

So once more in to the Breach Soldier!!!! Another chance to work on your vid synch/editing skills and a chance to hit double picking early on in the rotation.

Sarge

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 9 2016, 11:17 AM) *
Sorry Todd was recovering from a bad indigestion plus Winter has finally arrived! Wasn't feeling in my best shape.

So Mission 2 at 130 bpm
For some reason my webcam just went back to the stone age. It used to work with 30ish fps. Dunno what happened.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 16 2017, 02:32 PM
Hi Tod, Sorry for the low activity. I've been focusing in other aspects of my guitar playing atm plus my interface is in need of repairing.

Still I would love to have your insight on something.

I was practising Technical Difficulties Intro. And I can tackle the whole beast at a relaxed 105 bpm atm (original speed being 130).
But there is this part! Which you might find suprising that find it the most difficult of all the gilbertian runs that are going on.

How would you do that passage between the 10 note on the A string and the 10 note on the D string?
Because, right now if I get one clean, the other gets pretty dead.

Thx for your time!

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jan 16 2017, 02:33 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  TechDif_Small_lick.gp5 ( 1.73K ) Number of downloads: 195

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2017, 05:55 AM
I'd suggest sitting in classical position, using a very stiff, pointy, pick and playing the bit in question as slowly as needed to make it sound smooth. There are bits in solos that will get you hung up. Just isolate and loop that spot with a metronome or a clip of the song and play it as slow as you need to keep it clean then speed up bit by bit. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 16 2017, 09:32 AM) *
Hi Tod, Sorry for the low activity. I've been focusing in other aspects of my guitar playing atm plus my interface is in need of repairing.

Still I would love to have your insight on something.

I was practising Technical Difficulties Intro. And I can tackle the whole beast at a relaxed 105 bpm atm (original speed being 130).
But there is this part! Which you might find suprising that find it the most difficult of all the gilbertian runs that are going on.

How would you do that passage between the 10 note on the A string and the 10 note on the D string?
Because, right now if I get one clean, the other gets pretty dead.

Thx for your time!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
May 26 2017, 07:15 PM
Hi Todd,
So got some free time to dedicate to the fine arts of burning strings.

I've been working in 6 notes per beat (Sorry the lack of proper terminology, that's what I called it in an everyday basis).
To be honest, I am kinda stuck in terms of progress. I started at November 2016 at around 70 bpm. But for the past 2 months I can't seem to break the barrier.

And it's not that I have this mindset, Oh, it's impossible. I can grasp the goal around my hand, but can't really grab it.

Here's some videos at 80, 100, 110, 120(pretty sloppy), 130(pretty pretty sloppy).
Sorry about the sound quality, my interface is in need of soldering.

Do you see any major "flaws" that might have missed my novice eyes.
What do you think it's the best way to me to improve? Should I just keep grinding?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 26 2017, 09:28 PM
Well played soldier! All of these are very fine warm up licks and your technique is solid all around. I'd suggest plowing through the next few mission and trying to reach about level 50. It's at that point you can look back and see pretty massive gains. You have a good start, just keep going!

Sarge

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jul 18 2017, 07:30 PM
LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings

So changing string with inside picking it probably one of the hardest aspect of alternate picking for me.

And an over optimistic one

One of the main issues I've come to notice, is my left hand over tensing and accumulating tension over time, specially in the lower frets.
I am still trying to work out on that. Trying to figure out how to get rid off it, or at least reduce it.

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Jul 18 2017, 07:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 19 2017, 04:33 AM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!! This lesson will really show you if you are having tension issues. Hopefully we can work them out so that the rest of the lessons will seem much easier as will string traverse/alt picking while soloing. Learning to relax the right hand is something that takes a bit of practice. The best way I found to do it, (I had the same tension issues, everyone does, some folks resort to picking from the elbow) was to isolate my right hand entirely. E.G. Take my left hand off the neck entirely and play a given bit as if my left had was there, but just using the right hand and a palm mute. Still traversing strings, just picking open strings or fretting all of them and not moving my left hand. That way, I could focus on keeping my right hand relaxed. Had to start quite slow, well below what I could play, and build up slowly while focusing on not letting the hand tense. After a while it becomes almost an instinct. Something you don't even think about. But it does take time. Especially if you are focusing on the left hand, the right will just start to tense a bit. So always focus a bit on the right hand and keep it just loose enough smile.gif

Let's Debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR
*Traverse! Great job on alt picking while traverse descending strings!
*Muting! Great job on palm muting and not letting any string noise leak through!
*Solid Pace! Also great job on not rushing or dragging. Spot on and in synch the whole way.

In other words, you just

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jul 18 2017, 02:30 PM) *
LESSON #3 - Reversing Patterns /Changing Strings

So changing string with inside picking it probably one of the hardest aspect of alternate picking for me.

And an over optimistic one

One of the main issues I've come to notice, is my left hand over tensing and accumulating tension over time, specially in the lower frets.
I am still trying to work out on that. Trying to figure out how to get rid off it, or at least reduce it.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:16 AM