15 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
I Love Gmc!, Hey.. whats all the comotion here???
Bondy
Mar 20 2008, 04:49 PM
Learning Roadie
Damm i have been out of the loop i did not know half this was said
I have to say though when you start to get a community this size there is gonna be conflicts of sorts it inevitable

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bondy: Mar 20 2008, 04:50 PM

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Mar 20 2008, 05:00 PM
GMC:er
Been reading all of this and thought I'd add my 2 cents. I personally love the site and have no reason to look elsewhere. Better videos? Please... Being self-taught for 15 years prior to GMC, figuring out how to read music, laboring thru boring books, etc... then I find GMC, and wow! It's all here! I've got enough lessons in my bookmarks to last me a lifetime. And with the increasing "quantity" - just more to choose from and learn from, or ignore and wait a day for new lessons. I've got a buddy paying a teacher 60 bucks a week for a year. Haven't seen much improvement. What I've gained in 8 months can't be measured. The insight & knowledge we get from the instructors... for 48 bucks, are you kidding? I'd pay ten times that, but don't tell Kris.

Kizaze

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 20 2008, 05:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Mar 20 2008, 05:00 PM) *
The insight & knowledge we get from the instructors... for 48 bucks, are you kidding? I'd pay ten times that, but don't tell Kris.

Kizaze

laugh.gif laugh.gif Pssst wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 20 2008, 05:54 PM
I've got a few good ideas but I'm a little too scared to say them.

I think there should be an ideas forum in which people can give new ideas for Kris to think about and then once a month maybe 3 people chosen from the community, 3 seniors, 3 instructors and the admin should get together to discuss the ideas and come out with some new things to add to the website that everybody agrees will be beneficial.

I think instructors should get paid for collabs and posts because it is a large effort to do them and most instructors only post useful replies.

I think any instructor who hasn't posted a video in 6 months shouldn't get paid for posts and should be given an inactive instructor status thing.

A few ideas I'd love to see implemented:

1. A rating system for lessons that includes a 0-5 or 0-10 scale would be better for people to rate them and have one box for feedback comments. These should only be viewable by admin (no members or instructors) and should be turned into feedback for the instructors by Kris to improve standard of lessons.

2. Online Metronome that can be used in different time signatures (think www.metronomeonline.com but with different time sigs possible)

Please don't crucify me for these points and try to think about them. I think a lot of people are starting to be unhappy so maybe a look at some things would be useful. I'm not particularly unhappy. I just want to see this place be the best place possible. I'm more than happy with the price here and the value.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 20 2008, 05:55 PM
Instructor
Those are really nice ideas OC. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 20 2008, 05:58 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Maybe its time for me, to post again biggrin.gif I have finally red all of these posts.. and I am really excited how lively discussion was created here smile.gif

My intetntion was to start being sincer.. because thats something, I feel, GMC is lacking.. I read so much posts, that are "tryingtobeniceguy".

I agree on some of lessons with Iluha and IMO its nice to have Prog solo.. but its same as with "In style off".. its nice to record jam-made progressive solo (meh... counterparts?) but I for one would SUPPORT THE IDEA OF MORE SUPPORTIVE TEXTS IN LESSONS. Just from top of my head.. Joe Katadlo and that new one Jazz instructor (sorry I just forgot his name..) lessons are ABSOULUETELY AMAZING and helpful! all the advices that they give.. all theory behind, how to do it, how they thought when making the video.. Now comapre it with our prototype of "plain prog solo lesson".

TO summarize.. I support idea of having more texts in lessons, that would acompany the video. Even more texts (talking) then lessons wouldnt be bad..

Btw. Kris's payment of instructors is just motivation, I dont see anything bad on this.. But I would see something bad on Instructor that would give inapproperiate feedback on collaboration entry.

Maybe it isnt Kris's failure - better to tell it to Mods that you dont have good feeling from that collab and instructors comments... You know what I mean?

Cheers Jakub smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Mar 20 2008, 06:01 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 20 2008, 06:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Mar 20 2008, 05:58 PM) *
But I would see something bad on Instructor that would give inapproperiate feedback on collaboration entry.

Maybe it isnt Kris's failure - better to tell it to Mods that you dont have good feeling from that collab and instructors comments... You know what I mean?

Cheers Jakub

I just can't recall any inappropriate comment on collab from an instructor. unsure.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Jakub Luptovec
Mar 20 2008, 06:05 PM
Learning Tone Guru
Someone said that here in his post.. its not my experience smile.gif This is just argument for someone, who said, that paying collabs is bad.. (dunno who it was, srry smile.gif )

EDIT: To be more specific.. that member felt, that instructor wasnt paying attention to his post, as far as I understood that..

This post has been edited by Jakub Luptovec: Mar 20 2008, 06:06 PM

--------------------
my youtube account with riffs and ideas: https://www.youtube.com/user/Phoenygzus

+Quote Post
Iluha
Mar 20 2008, 06:12 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 20 2008, 06:54 PM) *

I think there should be an ideas forum in which people can give new ideas for Kris to think about and then once a month maybe 3 people chosen from the community, 3 seniors, 3 instructors and the admin should get together to discuss the ideas and come out with some new things to add to the website that everybody agrees will be beneficial.

I think instructors should get paid for collabs and posts because it is a large effort to do them and most instructors only post useful replies.

I think any instructor who hasn't posted a video in 6 months shouldn't get paid for posts and should be given an inactive instructor status thing.

1. A rating system for lessons that includes a 0-5 or 0-10 scale would be better for people to rate them and have one box for feedback comments. These should only be viewable by admin (no members or instructors) and should be turned into feedback for the instructors by Kris to improve standard of lessons.

2. Online Metronome that can be used in different time signatures (think www.metronomeonline.com but with different time sigs possible)

Please don't crucify me for these points and try to think about them. I think a lot of people are starting to be unhappy so maybe a look at some things would be useful. I'm not particularly unhappy. I just want to see this place be the best place possible. I'm more than happy with the price here and the value.

Those are awesome suggestions! I wish I'd thoght of the rating system! smile.gif

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
GMC Founder
WOW lots of cool ideas here! laugh.gif GMC wouldn't be anything without all the excellent feedback and feature suggestions we have got through the years from you!

Something that is a little new to me is that we are now seeing strategical suggestions (comission structure etc) - which is awesome as well! biggrin.gif Hey - you wouldn't believe me if I told you how much we usually pay for that kind of advice! blink.gif

When you suggest a new strategy (as opposed to when suggesting a feature), it would be great if you also let us know your experience in the field. Otherwise it will be a little tricky for us to determine whose strategy to go for.

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Playing collabs is awesome

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Mar 20 2008, 06:17 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 20 2008, 05:12 PM) *
WOW lots of cool ideas here! laugh.gif GMC wouldn't be anything without all the excellent feedback and feature suggetsions we have got through the years from you! biggrin.gif

Something that is a little new to me is that we are now seeing strategical suggestions on how to develop things (comission structure etc) - which is awesome as well! biggrin.gif Hey - you wouldn't believe me if I told you how much we usually pay for that kind of advice! blink.gif

When you suggest a new strategy (as opposed to when suggesting a feature), it would be great if you also let us know your experience in the field. Otherwise it will be a little tricky for us to determine whose strategy to go for.

Hey Kris. You'll find lots of valuable ideas in here on payment of instructors, additions to the site and many other aspects and I think it's great as it shows people's enthusiasm in the site smile.gif Maybe we could get an ideas subforum in the guitar master class main forum?

My background is in project management and systems engineering so I have to know about the business side of things and have done courses in business studies and made money selling lemonade out on the street biggrin.gif The last part may not be relevant biggrin.gif I think this is real encouragement that people want GMC to become even greater than it is now and it's easy to do. I think my idea of maybe a mini committee made up of admin, some instructors, some seniors and some general members is a great idea to get everyones ideas across smile.gif Nothing over the top. Just once a month for 30 mins max as to not use up precious practicing time.

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Mar 20 2008, 06:18 PM

--------------------
Gear

+Quote Post
Pi38
Mar 20 2008, 06:19 PM
I don't know why people leave GMC, but in my opinion, this is the best guitar website ever. If they wanna leave and not learn to play at their full potential, so be it.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 20 2008, 06:51 PM
YOu might be able to split up a rating system into a couple categories so it could further give instructors feedback on what parts they need to beef up in their lessons. It could be an extraordinary piece with horrid tech support. I mean if you just outline what techniques it uses then not go into how they are used (if it's not obvious) then it does little good. You could even make it random who it selects while viewing the lessons to leave feedback to reduce the chance of gaming it if you decided to move to a compensation curve that was ultimately determined by feedback.

Back to my point about lessons for "In the Style Of". Toni, for instance, has great lessons off the top of my head because he really does capture the sound, does a good job of explaining WHY whatever technique is used and what it's applications typically are (building tension, etc) so when i finish learning a song I can actually make my own whatever style sounding riffs as well. Same with I think it was Joe's Gus G style lesson. Not saying that it's limited to that, but those are 2 lessons I can remember looking at in the past week and really walking away with an understanding of what makes that type of music that way. Sometimes it's just a slowed down version of whatever it is they are playing and really there's no real benefit to even having the videos, you could do the same thing in guitar pro and unless you already have an amazingly musical mind, you might not come away with anything.

My $.02.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 20 2008, 08:56 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Jakub Luptovec @ Mar 20 2008, 06:05 PM) *
Someone said that here in his post.. its not my experience smile.gif This is just argument for someone, who said, that paying collabs is bad.. (dunno who it was, srry smile.gif )

EDIT: To be more specific.. that member felt, that instructor wasnt paying attention to his post, as far as I understood that..

If that was the case that member could bring the issue to the boss' attention, Kris.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 20 2008, 09:02 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 20 2008, 05:54 PM) *

Good ideas OC smile.gif

+Quote Post
superize
Mar 20 2008, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Mar 20 2008, 05:54 PM) *

those are some great sugestions

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
RobM
Mar 20 2008, 09:23 PM
QUOTE (Iluha @ Mar 20 2008, 10:11 AM) *
I am going to be completly honest here.. and everything I say is my opinion only.

The reason I pay for this site is for the potential of it.. I don't pay to watch the lessons because ussually I don't even watch any videos except for the main ones, I pay because I see it as an investment in a site I truly bealive can become really great and even revolutionary!

But lately, the site has taken turn to the wrong side, sometimes it feels to me that the hiring of instructors is focused more on quantity rather than on quality, and I won't go into that matter as I'm sure alot of you will agree with me on this, other than that there's the whole Senior thing, which I feel is making unnecessary ranks on the site, causing people to be more "helpful" and more active on the boards, wich ultimatly just causes alot of useless repeating posts.

Also I didn't know about this until yesterday, but some of the things the instructors are getting paid for are absurd, 5$ per 100 posts, and the payment for collabs, those two things shouldn't be paid for, they need to come from the thoughts of the instructors, knowing they get paid for it makes me feel they are not doing it seriously but only for the money they recieve from it!

There's other things as well, but I won't go into it.

Again, this is only my opinion, and don't mean to offend anyone..

THANK YOU! For the longest time I thought I was the only one who thought the senior thing was wrong and that all some of the seniors seem to do is gang up on a member when they speak out about a part of GMC. God know's I've felt the wrath of them coming down on me when I in the past decided to speak out against some part of GMC. Then again there is a couple of them TonyMiro, MikeM that really do a great job with the title and are level headed enough to speak out in a thread but not to the degree where the OP feels smothered or even insulted.

I understand what Kris is going thru right now, his business is growing in leaps and bounds, he's succesful, he has money pouring in really fast and he's kind of light headed by all of it. Great, good job! Now he has to really be careful and make all of the correct decisions as there is a penalty for making the wrong one.(you lose member and/or instructors)

Time to go out and seek professional help. Hire a lawyer that specializes in internet buisness to make sure your back side is covered when it comes to your money makers (instructors) and your memberships and get some good liability insurance etc.. Lots of things to worry about when running a computer based business especially one that caters to people of all ages.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
javari
Mar 20 2008, 09:40 PM
Growing fast has its dangers.
Companies can go bust when growing to fast. It's difficult to scale your organisation with the growth of your members.
And, if more people become a member of GMC, it will be more difficult to keep everyone satisfied.

Personally, I'don't have any problems with GMC.
I think it's great.
But of course there is always room for improvement.

I do like the suggestion of having more text with lessons, maybe a little background or applied theory.

And..., maybe Kris should do some lessons again.
After all, it was his enthousiasm and lessons that got a lot of us becomming a member of GMC in the first place.

--------------------
Guitars: Fender US standard Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Amps: Fender Princeton Recording Amp, H&K Statesman Dual EL84
Effects: Pod XT, Keeley TS808, Keeley DS-1, RAT

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Mar 20 2008, 09:42 PM
I agree with alot that has been said.. but the comments about getting rid of seniors i don't like so much.. the people who have been given senior status have earned it. They've been loyal to GMC and have contributed a great deal to building the site and i think they should be recognized. I have never heard of seniors attacking people who have suggestions for GMC. I think seniorship is something everyone should aim for. Kris is doing a great job running the site too and there are always bumps in the road.. the idea is to look back and see what youve over come not smooth the bumps youve already gone over to make it look like it was a breeze smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:36 AM