Release Date Fail, Know of any cases?
thefireball
Sep 2 2012, 01:42 AM
Learning Roadie
Just had this random thought. What if something happened that prevented a music artist from delivering their new album to the public on the announced date? Know of any cases of this happening? And what was the outcome?

Or, if it ever happened, how do you think the situation would be handled?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Sep 2 2012, 01:57 AM
GMC:er
Most would buffer the date and not be set in concrete (for example: Q4 2012, where Q1, Q2, Q3, and Q4 are the quarters of the year) so they would have plenty of time to finish it and they would just be tweaking to perfection.

However, if a company does fail a release date, before that original date comes up it would get a delay date set. All the fans start to get a bit annoyed but most will wait if it's worth the wait.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 2 2012, 03:19 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Wintersuns "Time" got delayed for 7 years, just recently released and broken into two albums. Necrophagist is also infamous for majorly delayed albums. There on the 4-5 year mark I believe. So as long as you dont beat Jari Maenpaa and Wintersun you're good.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 2 2012, 04:52 AM
Got a giggle on this one smile.gif It' happens ALL THE TIME. For various reasons. Usually, as soon as a lable can plan and release/promote a new cd/download etc. They put it on the books and go for it. It's a lot of variables to coordinate. Everything from Legal battles to drug overdose, to Divorce, can get in the way.

Somtimes, bands break up before their record comes out or right afterwards. My buddy Matt (indieatl.com) just finsihed the music video for a band and the lable loved it! The he gets and email from the band saying they broke up. Before they even told the lable. Happens all the time.

QUOTE (thefireball @ Sep 1 2012, 08:42 PM) *
Just had this random thought. What if something happened that prevented a music artist from delivering their new album to the public on the announced date? Know of any cases of this happening? And what was the outcome?

Or, if it ever happened, how do you think the situation would be handled?

+Quote Post
wollace03
Sep 2 2012, 07:22 AM
if you wanna hear all reasons why an album is delayed then you should follow the stories about the release of "chinese democracy" by guns n´roses..............there you will find it all dry.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 2 2012, 09:20 AM
Instructor
I could be wrong but I think Fireball means it more literally rather than the release date being pushed back again and again. Pretend the release date is 23rd Jan for example. 23rd Jan arrives but for some reason no albums have been delivered to stores and it's not available everywhere. I think that's what you meant isn't it ?

The day comes and people are expected it to be available to buy but no album... huh.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Sep 2 2012, 09:23 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Sep 2 2012, 02:19 AM) *
Wintersuns "Time" got delayed for 7 years, just recently released and broken into two albums. Necrophagist is also infamous for majorly delayed albums. There on the 4-5 year mark I believe. So as long as you dont beat Jari Maenpaa and Wintersun you're good.

Isn't Time1 scheduled for October 12 ?? Is it different for the US and Europe ??

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 2 2012, 11:32 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
As Todd says it happens a lot.

There are a lot of different stages and people involved in a commercial release and things happen. Some are foreseeable and are down to weak production management
, some no one can foresee. If it's the former then the producer needs to learn from the situation.

I'm towards the end of the chain and I'm very used to producers schedulling a session date for mastering and delivering it much later. Sometimes the delay occurs due to an over run needed for recording/mixing. sometimes it's personal issues, sometimes something completely different. Even then I might have to send it back for revision at mixing or even recording, which adds even more delay. What happens largely depends on how important the release date is.

We recently mastered an lp that was 2 years behind the original booked session for lots of reasons. During the 2 years the band had changed members and changed name. Band/producer/label weren't worried by the delay.

We've also had Christmas CDAs sent for mastering on December 20th. Not a chance of that CDA making the shops pre XMas as after us it still needs to be replicated, packaged and distributed etc. Because the CDA has a very short shelf life (ie it is a Christmas CDA) someone gets a kicking from the label.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 2 2012, 12:40 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Sep 2 2012, 04:23 AM) *
Isn't Time1 scheduled for October 12 ?? Is it different for the US and Europe ??

Yeah I meant say to recently announced tongue.gif

My bad, Jari also said that Time II is completely recorded but he will need 3-4 months to mix it after touring.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 3 2012, 08:10 AM
Instructor
The Aria EP was initially scheduled for April this year - BUT Cezar is a maniac perfectionist and he refused to allow the material to be released when he had some doubts regarding parts of the songs and so, April has passed. If I wouldn't have been constantly pressing him, we would probably release the material in 2 years from now laugh.gif

This is a common encountered issue among perfectionists - not releasing something until it's not perfect - which is not ever going to happen, because as time passes, you grow bored of some ideas and they suddenly start not to sound so enticing anymore. BEWARE of this syndrome laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:03 PM