Questions About String Gauge
AlexLion
Nov 27 2008, 09:57 AM
GMC:er
Since nobody answering to me in general forum i decided to "move" my questions here, because i feel that Lian can help me with them rolleyes.gif Want to ask how will 10-52 string gauge will sound on normal tuning (Eb too)?if they quite normal i`ll stay with them, because string switching on my Jackson is kinda pain in the ***. And which strings will be good for that gauge? I`m currently using GHS, but they are 10-46 and i want to try something different. Maybe D`addario will be good?smile.gif But i don`t need "bright" sounding biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 27 2008, 10:33 AM
Learning Tone Master
10-52 are strings for people who need sturdy lower strings for Rythm playing like Metal players while the high strings stay the same and you can still solo with them. I use 10-52 for drop d tuning, Eb and d standard. E standard it's a bit tight but still playable.

My choice would be Ernie Ball Strings, they havev the best Rock tone

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Nov 27 2008, 10:58 AM
"10-52 are strings for people who need sturdy lower strings for Rythm playing like Metal players while the high strings stay the same and you can still solo with them." Exactly what i need man! I`ll surely try those Ernie Ball Strings:)
Of course receiving some other advices will be perfect:)

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Nov 27 2008, 11:00 AM

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Nov 27 2008, 11:34 AM
Get to da Chopper!
If you hate changing the strings, then you may consider getting a set of elixir nanowebs (whichever gauge you want)
I can't remember the last time i changed my strings rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Nov 27 2008, 02:45 PM
I had Elixir on my acoustic, and ,hell yeah, those strings had beautiful tone and they very durable, but you don`t understand me a bit. With string changing is no problem, but it surely will be if i will change every few days from existing 10-52 to existing 10-42(as example), if 52 wouldn`t sound great on normal tuning mellow.gif And i don`t need "soft sounding strings" for electric guitar as i mentioned above. And what are you doing in Lian`s forum?! mad.gif Just kidding biggrin.gif

Anyways thank you for any info

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Nov 27 2008, 02:47 PM

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Nov 27 2008, 03:54 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Nov 27 2008, 02:57 AM) *
Since nobody answering to me in general forum i decided to "move" my questions here, because i feel that Lian can help me with them rolleyes.gif Want to ask how will 10-52 string gauge will sound on normal tuning (Eb too)?if they quite normal i`ll stay with them, because string switching on my Jackson is kinda pain in the ***. And which strings will be good for that gauge? I`m currently using GHS, but they are 10-46 and i want to try something different. Maybe D`addario will be good?smile.gif But i don`t need "bright" sounding biggrin.gif

I use the 10 - 52 GHS Boomers. They are called thin and thick in some listings. I find they are great for drop d tuning and in standard tuning. I think the hybrid gauge is very useful for players doing a lot of heavy rhythm work as well as any leads. Personally, I've always played GHS. Erine Ball and D'Addario are also great strings. Seems the GHS's have a little longer life span than the others. If you like the sound of your current GHS's give the thin and thick a try. Here's a link for a description.

http://www.juststrings.com/ghs-gbtnt-np.html

tommyboy

This post has been edited by tommyboy: Nov 27 2008, 04:00 PM

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Nov 27 2008, 04:20 PM
You could always use a hybrid set...

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Nov 27 2008, 05:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 27 2008, 06:33 AM) *
10-52 are strings for people who need sturdy lower strings for Rythm playing like Metal players while the high strings stay the same and you can still solo with them. I use 10-52 for drop d tuning, Eb and d standard. E standard it's a bit tight but still playable.

My choice would be Ernie Ball Strings, they havev the best Rock tone

well, this´s my answer as well. even I use Ernie Ball Strings. my advice: if you can, taste a set of these strings and see what happen. find your own strings take some time. so dont give up wink.gif

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Nov 27 2008, 05:53 PM
QUOTE (Lian Gerbino @ Nov 27 2008, 06:46 PM) *
well, this´s my answer as well. even I use Ernie Ball Strings. my advice: if you can, taste a set of these strings and see what happen. find your own strings take some time. so dont give up wink.gif

Thank you Lian! smile.gif and of course I`m not giving up tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:53 AM