What Are You Practicing?
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 22 2013, 08:20 AM
Instructor
Hey guys smile.gif This is a little general roundup that I decided to encourage you guys to do:

What are you currently practicing and how does your progress feel? Any particular spots that cause problems? Which would those be? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dcz702
Apr 22 2013, 08:29 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 22 2013, 07:20 AM) *
Hey guys smile.gif This is a little general roundup that I decided to encourage you guys to do:

What are you currently practicing and how does your progress feel? Any particular spots that cause problems? Which would those be? smile.gif

i am practicing speed picking and vibrato, both are coming along well with the speed i can visulize it and know what i need to do and can hear it in my head just a matter of traing my hand. it seems when i lose my place while playing fast its harder for me to jump back in, unlike playing simple solos and rhthym im able to come back anywhere in the music. i need to work on clean postion changing on my fret hand. but i know it will come i can see it. Vibrato on the other hand i think i need to feel it more and listen to the sound of the note instead of concentrating so much and the mechanical proccess huh.gif does that make sence mellow.gif i posted a vid in one of my older posts on speed picking

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 22 2013, 09:42 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Im currently trying to tighten up 3 lessons which Im playing at full speed but just not quite 'flawless'.
Got one lesson Im still learning with a couple of quite fast runs which Im trying to get the timing of, quite tough that one.
working on a few solos - 1st comfortably numb solo, the rake at the start and getting the bends to pitch being a bit of a pain.
the solo for paranoid seems to be taking a while to increase the speed, I seem to have been playing it slow for ages!
Ironman solo is going well, I've got that to full speed.
Working on todds shred lessons which is going well, I think Ive made some decent progress with my alt picking.
Thought I'd try the solo for pearl jam's alive. I tried it last year but wasnt able to nail it.

also still attempting to write some riff-tastic songs smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
tonyk
Apr 22 2013, 11:24 AM
GMC:er
Mainly AP exercises.Practising soloing over progressions.Trying Bens Lick 8 but really struggling to get good volume even at slow tempo.Maybe these type of legato runs is for another lifetime.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 22 2013, 12:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
I was trying to get Gabe's marty mustaine lesson ready for my 5th anniversary at GMC-hit a speed wall at about 90%
so I learned Higgin's running around lesson, I can play this , but needs alot of cleaning up
and in between these I learned the solo to "seventeen"winger

+Quote Post
BTrian
Apr 23 2013, 02:33 AM
Learning Roadie
I was asked to play some acoustic solo stuff in my home town in 2 weeks.
The current plan is to do Rylynn (Andy McKee), Phunkdified (Justin King) and Night Ride (Preston Reed).
still need to get the final bit of the last one and get the rest as clean as possible.

I also really need to get my hands back on my Schecter and do some REC here before I forget how to use a pick smile.gif

This post has been edited by BTrian: Apr 23 2013, 02:33 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2013, 10:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Apr 22 2013, 07:29 AM) *
i am practicing speed picking and vibrato, both are coming along well with the speed i can visulize it and know what i need to do and can hear it in my head just a matter of traing my hand. it seems when i lose my place while playing fast its harder for me to jump back in, unlike playing simple solos and rhthym im able to come back anywhere in the music. i need to work on clean postion changing on my fret hand. but i know it will come i can see it. Vibrato on the other hand i think i need to feel it more and listen to the sound of the note instead of concentrating so much and the mechanical proccess huh.gif does that make sence mellow.gif i posted a vid in one of my older posts on speed picking

Mate, once you get a hold of each rhythmic subdivision and you can change them at will, alongside spotting them in a musical context, it will be much easier for you to pick them as well.

Regarding vibrato - it is indeed a matter of the ear smile.gif and time will solve this if you persevere, of that I am certain!

QUOTE (BTrian @ Apr 23 2013, 01:33 AM) *
The current plan is to do Rylynn (Andy McKee), Phunkdified (Justin King) and Night Ride (Preston Reed).
still need to get the final bit of the last one and get the rest as clean as possible.

I also really need to get my hands back on my Schecter and do some REC here before I forget how to use a pick smile.gif

Wow - I am really, really looking forward to seeing you play such things in a video, man smile.gif When will you share some with us?

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Apr 22 2013, 11:26 AM) *
I was trying to get Gabe's marty mustaine lesson ready for my 5th anniversary at GMC-hit a speed wall at about 90%
so I learned Higgin's running around lesson, I can play this , but needs alot of cleaning up
and in between these I learned the solo to "seventeen"winger

Sounds like you are busy, mate! Why not record the lessons at their current state and share them with us, so we can see what we can do to help you?

QUOTE (tonyk @ Apr 22 2013, 10:24 AM) *
Mainly AP exercises.Practising soloing over progressions.Trying Bens Lick 8 but really struggling to get good volume even at slow tempo.Maybe these type of legato runs is for another lifetime.

Nah man - it's in the touch and strength of the left hand - I can show you some simple exercises to build strength in a video smile.gif Stay tuned, ok?

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 22 2013, 08:42 AM) *
Im currently trying to tighten up 3 lessons which Im playing at full speed but just not quite 'flawless'.
Got one lesson Im still learning with a couple of quite fast runs which Im trying to get the timing of, quite tough that one.
working on a few solos - 1st comfortably numb solo, the rake at the start and getting the bends to pitch being a bit of a pain.
the solo for paranoid seems to be taking a while to increase the speed, I seem to have been playing it slow for ages!
Ironman solo is going well, I've got that to full speed.
Working on todds shred lessons which is going well, I think Ive made some decent progress with my alt picking.
Thought I'd try the solo for pearl jam's alive. I tried it last year but wasnt able to nail it.

also still attempting to write some riff-tastic songs smile.gif

Hey buddy! great to hear that you are busy with the stuff, so by all means, post recordings in their current state so that we may see what we can do to help you, ok? smile.gif Comfortably numb is a great tune and that solo is anything but easy smile.gif We play it every concert with the orchestra, check it out here:

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 23 2013, 12:23 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 23 2013, 10:12 AM) *

how many guitarists does it take to screw inn a ligth bulb ?
sorry, I couldn't resist

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 23 2013, 01:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonyk @ Apr 22 2013, 10:24 AM) *

Hey mate here ya go:

+Quote Post
gregc1
Apr 23 2013, 03:16 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm currently working on a couple lessons that are just beyond my speed range and I'm also doing pure AP exercises with the metronome. Progress is slow but I have noticed an increase in my picking speed. There are licks I can play now that I couldn't when I started the lessons a while back.

QUOTE (BTrian @ Apr 23 2013, 01:33 AM) *

One of my favorites, I'd love to hear your rendition. I started learning this a while ago but never finished and ended up moving on to something else.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Apr 23 2013, 06:00 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero

I've been practicing this lesson on and off for months.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/greg_howe_techniques/

I have it all memorized and practice through it almost daily. It makes a great warm up exercise too.
I don't have to much problem with the speed of it. The main problem I have is some of the picking strokes are unorthodox for my style. So, when I attempt to record I always have some noticeable unwanted string noises and sloppiness at full speed. Well, its a work in progress.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Apr 23 2013, 10:22 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 23 2013, 10:12 AM) *
Hey buddy! great to hear that you are busy with the stuff, so by all means, post recordings in their current state so that we may see what we can do to help you, ok? smile.gif Comfortably numb is a great tune and that solo is anything but easy smile.gif

thanks dude, I'll fire up a couple of things Ive been working on, I could do with an idea or two smile.gif
Id like to play both comfortably numb solos, the first one is so good to play I can spend ages with it on a loop. Its really easy to learn the notes but like you mentioned not easy at all to get sounding as good as gilmour. he plays it so smooth and awesome rolleyes.gif
I'll need to check in with you on my thread as well and show you some of the stuff Ive been playing.... and make sure im not straying from the path smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 24 2013, 01:06 AM
I need to practice more, I've really just been concentrating on my songs and running through them 2 -3 times each morning and the solos more.

This morning I ran across a video for learning 6 of Vivian Campbell's leads from when he was with Dio and I would really love to do that. But I need to start back on the lessons here, it's easy for my mind to get sidetracked and pursue other things as opposed to the rudimentary skills I really need.

Good question, it sort of knocked me back to reality.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 24 2013, 01:06 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 24 2013, 06:55 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm working on the Pentatonic Patterns 5 positions in Gab's Army

and back working with Todd on my Alt picking.

Even on busy days I'm trying to get into the habit of Alt Picking drills in any downtime (like when I'm waiting for the wife to get ready before going out etc) so I can keep progressing.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 24 2013, 08:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Apr 23 2013, 02:16 PM) *
I'm currently working on a couple lessons that are just beyond my speed range and I'm also doing pure AP exercises with the metronome. Progress is slow but I have noticed an increase in my picking speed. There are licks I can play now that I couldn't when I started the lessons a while back.

One of my favorites, I'd love to hear your rendition. I started learning this a while ago but never finished and ended up moving on to something else.

You are a very good player man! Indeed from a point on you need to work more to see progress, but it will be there!

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Apr 23 2013, 05:00 PM) *
I've been practicing this lesson on and off for months.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/greg_howe_techniques/

I have it all memorized and practice through it almost daily. It makes a great warm up exercise too.
I don't have to much problem with the speed of it. The main problem I have is some of the picking strokes are unorthodox for my style. So, when I attempt to record I always have some noticeable unwanted string noises and sloppiness at full speed. Well, its a work in progress.

Indeed it is! I think that the tone is what sets things apart with this one smile.gif It is clean enough so that in combination with the positions it will show any imperfection. I think patience and focused practice at a slower pace will get you there for certain!

QUOTE (bleez @ Apr 23 2013, 09:22 PM) *
thanks dude, I'll fire up a couple of things Ive been working on, I could do with an idea or two smile.gif
Id like to play both comfortably numb solos, the first one is so good to play I can spend ages with it on a loop. Its really easy to learn the notes but like you mentioned not easy at all to get sounding as good as gilmour. he plays it so smooth and awesome rolleyes.gif
I'll need to check in with you on my thread as well and show you some of the stuff Ive been playing.... and make sure im not straying from the path smile.gif

Indeed man - you know already by now how simple things are actually more difficult to play smile.gif Please do check in when you feel like doing so!

QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 24 2013, 12:06 AM) *
I need to practice more, I've really just been concentrating on my songs and running through them 2 -3 times each morning and the solos more.

This morning I ran across a video for learning 6 of Vivian Campbell's leads from when he was with Dio and I would really love to do that. But I need to start back on the lessons here, it's easy for my mind to get sidetracked and pursue other things as opposed to the rudimentary skills I really need.

Good question, it sort of knocked me back to reality.

Glad to have been of service, Mr. Spock!

Post some vids while you are at it, aye? And how is that tapping part faring? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 24 2013, 05:55 AM) *
I'm working on the Pentatonic Patterns 5 positions in Gab's Army

and back working with Todd on my Alt picking.

Even on busy days I'm trying to get into the habit of Alt Picking drills in any downtime (like when I'm waiting for the wife to get ready before going out etc) so I can keep progressing.

If it is focused practice, it's very good. Just make sure that those short bursts of practice are not done under stress in such a way that your mind is not there with you when you practice, k?

+Quote Post
Spock
Apr 24 2013, 09:37 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 24 2013, 03:07 AM) *
Glad to have been of service, Mr. Spock!

Post some vids while you are at it, aye? And how is that tapping part faring? biggrin.gif

Indeed, I've NEVER played anything through perfectly in my life. I've come to realize that screwing up is not an "if", but an "inevitable", I base how good something I play is on how good my recovery is after each screw-up.

To answer your question, I'm working on Pentatonic Licks – Beginner by Murvis Varajic and Ben's Vibrato Odyssey.

This post has been edited by Spock: Apr 24 2013, 10:27 AM

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Apr 24 2013, 11:31 AM
Mostly working on triads today, been trying to make my use of triads in improvisation a little freer, rather than relying on familiar triadic shapes!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 25 2013, 08:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Apr 24 2013, 08:37 AM) *
Indeed, I've NEVER played anything through perfectly in my life. I've come to realize that screwing up is not an "if", but an "inevitable", I base how good something I play is on how good my recovery is after each screw-up.

To answer your question, I'm working on Pentatonic Licks – Beginner by Murvis Varajic and Ben's Vibrato Odyssey.

Very good man - well, why not a REC take then? You know, the REC takes are very good motivational instruments. You submit a take, you receive advice in how to take it as close to perfection as possible and then, you take care of those details and so on, until you get the best thing possible at that moment.

Don't run away from it man - it's only going to be in your own benefit smile.gif So, what do you say? Have I convinced you?

QUOTE (David.C.Bond @ Apr 24 2013, 10:31 AM) *
Mostly working on triads today, been trying to make my use of triads in improvisation a little freer, rather than relying on familiar triadic shapes!

Hey David, mind sharing some examples with us? I'd be curious to see how you apply these concepts in your playing smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2024 - 12:33 AM