Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Blues Reissue
sted
Mar 24 2009, 08:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
Had a bit of a jam on one of these yesterday and actually quite liked it, loved the old Tweed style coverings, trouble is i couldnt play it on anything more than 2 on the master (because 40w is freakin loud!) and couldnt get it to start breaking up like a nice tube amp should, would an attenuator work with this amp? or would a nice smooth OD pedal give me some dirt at lower volumes.

Thanks guys!!

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
ZakkWylde
Mar 24 2009, 09:00 AM
Learning Tone Master
An overdrive would give you some dirt and an overdriven tone, but the overdrive would be coming from the pedal, not the amp itself... If you want to hear your amps true tone then you need it to break up, attentuator is no problem if the amp has a speaker out so that you can connect the attentuator between amp and speaker...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Mar 24 2009, 12:34 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I have the Fender HotRod Deluxe myself and I cranked it a few times when I was in the rehearsal room with it (normally I only use the amps which are already present there, so I don't have a lot of experience).

From that little experience I can certainly say that the Amp can provide quite a nice crunchy/overdriven sound, however it won't be serious high-gain as with some metal amps. If you plan to use it for clean (love the clean sound), crunchy and something slightly heavier (so blues, rock), I would say it does it job well (but check it out yourself, whether you like it).

If you don't put the volume signficantly higher than 2, don't expect to get a decent crunchy/overdriven sound from this amp. I actually dislike playing at home using the hi-gain channel and am using the Zoom 9..2tt to get a tube distorted sound using the clean channel (which sounds pretty good as the Zoom also has pre-amp tubes).

I did not use an attenuator with it yet, but it should work properly. Since I have the Studio UX2 I normally don't really bother putting on the Amp etc as I have so much good sounds for practicing smile.gif

Hope this helps a bit.

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Jesse
Mar 24 2009, 04:16 PM
GMC:er
Ah. my amp is 60 watt.. cant go over 1.5.. it's annoying:D But I'd get that amp, although Im saving for a marshall. Well, I'd get a tubescreamer ifI were you. Ts-09 or the tS-808:D

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 24 2009, 05:41 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (sted @ Mar 24 2009, 08:02 AM) *
... would an attenuator work with this amp...

If you do get an attenuator make sure it is the correct load for the amp/speakers (ie 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16 ohm). It should say the load on the back panel of the amp.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 24 2009, 06:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (sted @ Mar 24 2009, 08:02 AM) *
Had a bit of a jam on one of these yesterday and actually quite liked it, loved the old Tweed style coverings, trouble is i couldnt play it on anything more than 2 on the master (because 40w is freakin loud!) and couldnt get it to start breaking up like a nice tube amp should, would an attenuator work with this amp? or would a nice smooth OD pedal give me some dirt at lower volumes.

Thanks guys!!

Attached Image

Both would help actually, only pedals are usually cheaper than attenuators. There's a difference of course - sound is better with attenuator device, BUT don't expect to hear a lot of clean sounds when cranked. I suggest you first start with a pedal, and later if you plan to get an attenuator, first go in some studio and crank the amp. If you really like how it sounds like that, get attenuator wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:31 PM