> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Quenzoz's Poli-mentoring
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 7 2012, 07:56 AM
Instructor
Hello again mate - check it out biggrin.gif This is your very own thread and I would like to start by asking you to tell me a little bit about yourself and your experience so far, as well as what you want to achieve from the perspective of musicianship/ guitar playing biggrin.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 7 2012, 01:32 PM
GMC:er
Hey there Cosmin! biggrin.gif, by the way! Before hand I'd like to excuse for the long post tongue.gif

Well I'm 18 years old, from Denmark. I've played the guitar for 15 months plus more or less 1 week biggrin.gif , it's pretty funny how I actually had a guitar for way longer and actually been a member of GMC since November 2010, although I just signed up and I didn't even play. Oh well, I must have been an idiot at that time laugh.gif

My music taste is pretty wide, I am definitely a fan of good solo work.
A few guitarists that I really happen to like is Guthrie Govan, Paul Gilbert, Richie Kotzen, John Petrucci, Steve Vai, Marco Sfogli, Jason Becker, Joe Satriani, Jeff Loomis, Mark Tremonti, Slash, Andy James, Kiko Loureiro, Andy Timmons, Jimi Hendrix, Gary Moore, Zakk Wylde, Greg Howe, John 5, Michael Romeo, Nuno Bettencourt, Eddie Van Halen, Jimmy Page & Eric Johnson, so hopefully there should be someone you like too so we have some in common wink.gif, of course there are more biggrin.gif

Band wise I really like Slash, hes new stuff with Myles Kennedy is just mind blowing, especially Myles great singer also a member of one my favorite bands Alter Bridge! Other than that I really like Muse, the Aristocrats, Led Zeppelin, Lamb of God, AC/DC, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Judas Priest, Hatesphere, System of a Down, Iron Maiden, All That Remains, Opeth, Van Halen, Deep Purple, DevilDriver, Children of Bodom, Pantera, Disturbed, Wolfmother, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Tool, Avenged Sevenfold, Meshuggah, Bullet for my Valentine, Extreme, Megadeth, Killswitch Engage, Deftones, Katatonia, Dillinger Escape Plan, Bloodbath & many more!

When it comes to genres I'd describe me as a guy that listens to hard rock, metal & fusion. It really depends on what I am listening for, but as long as it just sounds great biggrin.gif

Where I currently am is I think somewhere between beginner/intermediate stage, definitely depends on what area I'm at! I am definitely at a level where I have to work a lot on my rhythm. I've posted a video of my own playing, including my very first video and guitar recording I've ever done in the thread I have at Gabriel's board ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIgEhfBBW6M ), it's me playing a song by Slash - You're a Lie. I currently have a little project I call the 'Slash Project' I want to learn every single song from hes latest album 'Apocalyptic Love' ! biggrin.gif Other than that I've started on some ear training with Gabriel since my ears are terrible, so I am currently trying to listen to song & figure out whats being played, great fun, & I can't wait till the day I'll start to try & analyze a Guthrie Govan song! biggrin.gif, the funny thing is that if I was asked a week ago about what I wanted to learn I'd just say 'teach me how to shred', but since I've recorded my own playing, my opinion have changed completely, all I can say now is that I want to be able to groove! I really want to have GREAT rhythm, really be able to follow the drums, metronome, just the band in general! And then I also think that the soloing will become easier, of course I will eventually want to be able to play Govan, Gilbert, Vai & Satriani stuff, but I really think I need to get a good control over my rhythm playing! smile.gif , And I'll still get to learn solos since I have my Slash project going which has 15 songs and because its Slash there is a solo for each song biggrin.gif, plus I'll learn some hard rock rhythmic! smile.gif. The kind of rhythm I'd really like to learn is actually the kind you seem to be covering a lot in your lessons! biggrin.gif I really like your Funk Metal Riff lesson, your Metal Metrics, Katatonia Style, etc! Sadly I don't have a baritone guitar for the drop a tuning, but man it sounds so amazing, but especially that Funk Metal biggrin.gif, that's just pure golden! And later I'd like to learn to create my own rhythm patterns, create solos, write songs, learn to play a lot of different crazy music! smile.gif

So there is a long way to go on this amazing journey smile.gif. Just to sum up a little bit, in case you have forgotten everything due to my long post.... biggrin.gif
I am currently working on the Slash Project, the Slash Complete Style series here at GMC and ear training.
Besides that I don't have a certain practice routine, I am still wondering if I should get one, I just seem to get tired, but to be honest, I've never created a good one, all I've created is just one to get better at AP, Sweep, Legato, Tapping, etc...

And also this is how I practice, and maybe you have some advice on how to improve my way of practicing, etc, but all I can say that it definitely seems to work and happens to be the best way I've been practicing, since I've started smile.gif. I just practice whenever I feel like, at first I look the guitar pro tab, I take part by part/riff by riff and lets say its at 120 BPM, I then go to 60 BPM, then I put the metronome on, also at the same time I hear the riff in guitar pro, then I make sure I can play it at tempo and have my foot tapping a long to the metronome, then I slowly get to 120, then I go back to 60 with just the metronome on and make sure I can play a long and have my foot tap along. This happens to be a completely new way of practicing, that I just started on ever since I recorded my own playing, before I just played along to guitar pro at a slow speed getting to the actual speed but without playing with metronome, having my foot tapping along. So I am trying to get a good grasp timing! smile.gif, besides that I sit a little with my tuner and try and get my bends in better pitch, I just started doing that yesterday tongue.gif

So yeah! That's probably it tongue.gif, for now wink.gif. I can't wait to get started on becoming a great guitarist!

Cheers! smile.gif

Tobias

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 8 2012, 02:40 PM
Instructor
Wow biggrin.gif Tobias, actually your long post has provided me with a pretty clear picture regarding your wishes in respect to music and the instrument.

Mate, you can use all the bands and guitarists above as inspiration BUT you need to develop your own musical self smile.gif I wanted to say this because you have stated 'I want to play like....and like....' several times. I myself am a big fan of almost all the artists you have listed! Except Judas Priest and a few others laugh.gif I really don't like that music tongue.gif

Understanding rhythm and becoming groovy will provide a VERY solid base for soloing - all the guitarists you stated are great rhythm players as well as lead players. Control over rhythm will provide a very wide approach over lead playing because you will have a dynamic range which you won't achieve otherwise smile.gif

Well, in order to learn those lessons with drop tunings, we can go to drop D if you wish - the concept is what matters for now, not the tuning necessarily.

Let's take your rhythmic education seriously and start by telling me what your knowledge about rhythm is so far (BTW I subbed to your channel) oh and don't vibrate and bend with your fingers biggrin.gif Use your wrist mate!

What say you?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 8 2012, 03:01 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 8 2012, 03:40 PM) *
Wow biggrin.gif Tobias, actually your long post has provided me with a pretty clear picture regarding your wishes in respect to music and the instrument.

Mate, you can use all the bands and guitarists above as inspiration BUT you need to develop your own musical self smile.gif I wanted to say this because you have stated 'I want to play like....and like....' several times. I myself am a big fan of almost all the artists you have listed! Except Judas Priest and a few others laugh.gif I really don't like that music tongue.gif

Understanding rhythm and becoming groovy will provide a VERY solid base for soloing - all the guitarists you stated are great rhythm players as well as lead players. Control over rhythm will provide a very wide approach over lead playing because you will have a dynamic range which you won't achieve otherwise smile.gif

Well, in order to learn those lessons with drop tunings, we can go to drop D if you wish - the concept is what matters for now, not the tuning necessarily.

Let's take your rhythmic education seriously and start by telling me what your knowledge about rhythm is so far (BTW I subbed to your channel) oh and don't vibrate and bend with your fingers biggrin.gif Use your wrist mate!

What say you?

Cosmin

Hey again! biggrin.gif

Yeah it would be nice to be able to play like and like and like and like biggrin.gif and then combine it all, haha biggrin.gif, but of course I need to create my own music, the problem is I just keep saying to my self, I need to get better technical first, and wait till the day I can play Technical Difficulties by Paul Gilbert back wards with my teeth, but I guess I should probably just get started instead of using 300 different excuses tongue.gif.

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say 'telling me what your knowledge about rhythm is so far'.

Also thanks for the tip on bending/vibrato, I'll try that, always good with some advice! biggrin.gif

And yes, drop D tuning sounds fine smile.gif

Tobias

This post has been edited by Qenzoz: Sep 8 2012, 03:02 PM

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 9 2012, 04:06 PM
Instructor
Sure thing amigo wink.gif We'll go with drop D then. Now when I was referring to rhythm, I was thinking about:

- knowledge and sense regarding rhythmic subdivisions
- time signatures
- groove
- being able to use rhythmic elements consciously in any given context (rhythm or lead)

Why not grab the Metal Metrics 4 and try a recording with it? smile.gif First, against the metronome, ok?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 9 2012, 06:15 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 9 2012, 05:06 PM) *
Sure thing amigo wink.gif We'll go with drop D then. Now when I was referring to rhythm, I was thinking about:

- knowledge and sense regarding rhythmic subdivisions
- time signatures
- groove
- being able to use rhythmic elements consciously in any given context (rhythm or lead)

Why not grab the Metal Metrics 4 and try a recording with it? smile.gif First, against the metronome, ok?

Cosmin

Ello! smile.gif, out of the 4 things I only know about time signatures (I think biggrin.gif). 4/4 is 4 quarter notes being played a bar, 2/4 is 2 quarter notes being played a bar, 3/4 is 3 quarter notes being played a bar, 7/8 is the same as 3.5/4, meaning 3 & ½ quarter note being played a bar, 9/8 would then be same as 4.5/4 tongue.gif, 12/8 would be the same as 6/4, and obviously correct me if I am wrong.
I haven't been reading or studying it, so I could definitely be wrong. But it just seems to be a lot like mathematics, and if I am not wrong the second note value is what you count, ehmm.. Let me try and explain laugh.gif (e.g. 12/8 is the same as 6/4 meaning you can have 6 quarter notes a bar, but when you play 12/8 you count it in eight notes and in 6/4 you count it in quarter notes (the metronome) ), I hope that makes any sense tongue.gif

And hell yeah! I'll definitely get working on Metal Metrics 4, sounds really awesome! wink.gif

Tobias

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2012, 08:52 AM
Instructor
Hehe! it makes a lot of sense wink.gif

Just don't try to subdivide the 9/8 into 4.5/8 two times biggrin.gif

We can tackle each time signature and invent formulas for it smile.gif But first, I would really like to get you top notch with tightness, timing and clean rhythm playing, so Metal Metrics 4 is where we begin!

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 11 2012, 09:08 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 11 2012, 09:52 AM) *
Hehe! it makes a lot of sense wink.gif

Just don't try to subdivide the 9/8 into 4.5/8 two times biggrin.gif

We can tackle each time signature and invent formulas for it smile.gif But first, I would really like to get you top notch with tightness, timing and clean rhythm playing, so Metal Metrics 4 is where we begin!

9/8 into 4.5/8? huh biggrin.gif, I went from 9/8 to 4.5/4 tongue.gif Anyways! Top notch tightness and all the other awesomeness sounds great! smile.gif

I am almost ready to record Metal Metrics 4, but there is something weird going on with my guitar, can't figure out if it is the battery or not, since I switched it, so if I fix that today I should be able to record a video later today if not it'll be tomorrow first and I'll try and get my hands on a new battery and hope for the best! biggrin.gif

Also a little side question, I'm starting to dig these PRS guitars, first of all its obvious how they look.. Just amazing biggrin.gif, and they tend to sound just as great as they look, and even the cheap ones for around the 800 EUR seems to be great, they've also gotten some great reviews. I was wondering, which PRS guitar would you recommend for some good metal drop tunings? smile.gif

Tobias

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 11 2012, 03:37 PM
Instructor
biggrin.gif Well, I am waiting for the recording and in the mean time - I will DEFINITELY recommend my two guitars:

- PRS Paul Allender Signature - either the old or the new model
- PRS Mike Mushok Baritone guitar smile.gif

You CAN'T go wrong with these!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 11 2012, 09:48 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 11 2012, 04:37 PM) *
biggrin.gif Well, I am waiting for the recording and in the mean time - I will DEFINITELY recommend my two guitars:

- PRS Paul Allender Signature - either the old or the new model
- PRS Mike Mushok Baritone guitar smile.gif

You CAN'T go wrong with these!

Cosmin

Nice!! I'll probably get one of these, they sound just as great as look wink.gif (maybe both - one for drop A and one for Drop C, etc laugh.gif)

Also, I think I'll be getting the AMT you have too, I just love your sound especially for this kind of metal riffing biggrin.gif

Now, I was wondering, since I am sitting here and recording, just to the metronome, and I must say that is just bitching hard huh.gif , but I'm definitely working on it, some more practice should make it easier smile.gif

Other than that I was wondering do you have a good tip to get these stupid harmonics a lot clearer? laugh.gif

Tobias

P.s. Really really awesome riff(s)! wink.gif

Fast edit -> Do you happen to know anything about this guitar? PRS SE-Custom 24 ( http://www.thomann.de/dk/prs_se_custom_24_wb.htm )

And is Metal Metrics 4 in tempo 100 or 120? Since the guitar pro tab says 120 but the backing track says 100, but when I set the guitar pro tab to 100 it feels really slow laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Qenzoz: Sep 11 2012, 09:53 PM

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 12 2012, 08:03 AM
Instructor
I think it's 120 - don't remember too well laugh.gif Play with the backing track and it'll get ya there wink.gif

Nice! Just as I have them biggrin.gif Paul Allender is in drop C and Mike Mushok in drop A!

About the C24 - it's a nice guitar! I'd recommend the SE Custom 24 Anniversary Edition though - it's sexier biggrin.gif

Thanks for your kind thoughts mate! Practice with full focus on the details wink.gif The lesson is not that hard, but it has a lot of small details which people are prone to forget about!

The harmonics smile.gif hmmmm, I always imagine that I am Zakk Wylde when I am playing this riff live and it always works! You need to find those sweet spots where the harmonics sound full - experiment a bit by picking randomly till you find them!

Let me know if I can assist further with this one smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 12 2012, 12:56 PM
Well, the lesson doesn't seem to be so technical, the only new thing that I am introduced to is the way to play harmonics, which I like! smile.gif And of course be able to play only to the metronome, which is hellish frustrating! laugh.gif

And I'll get a video up later today! smile.gif, hopefully I can do an okay take biggrin.gif

Tobias

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 12 2012, 07:31 PM
Here we go! smile.gif

http://youtu.be/1LE-GGrsnOw

Now I'm not sure, since I'm pretty tired, but I can't tell if the video and the audio us a little bit out of synch huh.gif

But anyways, I got this in my second take, of course there could definitely be improvements, but I figured if I don't upload one now, I'll never get it done. But I gotta say trying to tap your foot along to the beat helps, since at take 1 I didn't try and tap my foot along to the beat, and then my timing was even worse than it is now laugh.gif, so then I tried to tap my foot along to the beat and I ended up with this! tongue.gif

Perfect, yet? Of course not! But I figured it'd be best if I upload it now, since then I can get some great advice and then it'll get a lot easier! smile.gif , also I tried out Drop C, I just had to change my low e string from a 46 to 52, and yeah I know I need to get my self a new camera and a better guitar sound laugh.gif

Also I hope I'll get a much better rhythm fast, and be able to make some good recordings, since it is pretty demotivating, after I've started to record my self, I hear so many mistakes and terrible timing sad.gif, well better late than never.

Cheers! smile.gif

Tobias

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 13 2012, 08:59 AM
Instructor
Hey Tobias! You are on the yellow brick road my friend smile.gif

The timing seems ok but you need more balance and heaviness man and the articulation elements should be wider and in better timing - I mean the vibrato and bends/ microbends.

These are the sort of details that I am talking about - it might seem simple but it's not that simple smile.gif

Don't worry about the quality as we're doing just fine for this stage - indeed the image is a little off from the sound, but hey, trust me, I know how it feels to be tired and not understand what is going on.

Please focus on the details above and let's see an improved take wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 13 2012, 01:29 PM
Roger! smile.gif I'll practice hard and get ready for the next take, can't stand playing so terrible.

Cheers! smile.gif

Tobias

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 14 2012, 07:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Sep 13 2012, 12:29 PM) *
Roger! smile.gif I'll practice hard and get ready for the next take, can't stand playing so terrible.

Cheers! smile.gif

Tobias

Go Tobias! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 15 2012, 04:07 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 14 2012, 08:03 PM) *
Go Tobias! biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif, I was actually wondering how would you practice a lesson like this? Riff by riff, bar by bar, the whole piece, or? smile.gif

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 16 2012, 01:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Sep 15 2012, 03:07 PM) *
biggrin.gif, I was actually wondering how would you practice a lesson like this? Riff by riff, bar by bar, the whole piece, or? smile.gif

Hey man wink.gif

Well, learn each part perfectly at a slow tempo and then connect them all at the slowest backing available backing track.

Increase speed once you can play relaxed and without making mistakes wink.gif

That's my way tongue.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 16 2012, 07:34 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 16 2012, 02:47 PM) *
Hey man wink.gif

Well, learn each part perfectly at a slow tempo and then connect them all at the slowest backing available backing track.

Increase speed once you can play relaxed and without making mistakes wink.gif

That's my way tongue.gif

Cosmin

Awesome! I was wondering is there any way to change the backing tracks key from C minor to D minor? My guitar sounds weird in Drop C laugh.gif

Thanks in advance!

Tobias

--------------------
Guitar

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 17 2012, 06:56 AM
Instructor
Hey man! Yes there is wink.gif Try this: http://www.ronimusic.com/

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:39 AM