The Awesome Thing About Recording Yourself.
seagull
Aug 30 2008, 02:58 PM
GMC:er
Hey Gmc!

I sat jamming the other day and wanted to record the harmonized interlude in Master of Puppets.
So I started with the backing guitar, did it without metronome but strangely it was pretty much in the original time sig. huh.gif
That's one awesome thing.

Then I recorded the first guitar, the one that starts playing on the 17th fret on the B-string. Then the second one that starts on the 20th fret on the B-string, and included the solo too.
Was pretty satisfied with it, because:

A: I didn't use a metronome
B: It wasn't perfect, so now I can work on the flaws I found.
C: You feel good about yourself and gain confidence in your playing!

So I am encouraging everyone on GMC to record something they love to play, especially if you feel that you aren't progressing from your 150 bpm triplet shredding. tongue.gif

Hope you like it, and have fun! smile.gif
/Seagull

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by seagull: Aug 30 2008, 03:00 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  MOP.mp3 ( 1.62MB ) Number of downloads: 287

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SonofDestiny
Aug 30 2008, 03:03 PM
You're right man! smile.gif

I have only started doing this recently. I always thought that I played flawless, but I was wrong... haha. A lot of errors have been corrected now though.

Good topic. Everyone should record themselves.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Wishlist: the world.

+Quote Post
Canis
Aug 30 2008, 03:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hehe, I don't hear much wrong stuff when I just play. But I recorded myself some weeks ago, and I though: "Wow, I suck [insert donkey genitals here]!"

Getting better and better every day now, though tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 30 2008, 03:26 PM
Yeah, recording yourself not only builds confidence in your playing, but it helps you find your flaws and what you need to work on..

Its alot of fun to take just a simple backing track and add the rhythm guitar in then add the solos.. I dont even watch tv anymore, id rather mess with this stuff..

yours sounds nice, try to do the whole song..
heres a backing track for it..
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/met..._of_puppets.htm

heres what im working on at the moment, im gonna finish it this weekend and add the final solo at the end... it started off with just a simple backing track of bass and drums and i added all the guitar

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Aug 30 2008, 03:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
seagull
Aug 30 2008, 03:36 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Aug 30 2008, 04:26 PM) *
Yeah, recording yourself not only builds confidence in your playing, but it helps you find your flaws and what you need to work on..

Its alot of fun to take just a simple backing track and add the rhythm guitar in then add the solos.. I dont even watch tv anymore, id rather mess with this stuff..

yours sounds nice, try to do the whole song..
heres a backing track for it..
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/met..._of_puppets.htm

heres what im working on at the moment, im gonna finish it this weekend and add the final solo at the end... it started off with just a simple backing track of bass and drums and i added all the guitar

Will try to do the whole song when I get the time. smile.gif

Yeah already listened to yours and it sounds cool. Pretty tight riffage. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 30 2008, 03:41 PM
QUOTE (seagull @ Aug 30 2008, 03:36 PM) *
Will try to do the whole song when I get the time. smile.gif

Yeah already listened to yours and it sounds cool. Pretty tight riffage. smile.gif

Thanks...im gonna finish that last solo today

yeah try to do the whole song, id like to hear it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 30 2008, 04:00 PM
Recording for me does everything but build confidence. It's a good thing to do, and I do it, but every tiny little flaw I find makes me feel horrible. Recording, for me, is good for everything but the confidence, that makes it worth it, but saying it's a confidence booster in general is not something I can agree with.

--------------------

+Quote Post
seagull
Aug 30 2008, 04:04 PM
Well as always it is impossible to agree with everyone on everything. tongue.gif

But I find that it is a good thing to be aware of one's flaws and mistakes and thence work on them. That way you can boost your confidence in the long run. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Aug 30 2008, 04:15 PM
QUOTE (Fsgdjv @ Aug 30 2008, 04:00 PM) *
Recording for me does everything but build confidence. It's a good thing to do, and I do it, but every tiny little flaw I find makes me feel horrible. Recording, for me, is good for everything but the confidence, that makes it worth it, but saying it's a confidence booster in general is not something I can agree with.

doesnt it make you more confident when you listen to how you were playing 4 months ago and listen to what you are doing now?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Aug 30 2008, 04:17 PM
QUOTE (Canis @ Aug 30 2008, 10:06 AM) *
Hehe, I don't hear much wrong stuff when I just play.

Yeah, it's interesting how you miss most it of when playing, but on playback, whoa! ohmy.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Aug 30 2008, 04:23 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Aug 30 2008, 05:15 PM) *
doesnt it make you more confident when you listen to how you were playing 4 months ago and listen to what you are doing now?

No, it doesn't. I'm very critical, let's just say that.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 30 2008, 04:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I agree with you seagull! Recording yourself realy is great, it's very motivating!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 31 2008, 01:00 PM
Instructor
Yeah it can be a nice surprise to after a few years tackling with some piece you are finally capable of playing it perfectly and with comfort. Seems like all of a sudden king of thing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:02 AM