Latency!, Please help!
erik
Aug 26 2007, 07:16 PM
GMC:er
I keep getting latency in my recordings! I ran this test and it showed that the latency now and then shoots up to about 1000.. I got a Native Instrument Audio Kontrol 1 audio interface.

It's really annying! when I record it sounds like I fall out of the rythm blink.gif (yeah its not my playing thats wrong, I have tested a lot)

I have followed the tips on the first link and deactivated a lot of hardware, but it doesnt work! I have also followed some tips from a magazine, turning off all visual fancy stuff in XP (I have windows XP home btw), turning off antivirus, turning off all the programs that launch when I start up the PC.. And it doesn't seem to go away!

I suspect that it has something to do with my 3 and a half year old computer...
specs:

- CPU: AMD Athlon XP2600+ 1.917 Ghz Barton

- RAM: TwinMos PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5 32M*8/16chip, 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

- Motherboard: EPoX 8K9A7I (Socket A)

If you need more specs just let me know. I also read somewhere that the cause of latency is because that the windows OS doesn't operate the audio in real time. Does mac do that? Maybe I should buy the cheapest mac I found?

Or should I just buy another 512 mb ram?

The system requirements for the audio interface is:
- XP service pack 2 (i got SP2 btw)
- Pentium or athlon 1.4 GHz
- 512 MB RAM
- USB 2.0 (I got that as well)

Can somebody please help me with this?? It sucks spending a lot of money on something that doesnt work the way it should....

edit: btw I use cubase LE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by erik: Aug 26 2007, 07:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 26 2007, 07:24 PM
QUOTE (erik @ Aug 27 2007, 02:16 AM) *
Or should I just buy another 512 mb ram?

The system requirements for the audio interface is:
- XP service pack 2 (i got SP2 btw)
- Pentium or athlon 1.4 GHz
- 512 MB RAM
- USB 2.0 (I got that as well)
Can somebody please help me with this?? It sucks spending a lot of money on something that doesnt work the way it should....

edit: btw I use cubase LE

I can't imagine RAM will change anything, but your processor 1.4ghz seems a bit low, i have 3.06ghz in my pc and its at least a year old. I can only guess that would be a problem, and what about your sound card? Or maybe that isnt important because of this Audio Kontrol 1 you have, i cant check it out my internet is going too slow.

Sorry this post is no help, these are just probably factors to make your problem happen, but I am unsure.....
Someone with knowledge will soon post.

- Hemlok smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Aug 26 2007, 07:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt
Aug 26 2007, 07:33 PM
not sure if this helps, but my computer had latency problems with all my plugins like ez drummer and korg legacy collection. I installed asio4all (a free program) and adjusted it to a much lower latency. This has so far fixed all my problems.

--------------------
"Keep Bleeding On 'Til The Day You Die, Forever Love it Loud" - Black Label Society

+Quote Post
erik
Aug 26 2007, 08:21 PM
Hemlok: your reading the system reqirements for the audio interface. MY specs are written earlier in the post

- CPU: AMD Athlon XP2600+ 1.917 Ghz Barton

There was a software that came with the audio interface that could set the amount of latency. It's set at minimum latency..

This post has been edited by erik: Aug 26 2007, 08:22 PM

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Aug 26 2007, 08:29 PM
woops sorry, i can hardly see, cant wear my glasses because they are making my eyes hurt and giving me headaches i need get new ones this week. hope you sort your problem out anyway

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 26 2007, 09:05 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Hi Erik,

Your Computer spec is not a problem for recording you shouldn't have latency problems. Lack of CPU horsepower and RAM will limit the total number of effects and tracs you can have but for simple recording you have more than enough of everything.

Latency can be a complex issue, so what exactly are the symptoms? From your post it sounded like you were recording something against a backing, but when you played it back it was out of time?

First step is to make sure you are using the ASIO driver and not any other driver - this is the somgle most important thing. I'm not familiar with Cubase LE but there will be an option to set this somewhere. In order to do that, you must have installed the Audio Kontrols ASIO driver to be able to select that - you probably did that when you installed everything.

Check that out and let us know.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Aug 26 2007, 09:05 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
erik
Aug 26 2007, 09:30 PM
Yup, it seems like the asio driver is innstalled.
Attached Image

There where two alternatives when I clicked at the ASIO Multimedia Driver:
- ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver
- Audio Kontrol 1

Yes, I recorded to a backing track. MIDI drums to be precise. I also tried to record over a built in metronome in Cubase, and then I just recorded the speakers. When I played it back with both the recorded metronome and the metronome from cubase, there was a slight delay.

Before I got the Audio Kontrol 1 I just pluged the headphone out from the amp into my PCI soundboard (creative live something) and recorded it over several tracks in adobe auditon without any latency.. But then I tried to download cubase to see what that was all about, and then I got latency in cubase, but not in adobe. (this was all Before I got the Audio Kontrol).

Perhaps cubase is to blame? mellow.gif

This post has been edited by erik: Aug 26 2007, 09:32 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 26 2007, 09:42 PM
Stay awaw form the ASIO multimedia driver and use the Kore one - the multimedia driver is a generic one supplied by Cubase and it sucks. Switch to core and you should get better results smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
erik
Aug 26 2007, 09:44 PM
by core do you mean ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver?

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 26 2007, 09:50 PM
QUOTE (erik @ Aug 26 2007, 04:44 PM) *
by core do you mean ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver?

Sorry, my bad, I meant "Audio Kontrol 1" not Kore (Kore is a different Line 6 product that has an interface in it).

In general you should always use the ASIO driver that matches the hardware you want to use. Multimedia and Driect X ASIO drivers are Generic and usually have huge latency issues.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 26 2007, 10:03 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
First I would set the audio to Kontrol 1 rather then DirectX as MS aren't renowned for their low latency audio drivers . Then if you can use direct monitoring (think Kontrol supports AsioDM).

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
erik
Aug 26 2007, 10:11 PM
thanks I think that did the trick! It sounds better now, but the "latency checker" still shoots up to about 1000 now and then as mentioned in the first post.. But I dont think theres much latency now.. wierd.

thanks again!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 26 2007, 10:19 PM
Might be worth running the ASIO setup/check again the Erik.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 26 2007, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (erik @ Aug 26 2007, 05:11 PM) *
thanks I think that did the trick! It sounds better now, but the "latency checker" still shoots up to about 1000 now and then as mentioned in the first post.. But I dont think theres much latency now.. wierd.

thanks again!

Cool - BTW, I wouldn't trust that latency checker, it doesn't seem to be ASIO aware so the results are probably misleading.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
erik
Aug 26 2007, 10:35 PM
ok, thats a relief smile.gif

Really appriciate your help! both of you. Thanks! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 26 2007, 10:38 PM
Np Erik. Just good to know it's sorting itself out/is sorted out biggrin.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 31 2007, 07:18 AM
Instructor
I use "ASIO4ALL" driver with Cubase and it works perfectly. You can try that one also.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Vince
Sep 10 2007, 03:47 PM
I use a Line 5 Toneport. And this works perfectly. No latency at all.
The GX is also very afforable. The package also includes ASIO driver which are compatible with all the recordings programs.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:12 AM