Bigbsy Trem Problem, Help me stay in tune please!
djhampson
Mar 29 2007, 03:58 PM
GMC:er
Hi Guys,

I just parted with my hard earned and bought a Gretsch Electromatic Duo Jet with Bigsby (Damm thats a mouthful and a half).

Anyone the bigsby is causing me some problems with regards to tuning. The slightest touch on the bigsby (up or down) and all the string lose their pitch by almost a full step.

Now I'm pretty sure the problems up at the nut or pegs because the bigsby is pretty simple (besides the bridge there isn't anything for the string to really catch on).

Another forum suggested rubbing some pencil lead into the groves in the nut to help stop the strings catching but this hasn't helped much.

I'm thinking that the tuning pegs are at fault because they seem to have a bit of variance in them. By that I mean when I'm tuning up to pitch it takes a different amount of turning each time. With my previous guitar the amount I had to turn the peg seemed to be fairly constant.

So has anyone got any ideas how I can narrow down the problem? And any suggestions as to how to fix or improve it would be appreciated.

I'd like to put a locking nut on the guitar but I'm not sure if its possible? Also what about using locking tuning pegs - can someone explain how they help and if they'd work?

Thanks,

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 29 2007, 04:17 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (djhampson @ Mar 29 2007, 04:58 PM) *
I just parted with my hard earned and bought a Gretsch Electromatic Duo Jet with Bigsby

If you just got it could it be that the strings are brand new? Just asking because new strings take a while before they stretch and will go flat until they are done stretching.

New strings can be stretched by hand but I never do that myself but I rather play around for a couple of hours tuning up constantly. Lots of bending and whammying.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
djhampson
Mar 30 2007, 01:10 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (MickeM @ Mar 29 2007, 04:17 PM) *
If you just got it could it be that the strings are brand new? Just asking because new strings take a while before they stretch and will go flat until they are done stretching.

New strings can be stretched by hand but I never do that myself but I rather play around for a couple of hours tuning up constantly. Lots of bending and whammying.

I've had the guitar for a few weeks now and the strings are definetly worn in. If I don't touch the Bigsby then the strings stay in tune quite well.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:09 PM