Song I'm Working On
JVM
Oct 2 2009, 02:55 AM
Learning Roadie
I posted this in another thread, but it's getting buried, so I decided to move it here (it's more appropriate here anyway). What do you guys think? I'm especially interested in feedback on the drums and riff, which I can't decide if I like or not (or maybe it just needs a different sound), and the mix.

Attached File  gin_money2.mp3 ( 3.46MB ) Number of downloads: 326

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
jafomatic
Oct 2 2009, 03:10 AM
GMC:er
I don't have much constructive feedback, it's all subjective. I like it a lot. The song arrived right when I expected, it immediately reminded me of something. The vocals arrived just after that and they were exactly what I'd hoped for.

So, quite unhelpful but also very positive: it's a really good song smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Oct 2 2009, 03:12 AM
Learning Rock Star
I love it ...

I am not an expert in mixing but I like it. I really think that the rythm section suit the voice pretty well. When you have this kind of singing, I like to have a rythm that is backing the vocal section.

Hope I'm clear wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 2 2009, 09:46 PM
Instructor
It's pretty good, nice intro and great vocals. I think the intro lacks something, like a theme or something, like you inserted that piano line in the second verse. Something simialr would be cool in the intro.

As for the outro, I think you can enhance the fade out a bit, by adding couple of more layers of piano and let the piano finish solo, cut the drums some time before the end.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 2 2009, 09:47 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Frederik
Oct 2 2009, 10:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
really cool !

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 2 2009, 10:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the advice guys, I have been doing a little bit of mix adjustment, and I'll play around with your ideas Ivan.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Oct 2 2009, 11:00 PM
Wow. What a voice.

I'm not going to lie, your voice reminds me a ton of Robert Plant.

This is great. Wish they played stuff like this on the radio smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 2 2009, 11:01 PM
Learning Roadie
To make it clear, its not me singing biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 2 2009, 11:06 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Wow, that was a great song!!!
Reminded me a lot of Oasis to be honest, one of their songs smile.gif

You have a great voice too, impressive smile.gif

I can't say to much about the mix, as I'm on a laptop, but it sounds good!

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 4 2009, 09:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Here's the latest, possibly the finished product (except in .wav, so hopefully higher quality) unless anyone spots anything, what do you guys think?

Attached File  gin_money2.mp3 ( 3.48MB ) Number of downloads: 191

This post has been edited by JVM: Oct 4 2009, 09:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 5 2009, 08:51 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 4 2009, 10:52 PM) *
Here's the latest, possibly the finished product (except in .wav, so hopefully higher quality) unless anyone spots anything, what do you guys think?

Attached File  gin_money2.mp3 ( 3.48MB ) Number of downloads: 191

That's a great song man! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Oct 5 2009, 09:23 AM
GMC Founder
Oh my this was really good! laugh.gif

I might have had more comments if I had been into writing these kinds of songs myself, but all I can say now is that all the ingredients seem to be where they should be!

Have you written many songs like this before?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Oct 5 2009, 01:27 PM
Hi

This is very very good. Sounds professional as well. The singer sounds a little bit like Billy Corgan. Well done. smile.gif

Was this recorded at home, or in a real studio?

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 5 2009, 02:16 PM
Instructor
I think it is great! The new version sounds "fresh" and pleasant to listen. The only part I didn't like that much is the chorus with the fuzz guitar and drums, it's a bit messy and not properly focused, the sounds are clashing to each other a bit. and although everything is cool, the drums are suffering a bit, they are kinda muddy.

The ending is nicer now, it has a cool effect, I can only suggest that you try to insert couple of more layers of piano, and finish the piano outro not with a fade but with strong big root key chord. Prolongue it just couple of seconds more and try to make the drums fade out even more seamlessly. This is just a suggestion for experimenting of course, if you find something that works better along the way, listen to your heart and soul! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 5 2009, 07:10 PM
Learning Roadie
I think I need to clear a few things up (probably should have at the start). Firstly, glad you all like it, but I did not write this song. I am only working on remaking it. This idea started life in this thread, hence the 'I posted this in another thread, but...' shtick at the top of the thread.

If you guys like what you hear, you might be interested to check out the band Marcy Playground, the writers of this song and many other good ones smile.gif

I am working on this song for a contest, which was brought to my attention when I went to the interview for the internship I'm now a part of with a local record label. I don't expect to win the contest, but more of a 'show what I can do' type of thing for my boss. Here is the page for the contest, for which the deadline is tomorrow [edit - actually, it seems to have been moved a week ahead to the 13th] . You can also listen to the original song there, in fact they have their whole latest album (!!!) up for listening, downloading, remixing etc. There are many other good takes, but the community seems to be mainly electronic-music oriented, so I think I stand out a little bit.

Sorry for any confusion smile.gif

So, what I have done is rearrange the song a bit, record guitars, and did the drums.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 5 2009, 09:16 AM) *
I think it is great! The new version sounds "fresh" and pleasant to listen. The only part I didn't like that much is the chorus with the fuzz guitar and drums, it's a bit messy and not properly focused, the sounds are clashing to each other a bit. and although everything is cool, the drums are suffering a bit, they are kinda muddy.

The ending is nicer now, it has a cool effect, I can only suggest that you try to insert couple of more layers of piano, and finish the piano outro not with a fade but with strong big root key chord. Prolongue it just couple of seconds more and try to make the drums fade out even more seamlessly. This is just a suggestion for experimenting of course, if you find something that works better along the way, listen to your heart and soul! smile.gif

Your advice is always appreciated Ivan. The drums may sound a bit muddy because they're meant to sound 'electronic', they come from the claustrophobic expansion for EZdrummer, and I have applied some distortion to them. Is that maybe what you're hearing? If not I can look into them further. I will try to make the chorus less 'clashing' as you say, I kind of feel the same way but to be honest I'm not sure how I can improve it. Hmm...

This post has been edited by JVM: Oct 5 2009, 07:07 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Oct 5 2009, 08:43 PM
It sounds great. Really similar to Chris Cornell.

Only thing you need to do is get someone to work on the production, to make it sound really pro.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 6 2009, 12:09 AM
Jazz Instructor
Wow, awesome voice I really like it sounds so professional!

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 14 2009, 04:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys, if you liked what I did, I'd appreciate it if you'd vote for me here. A winning vote (or top 3) doesn't win the competition, which is decided entirely by the band, but it does get you a free signed copy of the CD and bragging rights I guess wink.gif Thanks!

This post has been edited by JVM: Oct 14 2009, 04:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Oct 14 2009, 11:28 PM
Instructor
Very nice work!
Production is top notch and mix very nice!
Did you do everything on this?
Killer vocals too!!!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Skalde
Oct 15 2009, 12:50 AM
Learning Roadie
You got my vote for sure smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:27 PM