Good Amp Settings.
ChordMaster345
Apr 15 2011, 09:15 PM
GMC:er
I am getting bored with one sound. Are there any good amp settings for clean, crunch etc.
Thx biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
SirJamsalot
Apr 15 2011, 09:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (ChordMaster345 @ Apr 15 2011, 01:15 PM) *
I am getting bored with one sound. Are there any good amp settings for clean, crunch etc.
Thx biggrin.gif

What kind of amp are you sportin?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Apr 15 2011, 10:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
If you have a tube amp with a passive eq,and want to see what its true tone is, just turn all the eq knobs to 10 biggrin.gif Passive EQ potentiometers are adjustable resistors that cut frequencies, they don't add. So for example, if you have your mid knob at the 12 o'clock position, and turn it up to 3 o'clock, you're not adding mids, you're actually just subtracting less mids. Listen to the first Van Halen album if you wanna hear an amp running wide open.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
ChordMaster345
Apr 15 2011, 11:14 PM
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Apr 15 2011, 10:03 PM) *
If you have a tube amp with a passive eq,and want to see what its true tone is, just turn all the eq knobs to 10 biggrin.gif Passive EQ potentiometers are adjustable resistors that cut frequencies, they don't add. So for example, if you have your mid knob at the 12 o'clock position, and turn it up to 3 o'clock, you're not adding mids, you're actually just subtracting less mids. Listen to the first Van Halen album if you wanna hear an amp running wide open.

I've got a Line 6 Spider 3 Amp, which is pretty good, but I need some more variations

+Quote Post
dark dude
Apr 15 2011, 11:26 PM
Your amp has presets, have you gone through them all?

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
ChordMaster345
Apr 16 2011, 02:42 PM
QUOTE (dark dude @ Apr 15 2011, 11:26 PM) *
Your amp has presets, have you gone through them all?

Never mind

+Quote Post
JamesT
Apr 16 2011, 07:03 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I've gotta say, I know what you mean. Sometimes I get tired of "my" tone too. I think the only thing to do is start trying other stuff. Over the years, the best thing that probably happened to me is that I couldn't always afford the best equipment so I was forced to look at getting the best tone possible from the equipment I had. I started out with one pedal, an MXR Distortion+. I was running a very clean solid state amp and didn't realize that I could not get a really good overdriven sound from what I had. But I do remember spending lots of hours tweaking the tone knobs and listening, adjusting the amount of distortion level on the MXR unit. Then some time later I got a Boss CE2 chorus pedal. With that box I also spent a lot of time weaking and listening until I got what I could get out of it. One at a time I added to my collection and eventually could afford a tube amp for better overdriven tones (rhythm and lead both).

My point is that I actually think it is better to "endure a little pain" when it comes to not getting the right tone. With the Line6 stuff, you have a great arsenal of tools that with patience, you can get a great professional sounding tone from. It will take experimentation and even research for sure, but you will be able to get some good sounding stuff out of that amp. Work with your ears, your imagination, and probably most importantly your fingers to get the best sound you can get from what you have.

For me, I always have worked to have a clean sound, an "edge" sound, a crunch sound, a lead sound, and then a "big" lead sound. Try working on your own library in this way. Just build 5 of your own presets in the categories above, and then over the years, you can tweak those, build similar ones on different rigs, and finally arrive at your "ultimate" rig with a range of tones that you're satisfied with. Even with just a "decent" rig, you can get pretty close to emulating your favorite guitarist tones and for sure you'll know if not already that it's their talent and skill that sets them apart even tonewise.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 11:08 PM