Jollygreengiant1 Mtp Thread - December
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 1 2009, 08:46 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hello Jollygreengiant1,

Welcome to bass MTP. This will be your thread in which we'll communicate.
I will post weekly assignments on Wednesday's here.

For start I want you to write me a short CV about you - your playing level/experience, styles, preferences, what do you with to learn etc...

This bass mtp will be in a "bass course" form and we'll cover lots of topics ranging from technique to improvisation.

Have fun! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jollygreengiant1
Dec 1 2009, 10:01 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 1 2009, 09:46 PM) *
Hello Jollygreengiant1,

Welcome to bass MTP. This will be your thread in which we'll communicate.
I will post weekly assignments on Wednesday's here.

For start I want you to write me a short CV about you - your playing level/experience, styles, preferences, what do you with to learn etc...

This bass mtp will be in a "bass course" form and we'll cover lots of topics ranging from technique to improvisation.

Have fun! biggrin.gif

i have been playing the bass for just under 2 years, i have played and recorded with numerous bands of different styles , but i mostly play rock, blues and slap, i would like to expand my playing styles and my goal is to be able to create more diverse bass lines and fills when composing or jamming with a band. i decided to play bass because i originally thought it would help me improve my guitar playing skills, which it has, but i also found that the bass felt more natural to me than the guitar, and found that there is much more to the bass than being a four string guitarist which is why the bass is now my main instrument as the playing styles of the bass seem endless and never cease to fascinate me. im very grateful to be chosen for MTP and i am looking forward to my first task!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 2 2009, 03:19 PM
Weekly assignment 1:

Technique and timing workout

Lesson to practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-1/

Goal : To be able to play all 6 exercises without mistakes on various tempos and all over the fretboard.

Purpose : Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills.

Instructions :

Start tempo: 60 bpm
Target tempo: 120 bpm
Time to practice: 30 minutes daily

You should start by playing quarter notes (meaning one note per metronome click). After you successfully master the tempo of 120bpm (in quarter notes) switch to playing 8th notes (meaning 2 notes per metronome click). You need to play each exercise continuously over whole fretboard. In practice that means - you want to start an exercise on 1st fret, do the exercise ascending and descending and once you finish the pattern immediately move the whole thing one half step higher starting now on 2nd fret and move up the neck that way. For successful practice you need to be able to get to the 12th fret without mistakes on each tempo you practice on.

Rules of the practice:

1. Fretting hand will be fretting 1 finger per fret. You fretting hand thumb should be behind the neck - giving support.
2. Picking hand will be doing alternate picking. When picking notes alternate strictly between index and middle finger. Keep alternating even when changing strings you are playing on. Playing two notes in a row with a same finger is considered as a mistake when doing this kind of practice.
3. Picking hand thumb should be anchored on a "string above" the one you are playing on. If you are playing on E string, rest the thumb on the pickup. If you are playing on G string rest the thumb on D string - you get the concept.
4. Do not go to a higher tempo until you are comfortable on the previous one regarding all aspects mentioned.
5. Making mistake in alternating, fingerings or thumb positioning will restart your exercise. Pay attention to ALL the points mentioned. Do not go to a faster tempo if you can't maintain perfection in all three aspects (alternate,thumb position,fingering).

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. On which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
In the end of the week I want you to record one of the patterns (your choice) played on the tempo your are comfortable with (highest comfortable one for you at that time) starting from 1st and ending on 12th fret. Include a metronome click or drum backing in your recording. Recording should be VIDEO but if you can't make it I can accept audio one too (but I need video to see your posture and everything so aim for the video one).

Deadline to complete: 9th of December

Good luck and remember to post your questions and progress!

You can post your assignment before the deadline and I recommend doing so - then we can go on to the next one etc. This month you will have 4 assignments and 1 MTP REC take to complete.

p.s. If you need the drum backing track for the recording, just let me know which one (tempo) you need!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Dec 2 2009, 03:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jollygreengiant1
Dec 2 2009, 08:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 2 2009, 04:19 PM) *
Weekly assignment 1:

Technique and timing workout

Lesson to practice: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-1/

Goal : To be able to play all 6 exercises without mistakes on various tempos and all over the fretboard.

Purpose : Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills.

Instructions :

You should start by playing quarter notes (meaning one note per metronome click). After you successfully master the tempo of 120bpm (in quarter notes) switch to playing 8th notes (meaning 2 notes per metronome click). You need to play each exercise continuously over whole fretboard. In practice that means - you want to start an exercise on 1st fret, do the exercise ascending and descending and once you finish the pattern immediately move the whole thing one half step higher starting now on 2nd fret and move up the neck that way. For successful practice you need to be able to get to the 12th fret without mistakes on each tempo you practice on.

Rules of the practice:

1. Fretting hand will be fretting 1 finger per fret. You fretting hand thumb should be behind the neck - giving support.
2. Picking hand will be doing alternate picking. When picking notes alternate strictly between index and middle finger. Keep alternating even when changing strings you are playing on. Playing two notes in a row with a same finger is considered as a mistake when doing this kind of practice.
3. Picking hand thumb should be anchored on a "string above" the one you are playing on. If you are playing on E string, rest the thumb on the pickup. If you are playing on G string rest the thumb on D string - you get the concept.
4. Do not go to a higher tempo until you are comfortable on the previous one regarding all aspects mentioned.
5. Making mistake in alternating, fingerings or thumb positioning will restart your exercise. Pay attention to ALL the points mentioned. Do not go to a faster tempo if you can't maintain perfection in all three aspects (alternate,thumb position,fingering).

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. On which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
In the end of the week I want you to record one of the patterns (your choice) played on the tempo your are comfortable with (highest comfortable one for you at that time) starting from 1st and ending on 12th fret. Include a metronome click or drum backing in your recording. Recording should be VIDEO but if you can't make it I can accept audio one too (but I need video to see your posture and everything so aim for the video one).

Deadline to complete: 9th of December

You can post your assignment before the deadline and I recommend doing so - then we can go on to the next one etc. This month you will have 4 assignments and 1 MTP REC take to complete.

p.s. If you need the drum backing track for the recording, just let me know which one (tempo) you need!

hello again,

today i practiced for about an hour. and found a big flaw in my playing thanks to this excersize, once i got past 100 bpm, i begin to use the same finger, so i began from 60 bpm while carefully watching my picking fingers and it is going very well, so far i am up to 80 bpm without using the same finger twice, hopefully i will be able to bring my playing up to the speed i used to play when i was making this mistake. thanks

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 2 2009, 10:09 PM
QUOTE (Jollygreengiant1 @ Dec 2 2009, 08:22 PM) *
hello again,

today i practiced for about an hour. and found a big flaw in my playing thanks to this excersize, once i got past 100 bpm, i begin to use the same finger, so i began from 60 bpm while carefully watching my picking fingers and it is going very well, so far i am up to 80 bpm without using the same finger twice, hopefully i will be able to bring my playing up to the speed i used to play when i was making this mistake. thanks

Hello,

Good to hear you are practicing! This exercise focus on 3 points - one finger per fret approach , alternating finger picking and thumb rest positioning. How are you doing on thumb rest positioning?
You should watch your right hand as this exercise is about strict alternating, start really slow and go up the tempo. This exercise will "unlock" your technique and fretting so everything should feel easier to play after some practice.

Now playing twice with the same finger and when switching strings is not a mistake literally. But alternating is much more economic technique and should feel more natural when you get used to it. Also on fast tempo alternating is kind a must if you want to keep up....One finger can only play certain number of notes in a second on its own.

Let me know how the practice is going. It would be great to see a video of your playing as assignment post, so I can see your posture and everything but if you can't make it - audio will do it.

For MTP REC take you will need video though so its good to practice your video/audio recording skills too.

Let me know your progress...

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jollygreengiant1
Dec 3 2009, 08:59 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 2 2009, 11:09 PM) *
Hello,

Good to hear you are practicing! This exercise focus on 3 points - one finger per fret approach , alternating finger picking and thumb rest positioning. How are you doing on thumb rest positioning?
You should watch your right hand as this exercise is about strict alternating, start really slow and go up the tempo. This exercise will "unlock" your technique and fretting so everything should feel easier to play after some practice.

Now playing twice with the same finger and when switching strings is not a mistake literally. But alternating is much more economic technique and should feel more natural when you get used to it. Also on fast tempo alternating is kind a must if you want to keep up....One finger can only play certain number of notes in a second on its own.

Let me know how the practice is going. It would be great to see a video of your playing as assignment post, so I can see your posture and everything but if you can't make it - audio will do it.

For MTP REC take you will need video though so its good to practice your video/audio recording skills too.

Let me know your progress...

Cheers,
Bogdan

Day 2:
i practiced for an hour and 30 minutes and managed to move the speed up to 140 bpm, im practicing moving up from the 1st fret to the 12th fret, with all patterns and ive noticed my playing gets quieter as i go down to the d and g string, so im now focusing on those strings specifically as well as all four. i think if i make as much progress as i have today i will be able to post a decent video up tomorrow. Thanks again

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 4 2009, 01:31 AM
QUOTE (Jollygreengiant1 @ Dec 3 2009, 08:59 PM) *
Day 2:
i practiced for an hour and 30 minutes and managed to move the speed up to 140 bpm, im practicing moving up from the 1st fret to the 12th fret, with all patterns and ive noticed my playing gets quieter as i go down to the d and g string, so im now focusing on those strings specifically as well as all four. i think if i make as much progress as i have today i will be able to post a decent video up tomorrow. Thanks again

Great that you are putting so many hours in and that you can see progress! Is it 140 bpm 8th notes?
You should practice moving all patterns up the 12th fret on each tempo. Once you can play a pattern without mistakes on a certain tempo and in time/comfortably - its time to go to the next tempo/exercise. You should definitely focus on D and G strings to get them sounding even as others. Are you applying movable thumb rest position , one string above position when playing these exercises?
Looking forward to the video. If you can recording this soon its great, then I'll post you another assignment and you can also continue pushing the tempo forward.

This month we will cover 4 assignments + 1 MTP REC take on one of the lessons.

Good job with the practice man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jollygreengiant1
Dec 4 2009, 05:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 4 2009, 02:31 AM) *
Great that you are putting so many hours in and that you can see progress! Is it 140 bpm 8th notes?
You should practice moving all patterns up the 12th fret on each tempo. Once you can play a pattern without mistakes on a certain tempo and in time/comfortably - its time to go to the next tempo/exercise. You should definitely focus on D and G strings to get them sounding even as others. Are you applying movable thumb rest position , one string above position when playing these exercises?
Looking forward to the video. If you can recording this soon its great, then I'll post you another assignment and you can also continue pushing the tempo forward.

This month we will cover 4 assignments + 1 MTP REC take on one of the lessons.

Good job with the practice man!

if an 8th note is 2 notes to every click of the metronome then yes, i am currently resting my tumb on the top of my pickup, and arching my hand over the string to i can more effectively reach the d and g string, but it sacrifices my volume which is why i am concentrating on thoose strings

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 4 2009, 10:48 PM
QUOTE (Jollygreengiant1 @ Dec 4 2009, 05:31 PM) *
if an 8th note is 2 notes to every click of the metronome then yes, i am currently resting my tumb on the top of my pickup, and arching my hand over the string to i can more effectively reach the d and g string, but it sacrifices my volume which is why i am concentrating on thoose strings

I see. What I would recommend now is to practice movable thumb rest position technique too (3rd technique focus point of the exercise). Movable anchor is a very good and useful technique to have under your belt , it helps with economy of motion and its also very important in muting! Goal of this technique workout is to :

1. practice your left hand fingering
2. practice alternating finger picking
3. practice movable thumb anchor technique

All 3 focus points make the exercise complete and efficient.

It may feel weird and hard at start but you will get used to it. You don't have to play like that all the time (though once it gets into your technique you will utilize it on your own when needed) but for the sake of this technique workout I think your should do it (so that the exercise and practice is complete). You will later on see why you practiced that...

Also utilizing movable thumb rest will help you getting even sound on all the strings (problems you have on D and G strings). Idea is to have your picking fingers picking under the SAME angle on ALL the strings so that the picking motion stays the same and there for economic.

Yeah , 2 notes per click is 8th notes! Congrats on getting it up the speed.

Cheers,
Bogdan

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Dec 4 2009, 10:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jollygreengiant1
Dec 5 2009, 11:01 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 4 2009, 11:48 PM) *
I see. What I would recommend now is to practice movable thumb rest position technique too (3rd technique focus point of the exercise). Movable anchor is a very good and useful technique to have under your belt , it helps with economy of motion and its also very important in muting! Goal of this technique workout is to :

1. practice your left hand fingering
2. practice alternating finger picking
3. practice movable thumb anchor technique

All 3 focus points make the exercise complete and efficient.

It may feel weird and hard at start but you will get used to it. You don't have to play like that all the time (though once it gets into your technique you will utilize it on your own when needed) but for the sake of this technique workout I think your should do it (so that the exercise and practice is complete). You will later on see why you practiced that...

Also utilizing movable thumb rest will help you getting even sound on all the strings (problems you have on D and G strings). Idea is to have your picking fingers picking under the SAME angle on ALL the strings so that the picking motion stays the same and there for economic.

Yeah , 2 notes per click is 8th notes! Congrats on getting it up the speed.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Day 3:
i practice for around an hour today, and have tried the movable thumb anchor method you have spoken of, it is odd a first but it is beggining to feel more natural when im playing and had greatly improve my playing on the D and G string, i am now playing each excersize like you have described, start from the first fret and end on the 12ths, and my transition from moving to the next fret is not smoother than is was before.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 5 2009, 01:48 PM
QUOTE (Jollygreengiant1 @ Dec 5 2009, 11:01 AM) *
Day 3:
i practice for around an hour today, and have tried the movable thumb anchor method you have spoken of, it is odd a first but it is beggining to feel more natural when im playing and had greatly improve my playing on the D and G string, i am now playing each excersize like you have described, start from the first fret and end on the 12ths, and my transition from moving to the next fret is not smoother than is was before.

Let me just explain more in detail how you can practice moving up the frets with this exercise, there are two ways:

1. Play exercise pattern (1 2 3 4 for example) starting on the 1st fret E string, play it on A D and G strings too and then repeat the pattern on G string and go down to E string. Once you play the pattern on E string, repeat the same pattern on E string but move it all 1 fret higher.

2. Second method can be when you play last pattern on G string, just move one fret up on the G string (to 2nd fret) and repeat the patter and go downwards towards E string. Then you will once go up 1 fret on G string, second time on E string.

here is a video of a GMC student doing the exercise using 2nd method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0i9o2nMK7k...layer_embedded#

I'm glad that you are now utilizing all 3 points of the exercise. Movable anchor will be very useful technique to have down. Good job practicing so far! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 7 2009, 08:32 PM
How is work on the assignment recording going? smile.gif

EDIT: Do you need any certain tempo backing track for recording the assignment! ? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Dec 8 2009, 12:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jollygreengiant1
Dec 8 2009, 10:27 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 7 2009, 09:32 PM) *
How is work on the assignment recording going? smile.gif

EDIT: Do you need any certain tempo backing track for recording the assignment! ? smile.gif

my apologies about the gap, my internet was being replaced in my area, so i did not have the internet everything is fine and i shall post my video tommorow as i have just got it back tonight. apologies!

This post has been edited by Jollygreengiant1: Dec 8 2009, 10:27 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 9 2009, 12:01 AM
QUOTE (Jollygreengiant1 @ Dec 8 2009, 10:27 PM) *
my apologies about the gap, my internet was being replaced in my area, so i did not have the internet everything is fine and i shall post my video tommorow as i have just got it back tonight. apologies!

Sounds cool! smile.gif If you need any help (backings etc) just contact me! smile.gif
Looking forward to the video(remember to choose the tempo you feel comfortable with when recording).

Cheers,
Bogdan

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 9 2009, 11:51 AM
Weekly assignment 2:

Technique and theory workout

Lessons to practice:

Technique part : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/technique-exercises-2/

Theory part :
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/misc-less...ls-bass-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3285

Goal : Further extend technique by playing a new set of exercises this week and being able to play faster(bpm). Learn and understand theory about intervals.

Purpose : Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills. Learn a basic theory topic - intervals. You really need to understand them well for future progress!

Instructions for technique exercises:

Rules of the practice:

Instructions for theory practice:

I want you to you read the material in my spoken video of the lesson about intervals. You also need to read the Andrew's thread about intervals as its more elaborated and covers more material. Try to understand the intervals, what they are, how are they built, how to name them etc....Try to get into the material and understand it, not just read it. It is a very important subject you need to master for your future progress.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. Regarding technique exercises - which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
Regarding theory assignment, I want you to consider it your primary one! Go through all the materials (you don't need to actually learn my intervals video lesson's bass line, just the theory about intervals). I will post up a small test for you to fill in on monday/tuesday so that will be your assigment this week.

Recording exercises will be optional but if you can - by all means do it !

Deadline to complete: 16th of December

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Dec 9 2009, 11:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jollygreengiant1
Dec 10 2009, 08:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 9 2009, 12:51 PM) *
Weekly assignment 2:

Lessons to practice:

Theory part :

Goal : Further extend technique by playing a new set of exercises this week and being able to play faster(bpm). Learn and understand theory about intervals.

i practiced for an hour today, ive found it very tricky to get used to, but im getting there, im currently playing on about 100 bpm playing 8th notes, for some reason my audio recording software is deciding to be awkward so i will try and post my video up as soon as possible

Purpose : Develop proper right and left hand technique and posture + work with a metronome to gain better time keeping skills. Learn a basic theory topic - intervals. You really need to understand them well for future progress!

Rules of the practice:

I want you to you read the material in my spoken video of the lesson about intervals. You also need to read the Andrew's thread about intervals as its more elaborated and covers more material. Try to understand the intervals, what they are, how are they built, how to name them etc....Try to get into the material and understand it, not just read it. It is a very important subject you need to master for your future progress.

Requirements :

Post updates on your practice daily if possible, describing what have you done. Regarding technique exercises - which tempo have you started and ended up. What part of the exercise (technique) is challenging etc...
Regarding theory assignment, I want you to consider it your primary one! Go through all the materials (you don't need to actually learn my intervals video lesson's bass line, just the theory about intervals). I will post up a small test for you to fill in on monday/tuesday so that will be your assigment this week.

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 9 2009, 12:51 PM) *
Weekly assignment 2:

Lessons to practice:

Theory part :

Rules of the practice:

Requirements :

i practiced for an hour today, ive found it very tricky to get used to, but im getting there, im currently playing on about 100 bpm playing 8th notes, for some reason my audio recording software is deciding to be awkward so i will try and post my video up as soon as possible

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 10 2009, 09:25 PM
QUOTE (Jollygreengiant1 @ Dec 10 2009, 08:56 PM) *

EDIT: Yeah these patterns are little more tricky then ones we did in the previous week. But with some practice , you will get used to playing them! smile.gif

Please post audio or video recording as soon as you can. So that you don't fall back...and to follow the rules - you shouldn't be getting new assignments until previous ones are finished.

Any tempo your are comfortable most with is welcome! smile.gif

Then we'll set your MTP REC recording for this month.

You can use Reaper or any other recording software to get your take done...

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Dec 10 2009, 10:35 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jollygreengiant1
Dec 12 2009, 08:48 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 10 2009, 10:25 PM) *
EDIT: Yeah these patterns are little more tricky then ones we did in the previous week. But with some practice , you will get used to playing them! smile.gif

Please post audio or video recording as soon as you can. So that you don't fall back...and to follow the rules - you shouldn't be getting new assignments until previous ones are finished.

Any tempo your are comfortable most with is welcome! smile.gif

Then we'll set your MTP REC recording for this month.

You can use Reaper or any other recording software to get your take done...

i practiced for an hour today, the intervals now feel natuaral to me and im beggining to pick up the speed, i am buying a new microphone tommorow so i will post my video as soon as i get one

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 12 2009, 11:18 PM
QUOTE (Jollygreengiant1 @ Dec 12 2009, 08:48 PM) *
i practiced for an hour today, the intervals now feel natuaral to me and im beggining to pick up the speed, i am buying a new microphone tommorow so i will post my video as soon as i get one

Looking forward to the video of the previous assignment! smile.gif

Regarding intervals, please read through the Andrew's article about it since test will be written one. It's also good to go through the lesson to get a feeling where they are located on bass fretboard and to "see" the intervals in practice - but learning lesson itself not for note is not mandatory.

Keep up the good work! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 15 2009, 07:36 PM
Any news about the first assignment recording ? You will need to fill in the test for the second one too so I can give you further assignments and we need to discuss this months REC take...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:58 PM