Is This Bad?, Bout practicing
RIP Dime
May 16 2008, 03:52 PM
GMC:er
I dunno why, but I really enjoy practicing fast things to a metronome really slow, I dunno, I just really enjoy it.

I just realised it, because I just played the licks(bout 4 bars) from 1 video of Muris' AP lesson for 1.5 hours straight...@ 80-90bpm 16th notes, I only paused when I messed up, I didn't really get tired or bored(prolly cuz Muris has some fun licks!). After those 1.5 hours I sped it up till I struggled with it @ 120bpm, but I only practiced it @ 100-120bpm for 30min at the most, then I got tired and bored.

So is it bad to practice something slow for so long? Or does this point out some flaw in my technique? Because I get tired when I'm speedpicking quite quickly, after 30min or so I get bored and tired. Or should I take small breaks after every 10min or something?

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
DeepRoots
May 16 2008, 04:10 PM
Get to da Chopper!
I like to practise things in shorter sessions. Some alternate picking licks will kill my arm even when im not maxing out on the speed. So i usually work up the speed in each 15-20 minute session and then after a short break (2-5 minutes) i'll start again.

Usually when i start the practise over again after the break i'll start at maybe 15 bpm lower than what i ended on, and continue trying to push the boundary a bit.

In the breaks i usually stretch my fingers a little, stretch my arms etc..get a bit of movement going to help blood flow.

I think that being able to play warp speed for hours on end will come with time and practise. I'll leave John Petrucci do that for now untill we catch up wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 16 2008, 04:52 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I don't see a problem in practicing some things also in slower speeds, actually for me some things are harder when I have to play them slow wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Joe Kataldo
May 16 2008, 04:56 PM
Instructor
I prefer focused practicing instead of many hours biggrin.gif

--------------------
________________________________________________________________________________

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
May 16 2008, 05:47 PM
I dont think there is anyting wrong with playing slow for so long. I think that much time playing slowly really allows for your fingers to build the muscle memory of what they are supposed to be doing. That way, when you speed things up, you dont have to think so much if at all about what your fingers need to be doing. I have also heard different approaches to learning new material that is played fast such as: play it slow, like 50% for 21 days ( if you have that kind of patience ) and then begin speeding it up. The only reason for waiting this long is for the neurological receptors in your brain to strengthen the correct signals it sends to the fingers which takes time and = less mistakes. To sum it up, keep playing slowly, as long as after you do, you try and speed it up to tempo ( which should also be done slowly ). Happy picking!

This post has been edited by Jenkinson: May 16 2008, 05:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
May 16 2008, 05:57 PM
Cool, thanks guys, I'll prolly take breaks now to strech and rest when pushing speed.
Joe, what exactly do you mean by focused practice? I think I know what you mean, but just to be clear...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 16 2008, 10:59 PM
Instructor
in this way you are in challenge with your self and that a good step.
from time to time you must test your speed.
i agree

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 18 2008, 01:08 PM
Instructor
Long sessions for me at least are not that productive as short focused sessions. 15-20 minutes on one stuff, then moiving on to another, usually 2-3 smaller stuff in 3 hours at a time going around in circles. Only at the end of the sessions I am at maximum speed. In the middle of sessions I'm having a couple of smaller pauses of 5-10 minutes, massaging the hands a little. Too much pauses and fingers need rewarming up.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JVM
May 18 2008, 03:01 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ May 16 2008, 11:52 AM) *
I don't see a problem in practicing some things also in slower speeds, actually for me some things are harder when I have to play them slow wink.gif

Me too. I wonder why that is biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
May 18 2008, 07:49 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 18 2008, 01:08 PM) *
Long sessions for me at least are not that productive as short focused sessions. 15-20 minutes on one stuff, then moiving on to another, usually 2-3 smaller stuff in 3 hours at a time going around in circles. Only at the end of the sessions I am at maximum speed. In the middle of sessions I'm having a couple of smaller pauses of 5-10 minutes, massaging the hands a little. Too much pauses and fingers need rewarming up.

I guess long sessions are better for me because I still haven't developed my technique to anywhere near my full potential. In the long sessions I'll play maybe a couple of licks that are difficult for me over and over, I mess up alot, but everytime I do I try to fix what I did wrong. I'm also working on my economy of motion and muscle memory, and keeping it clean and sounding good. The long sessions tend to produce better results for me, I think it may be because you're such a good guitarist you already got your technique down! biggrin.gif But I still do the shorter sessions for improv work, and such.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 18 2008, 08:08 PM
Instructor
Too much coffee or sugar maybe wink.gif laugh.gif

@RIP Dime

Thanks man, and of course everybody has their ways of how things work best when doing practice. I don't think that level of playing determines shorter sessions tho, there are a bunch of way better players than me that do longer sessions too. So it's all matter of personal style. My suggestion - experiment everything and find what suits you best. My session example is here as an example only. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 18 2008, 08:12 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
May 18 2008, 11:08 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 18 2008, 08:08 PM) *
Too much coffee or sugar maybe wink.gif laugh.gif

@RIP Dime

Thanks man, and of course everybody has their ways of how things work best when doing practice. I don't think that level of playing determines shorter sessions tho, there are a bunch of way better players than me that do longer sessions too. So it's all matter of personal style. My suggestion - experiment everything and find what suits you best. My session example is here as an example only. smile.gif

Thanks, good advice Ivan. I'm grateful that you instructors take time to help us out! biggrin.gif

Actually playing slow stuff for me is hard in a band situation, because the bigger gaps leave bigger room for error!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:02 PM